63

Jonathan

After what has seemed like a impossibly long journey, we finally arrive in Russia for the 2014 Olympics. We get another stamp in our passports and some precious moments for our memories as we make our way around the premises. There was the Olympic village and of course the ice arenas among the other cool places to visit. But what we knew best was the paths from housing to the ice and back.

Once we get settled in and my parents do too we go check out the ice. We will be spending most of the time there after all. The figure skating competition was going to happen first then hockey, so besides a few practices and prelim games I get to hang with Alexis the whole time and really be able to support her. I can make it to all her competitions and be right there next to her to tell her "I'm proud of you."

"Where are we going" Kimberly asks as she rides on my back. She claims she's too tired to keep walking around but I know that's not true. She was just doing cartwheels a second ago, she just doesn't want to walk anymore.

"We're going to the opening ceremonies" I explain.

"What's that" she wonders.

"It's the start of the Olympics" I tell her.

"Aren't we already here" she questions.

"Yes. But the opening ceremony is a big deal. All the athletes are in the same arena and we all get to walk in together with our counties" I explain.

"So you'll be with sissy" she asks and I sigh.

"No, I'm afraid not" I reply.

"Where are you going to be" she asks her sister.

"I'm going to be with team USA and Jonny will be there with team Canada" she explains.

"And where do I go" Kimberly wonders.

"You kiddo" I say dropping her to the ground. "You're going to go with my parents" I say and she smiles.

"Yay" she cheers as she jumps up and down at my dads feet. He puts her on his back and we say our goodbyes. I give Alexis a kiss before finding my team and waiting for the walk in.

I see a group of the hockey players and decide to join them. Luckily for me I had Sharpy and Crow and Duncs with me so I wasn't so left out. Plus a lot of these guys were on the Olympic team in 2010 so there was a bit of familiarity.

"So that is your girl" Sidney Crosby asks me as Alexis sits a few teams away smiling and talking to Patrick and some of the other athletes. She had no circle, the world was at her feet and whenever she talked everyone listened.

"Yeah, that's my girl" I smile real big.

"She's something else" he admits and I nod.

"You don't even know the half of it. It seems like her whole life has been leading up to this moment and she's still going to blow everyone's mind. Not even I know what she's going to do out there. I can't wait to see it" I insist.

"Sounds like you got your hands full" he smirks.

"That would be more for her little sister. She's got me wrapped around her little finger" I shamefully admit.

"I don't think I'm ready for you to settle down because I'm older than you and that makes me feel like I need to do something with my life" he claims as I chuckle at him.

"You're Sidney Crosby, I'm not so sure you can do any wrong" I assure him.

"Well you're obviously doing something very right" he insists as I turn back around. I see her smiling at me and I smile back, I couldn't stop it even if I wanted to.

"I think I am too."

The ceremony gets under way and Canada is one of the first teams. So we walk around and wave as we find our spots to watch the show they put on. Being in Russia we weren't too popular but we had a pretty good crowd. Eventually the USA athletes come out in full force wearing their red white and blue. And much to surprise the one carrying the flag was my girlfriend. That's about the highest honor a athlete can ever ask for. Besides lighting the torch carrying the flag was the biggest treat a athlete could ask for.

But with her story and what she is destined to do at these olympics, it made a lot of sense that she was the one who carried the flag. Her country loves her and has every right to do the honor. She's going to make them all proud, I just know it.

Eventually the ceremony comes to a end and after a inspirational show put on by the people of Sochi, we were let go. Unfortunately for me I wasn't allowed to stay with my better half for housing was strict and I had to stay with my team and her with hers. But I could still meet up with her and enjoy some ice cream before curfew. She started tomorrow with prelims and I had a few days before my prelims so we wouldn't have that much time left to be together. But I was going to cherish every second we had together.

So I grab my family and Alexis and her sister and we try to sneak some ice cream into our diet. Kimberly sat in my lap as she eats some of her ice cream. She gets quite a bit of it on her face and I wipe it off for her.

"Am I allowed to cheer for both of you guys" she asks me and I smile.

"I hope you do" I admit.

"Isn't that wrong" she asks and I laugh.

"Who told you that" I question.

"Patrick" she explains and I roll my eyes. Of course it was Patrick.

"It's not wrong to cheer for people on different teams. In fact I think it's pretty cool to be able to be so unique and open to things" I insist.

"Ohhh. Well then I'm going to cheer for everybody" she claims and I smile.

"That's a good plan" I assure her.

Eventually we had to say our goodbyes and I find myself being quite sad. Even though she was just a few hotels away I would much rather have her here with me. But I have a roommate and Pete didn't want anyone around her, so I had to respect that and let her go.

"I'm gonna miss you" I whisper so the guys in the room won't hear.

"I'm gonna miss you too" she whispers back. I press her forehead to mine as I close my eyes, trying to remember what it felt like to have her skin against mine.

"I'll see you tomorrow morning, I promise" I insist.

"Not a second later" she begs.

"I'll be there."