61

Jonathan

Although the Olympic figure skating roster is all but set, the US Figure Skating Nationals was tonight and baring any awful injury or not competing Alexis was going to be on her way to Sochi with me next month as a part of the Olympics.

So we arrive in Boston where tomorrow night there would be a hockey game which I will partake in. But for right now the ice was for the figure skating national championship so we can finish out the home stretch of the first part of the season before we take a break for the Olympics.

"When can I see sissy" Kimberly asks as we walk into the garden. I had her hand in mine as we go to scan our tickets to get inside. Of course I had access to backstage and down in the tunnels but I didn't want to break Alexis of her focus so we were just going to be spectators until she was done.

"When she's done performing" I explain.

"But I miss her now" she pouts.

"I know sweetie, but this is where she belongs. She's doing what she's always meant to do, there's no stopping the inevitable" I explain.

"I don't know what that means" she admits and I laugh. Often times I forget she's just 8.

"It means that you can't see her right now. But when you can nothing will stop you from doing so" I promise.

We get scanned and security checked before being allowed in. We go to head to our seats but I stop when I see some of the guys from the Hawks sitting near our seats. I smile as I walk over and see about half the team watching warm ups.

"What the hell are you guys doing here" I ask as we get over there. Kimmy lets go of my hand and runs right over to Sharpy. He was such a little shit and she was too, they were perfect for each other.

"We wanted to see what all the hype was about" Seabs claims and I smile.

"You have no idea" I insist.

"I've heard some things" he admits.

"But to be here in the crowd, to watch her out there on the ice and somehow feel what she feels. You're not going to know what to say" I insist.

"We'll see about that" he challenges. He gives me a hard time for cheering her on because she's American, but beauty and grace knows no country lines. It's in everything she does and it's a driving force in her.

Eventually the competition gets started and everyone else finds their seats. There's a lot of really good girls who will also be in the Olympics, but none of them has what Alexis has when she was on the ice. I don't have that feeling of inevitability with everyone else like I do with her. Like I can't take my eyes off them. Alexis was something special, and she was about to show us all why.

She has been working really hard and really long on this routine. She said this is the hardest routine she's ever had and that she was doing stuff she didn't even need. She was going to do it just because she can.

Finally she takes the ice and you can just feel the place get electric, the hair on your arms raises and your mouth gets dry. Some people rise to their feet as they look out over the ice. She smiles big as she skates around and they announce her name. She keeps searching the crowd until her eyes finds mine. She smiles a bit brighter before refocusing on the task at hand. She hits her mark and strikes a pose until the crowd was completly silent. Only then does the music fill the building to the top.

"When the visions around you
Bring tears to your eyes
And all that surrounds you
Are secrets and lies
I'll be your strength
I'll give you hope
Keeping your faith when it's gone
The one you should call
Was standing there all along

And I will take you in my arms
And hold you right where you belong
Til' the day my life is through
This I promise you
This I promise you."

In the matter of seconds it's like she's the only other person in the building. Everything else fades out as she connected to each person here individually. You can see in her eyes, how much passion she has. You can feel every emotion she is feeling. It's like she's taking you on this journey that her routine is going on and you're right there with her. With every jump and every turn she gets better and better. She gets stronger and faster, she's unstoppable.

And even though I have never figure skated before I know that what she's doing was special. And not on the score sheet or the rubric. She was art in motion, like a beautiful painting that could not be explained, that could not be tamed. She was like fire on ice.

"I've loved you forever
In lifetimes before
And I promise you never
Will you hurt anymore

I give you my word
I give you my heart
This is a battle we've won
And with this vow
Forever has now begun

Just close your eyes (close your eyes)
each loving day (each loving day)
And know this feeling won't go away (no)
Til' the day my life is through
This I promise you
This I promise you."

"Oh my god" Duncs whispers from beside me and I smile.

"She's incredible huh" I ask.

"I didn't know something on the ice could be so beautiful. I mean, I knew figure skating was cool, but this is unbelievable. She makes it look so effortless yet I still can't get my jaw off the floor. She's..." he trails off.

"She's my girl" I smile. He turns to me with a smug smirk on his face and I can't help but smile.

"She's something" he agrees.

"Over and over I thought
When I hear you call
Without you in my life, baby
I just wouldn't be living at all

And I will take you in my arms (I will take you in my arms)
And hold you right where you belong (right where you belong)
Til' the day my life is through
This I promise you, babe

Just close your eyes each loving day (each loving day)
And know this feeling won't go away (no)
Every word I say is true
This I promise you
Every word I say is true
This I promise you
Ooh, I promise you."

As soon as she's done everyone was on their feet clapping, cheering her on. Even the other skaters were clapping, that's how good she is. You have to respect people of her caliber, realize that what we all just saw was history and that we will never see anything like her again.

Awards come and go and she was once again a national champion. She secured her spot in the Olympics and was well on her way to completing the most insane comeback in the world.

After she takes pictures and does interviews I finally get to see her. She looked so cute in her team USA jacket that I felt dirty for thinking that.

I pull her into a long kiss and in that moment I felt like I could fly.

"Baby you were amazing" I insist as we break apart and she blushes.

"I was okay" she defends.

"You were incredible" Duncs insists and I smile. Not even the strongest lion could resist her.

"Thank you Duncan. Means a lot coming for a athlete like yourself" she admits.

"I could never do what you just did. I almost cried... and I don't cry" he insists and I laugh. Good old Duncs.