21

Jon

I'm usually not the one to celebrate my birthday. When you're young it's cooler because the stuff you want can be handed to you, but around my age where you already hit the big milestones it's kind of overrated to celebrate tour birthday every year. You're just getting older and there isn't much you want to do for your birthday anymore. Mine usually falls in the first or second round of the playoffs but with the lockout this season it's two days before our first playoff game.

So naturally I was going to spend part of the day with the guys. Have them come over and eat cake and maybe even grill out should the rain hold off. I got both of my girls here with me and we were going to spend the morning inside hanging out and having fun. Lexi made my favorite breakfast and she had a few things to put up before people came over.

"Morning baby" I mumble as I walk into the kitchen. Lexi was very much a morning person and I was too to a certain extent. But only when I needed to be, otherwise I usually slept in.

"Morning sweetheart, happy birthday! How did you sleep" she questions as she hands me a cup of coffee.

"It was fine. It would have been better if you were there with me" I admit and she smirks.

"I would love to be able to sleep in the same bed as you, I'm just worried about Kimberly. I've always shared a bed with her and it'll be weird for her to not be able to talk at 2 am when she gets ideas for when she's going to rule the world and has to share them" she explains.

"Well you guys can't be together forever. She's going to have to sleep alone eventually" I insist.

"I know that. And whenever she's ready I'll go" she defends.

"Where are you going" Kimmy asks as she joins us in the kitchen.

"Nowhere" Alexis claims.

"Then why did you go say you were going somewhere" she asks.

"I'm not leaving. We were talking about you sleeping by yourself and me going to sleep somewhere else" Alexis explains.

"Where would you go" Kimberly wonders.

"I would sleep with Jonny" Lexi says.

"Like a sleepover" Kim questions and I smile.

"Yeah, like a sleepover. And before you ask no you can't have a sleepover with Jonny" Alexis says as the kid lets out a huff.

"Why do you get to have a sleep over with Jonny and I don't" she asks.

"That's just the way it is kiddo" I say.

"Well I don't mind if sissy has a bunch of sleepovers with you. I can get a dog and I can sleep with it instead" Kimberly bargains. Smart girl.

"Wow... I got replaced by a dog in a second" Alexis laughs.

"We can get you a dog, but not right now. Maybe when you're done with school and hockey is over and we know more about the Olympics, then we can get you a dog" I say.

"Pinky promise" she says as she holds her pinky up and I latch mine around hers.

"Pinky promise" I say.

"Alright. So where am I sleeping tonight" Alexis asks because that was never really established.

"You can sleep with Jonny. We can just say it's a part of my birthday gift to him" Kimberly says and I just shake my head. Whatever makes it work.

Alexis finishes up with breakfast and we start to decorate the apartment for my birthday party, if that's what you want to call it. And once we spread out all the balloons Kimberly put all on one table we were pretty much ready.

"Alright old man, you have to open your present from me before everyone gets here" Alexis claims as she hands me a box.

"Oh, is it lingerie" I whisper so Kimberly doesn't hear and she laughs at me.

"No. But if I would have known that's all it took to make you happy I wouldn't have spent so much money on your actual gift" she teases and I shrug.

"I'm a simple man. The less amount of clothing the better" I tease as she rolls her eyes at me.

I take off the wrapping paper and take off the top of the box to see what we were working with. I look inside and let out a loud gasp.

"No way" I yell and she smiles. I pull out the shirt that had a picture of her, Kimberly and I at the bean on it. We kinda looked like a happy family and a lot of times I felt like that too. I was joking saying that I wanted a shirt with us on it to wear when I'm on the road so I'm less lonely and she actually did it.

Kimmy comes running out of her room wearing the same shirt before she stops in front of me. She pulls at it to show that she's matching me and I smile.

"Happy birthday" she cheers.

"Did you do this" I ask as I pick her up.

"Yeah! It was all my idea" she claims as her sister scoffs besides me.

"Hey! I'm the one who got them made" Alexis claims.

"But it was my idea to put the picture on the shirt" Kimberly claims.

"Fine, whatever. You're the best sister ever" Alexis teases.

"I am" Kimmy announces assuredly.

"And I left you a little gift in there too" Alexis claims as she sends me a smirk. I look at the bottom of the box and see a envelope sitting there. I pick it up and open it to see a birthday card that was super cheesy but super cute.

I open up the card and two pieces of paper fall to the floor. I pick them up and my eyes go big when I read what they are.

"You got us Kenny Chesney summer tour tickets at the UC" I squeal and she smiles.

"Right in the first row" she says.

"Oh my god, you're the best" I say as I pull her into a hug. She usually gives me a hard time about how much I play Kenny Chesney because I was a country boy but didn't like to talk about it. But she gets into it and lets me play it around here.

"Happy birthday baby" she whispers in my ear. I pull her into a quick kiss that lasts just long enough to not get a complaint from Kim.

"I love you guys so much" I say as I pull my girls into a hug. Kimberly gives me a kiss on my cheek and I swear my heart just jumped out of my chest.

Eventually my friends come over and we party and listen to music, even some country music more subtly. A bunch of the guys give me a hard time about getting older but it's all out of love.

"You're doing pretty good Cap" Sharpy says as he drunkenly hangs his arm around me.

"How so" I ask.

"Well first of all that's a kick ass shirt" he says referring to the shirt Kimberly got me I had put on.

"Thank you, thank you" I tease.

"Second of all I'm pretty sure Kimmy is the sassiest kid and I love her. I just listened to her get in a argument with Patrick and she smoked him" he claims and I smile.

"Yet another present for me" I nod.

"And third of all... not only is your girlfriend smoking hot but she's super talented too. Man... I think I'm almost jealous of you" he gasps.

"I'm just trying to keep up with you" I tease. He just got married last year and he's expecting his first kid this year. He's doing pretty good for himself, I just can't tell him that no matter how drunk I get.

"You plan on having a kid this year" he asks.

"Absolutely not" I scoff and he nods.

"Good idea" he agrees.