53

Alexis

After spending two short days in Edmonton with Jon, he goes to Winnipeg with his parents for the next game and I come back to Chicago with my sister to continue on with our lives. She goes back to school and her regularly scheduled doctors visits and I go back to training. My next competition was at the beginning of December in New York then I had nationals in Boston before it was time for the big one... the Olympics. As of now I'm holding a spot on the Olympic roster and it should be official in January after nationals. I was so close to having everything I ever wanted...

And I was alone. Of course I have Kimberly and Blue is the sweetest most precious little doggie ever. But Jon was the one who my heart wanted. It felt like mere moments we got to be together before we had to say our goodbyes. Not nearly enough time to scratch that itch I've had to love him. I just couldn't wait until he was back for a while.

Until then I decide to go to lunch with Sierra for a much over due lunch date. She still does the ice girl gig and I see her every home game. We always say hi to each other but never get to talk that much. But with the circus trip she hasn't had much to do in the mean time. So I offer to buy her lunch to hang out with me and she easily agrees.

"Holy crap girl, you look great" she starts as she pulls me into a hug. We decide to meet at a Panera and I was hoping this friend date would last until Kimberly was done with school.

"Thanks. I've been spending a lot of time in the gym and on the ice" I explain.

"When do you compete here in Chicago? I would love to see you live" she insists.

"The middle of December. I'll give you some tickets to come sit with Jon and his family" I promise.

"How has he been" she wonders and I smile.

"He's been amazing. Every day I'm reminded of how lucky I am that I get to know him and love him. Not a day goes by that we don't tell teach other how much we love each other, I wouldn't change a damn thing about him. The team is looking good just as he hoped and he's going to be in the Olympics soon. We just got a dog and Kimberly's doing better. He's always been good, but with all that's been going on he's been a god" I admit.

"That's good to hear. And how's Kimmy" she questions.

"She's just a ray of sunshine. She doesn't let her asthma hold her back. Of course it helps we got her a dog to keep her mind off things. She's a happy little kid and no matter what that's what is most important to me. I want to protect her and I finally can and it's the greatest feeling ever" I sigh.

"And you..." she trails off.

"I've never been happier" I smile. "Life isn't perfect, and I don't want it to be. I want to be worth it and for the first time I feel like it is. It sucks that Jon is gone but at the same time I'm so blessed to have someone so damn hard to let go of. I'm happy that leaving him is the hardest thing I have to do, that makes our time together so much better. I know that no matter where he is in this world he's thinking of me, and that's the greatest feeling in the world" I sigh.

"Wow. You're so... optimistic. It's weird" she teases.

"I know. I don't like letting myself get high, but I can't deny the blessings I'm given. I don't need my parents in order to be happy, not anymore at least. I know that I can survive on my own and thrive with Jon by my side. The stuff that used to haunt me are nothing but memories now. I couldn't be more excited for the future" I admit.

"Can I be a bridesmaid at your wedding" she questions and I look at her weird.

"Is there something you know that I don't know" I question.

"I'm simply stating the inevitable. And putting my name in the pool here for maid of honor" she claims.

"Wow, you already promoted yourself" I tease.

"I just want to be a part of it really. I love you and I love seeing you do good. I swear you're glowing, your presence has just changed so much. And in a good way too. Not that you weren't enjoyable to be around before, but now it's a feeling like there's no denying that you're good and you make everyone else around you better too. You're like a super hero" she accuses.

"I'm no super hero" I blush.

"You kind of are. You're crazy talented and so selfless and really beautiful. I would follow you anywhere" she claims.

"Well if and when I get married, I would love to have you right there next to me" I promise and she gasps.

"Really" she squeals.

"Really! I couldn't imagine being able to get through getting married without you savings my ass a few times just like the good old days" I wink.

"I will do anything you need help with. I know nothing about wedding planning but for you I'll figure it out" she promises.

"But I don't think I'm getting married any time soon" I insist.

"Seriously? You guys are meant to be together" she claims.

"It sure does feel like it, but that doesn't mean we have to get married already" I defend.

"No. But judging from that gold band on your left ring finger I'm assuming he's thought about this before and he already had his practice run" she claims.

"He was just being sweet. Jon doesn't seem like the type to propose so soon" I insist.

"But he does seem like the kind of guy to put a ring on it so other guys get the hint" she admits making me giggle.

"He loves me a lot, I know, I feel it. And I don't care how he shows it, it can be the way he pulls me close first thing in the morning or the way he looks at me through the mirror when I brush my teeth. He's my forever love and ring or no ring that remains true" I promise.

"Can I name the kid too" she questions as I just shake my head.

"Absolutely not" I laugh.