33

Jonathan

Our much awaited vacation was about to kick off and we couldn't wait, but since we couldn't control time we had no choice but to wait. So in the mean time we were going to hang out in Canada until it was time to leave. Since I know all about Chicago and where Alexis grew up she insisted I show her around where I became who I am. So I take her to all the cool spots and show her the history. Manitoba wasn't one of the big cities in Canada. Not like Calgary and Toronto and Montreal at least. But Winnipeg was home to me and I loved it here.

Naturally we end up at the ice rink and mess around as much as we could without risking anything. Kimberly works on her slides and I watch proudly from the sideline.

"Want to do something fun" Alexis asks me.

"I'm always down for something fun" I admit.

"How about we try to do double skating. You know, lifts and spins and stuff" she says and my eyes go big.

"Are you sure we should do this considering you recently had knee surgery" I ask.

"It was a simple procedure and it's not like I'm asking you to do anything crazy. Just some simple stuff, I'm just curious" she shrugs.

"I'll do it only if you promise to teach me some ice skating" I bargain and she smiles.

"Deal."

After I felt comfortable enough Alexis and I join Kimberly on the ice and I have to admit this is by far the weirdest thing I have ever experienced. Never had I been out here without a stick and a puck. There seemed to be so much space out here now and I wasn't sure what to do with myself.

"Oh shit" I laugh as I nearly fall on my face as I try to stop and spin. But I regain my balance before I took a spill.

"You're doing great" Alexis teases as she skates over to me.

"How do you do this stuff" I question trying to catch my balance.

"Natural talent" she jokes and I just shake my head.

"Do you want me to hold your hand" Kimmy asks and I smile. I had to hold hers for a while before she got the hang of it. Now she's a pro.

"No thank you sweetie" I assure her. The last thing I needed to do was crush her.

"Lets do a few laps before I teach you anything" she insists.

"That's a good plan" I sigh as I check my balance. This was going to be harder than I thought.

After a few laps I finally get the hang of it. It was still weird but now I feel like I wasn't going to fall face first into the ice.

We start by doing some simple jumps tosses. There's some players who actually have a figure skating background because they learned it to help them with hockey growing up. I don't know how much this is going to help me but I was still determined to learn. And after nearly chucking her across the ice once or twice I figure it out. She didn't hesitate for a moment, she trusted me way more than I trusted myself.

"You're a natural" she teases as I lean against the side of the rink for support. Meanwhile she hasn't even broken a sweat.

"Actually you're a natural. I'm a work in progress" I laugh.

"Well when you fall you get back up, that's what matters" she claims.

"That just because I don't want to look weak in front of you" I smirk.

"I just watched you win the Stanley cup, I think you're fine" she promises me.

"Have you ever partner skated with someone" I wonder and she laughs.

"A few times. But I figured it was a lot easier to do it by myself than with someone else. They always thought I was too serious about the skating or too strict and didn't want to skate with me. So I figured I would do it myself" she shrugs.

"Maybe we are too alike" I tease as she giggles. "But I still can't believe that something with figure skating never worked out for you. I figured you would have been amazing at pair skating" I insist.

"I never really found someone I connected with" she shrugs.

"Do you really need to" I wonder.

"Depends. Do you need to connect with the guys on your team" she challenges and I nod.

"Alright. I see your point. But I don't see you turning down another opportunity to skate" he admits.

"It just wasn't for me. I couldn't trust the guys to catch me, my way of skating isn't one that's usually compatible with others. It's strong on its own and trying to get it to match someone else's skills and passion, it just never worked" she shrugs.

"Would you ever trust me to compete" I wonder.

"If you knew how" she admits.

"I think it would be fun. Most couples have their first dance and we can have our first skate" I suggest as she smiles at me.

"That would be so much fun. But I think we should all be back in our own comfort zone for that" she insists making me chuckle.

"I'm with you on that one. But I'm not quite sure how dancing out here would work out" I admit.

"Easy" she insists.

She grabs my hand and pulls me away from the boards of the ice. We stop in the middle of it as her front side gets pressed to mine. I wrap my fingers around her waist and pull her so close that there was no room for even a paper to fit between us. She wraps her arms around my neck so she can pull herself up.

"Follow my lead" she says and I look down at our feet. Step by step we slowly start to dance around. It was unnatural in the way dancing was never my thing. But at the same time I felt like being out here on the ice like this was first nature. Like some innate sense where I knew just what to do. 

She looks up to me with the biggest smile on her face as her grips on me tighten. I can tell she's tried this before but it never worked. And like most things with her and I, this was nothing but a walk in the park for us.

"What song would we be dancing to for our first dance" I wonder.

"I don't know, something beautiful" she guesses.

"I feel like it doesn't really matter to you" I admit.

"I mean... yes and no. No because it's not about the song, it's about how we feel when that song comes on. It's about how we found each other and how we are starting the rest of our lives together from that night on.

But at the same time it is important. Like how I pick songs I can skate to. It has to represent us and how we feel. What we're thinking and what we can't say. No one moment in our lives together should be able to outshine the others but that one is pretty important. Maybe a little bit more than the other" she insists.

"I'm sure a song will come to us. When the time is right and we need to figure it out we will" I promise.

"I don't doubt it" she smiles.