Epilogue

Alexis

"Babe! Where's the sun screen" Jonny yells out from the bedroom of our honeymoon resort in Cabo.

We got married June 24th 2015 and a day after that we arrived here in Cabo. And after Jon won his third Stanley cup and I had been done with worlds and nationals we knew that it was time for us to get married and move into a new home. So this past month we moved and got married in Chicago and was able to get away for a while. I think we very much deserved it.

Life is still pretty crazy. I sponsor Gatorade and Nike as does Jonny and we have been living the good life. Kimberly's new medication keeps her trucking along and I haven't heard a thing from my parents. While so much has changed since Jon and I started dating, I still feel like a love sick teenager like I did those first few days. I know that our life is going to be hard, I'm not going to win every comp and some seasons Jon won't be seen as one of the greatest hockey players ever. But in the dark moments we have each other as a source of light.

"It's in my carry on" I yell back as I finish changing into my bathing suit. I look down at my stomach and smile a little. I place my hand on it as I look in the mirror.

"Are you ready" Jon asks as he peaks his head in the bathroom. He looks at my hand before he looks back at me. "What are you doing" he questions.

"I'm holding our baby. Well... the best I can right now at least" I explain.

The room falls silent as his eyes start to grow. He smiles big as he looks at me with growing intensity, his deep brown eyes get deeper as his breathing picks up.

"You're pregnant" he asks and I nod.

"I'm 3 months along. I found out the day before we got married but I didn't want to take anything from the wedding or change anything. But it's true... we're having a baby" I explain.

He runs over from the other side of the bed before picking my up. He squeezes me tight as he twirls is around.

"Ohhh my god! I'm gonna cry" he claims and I smile big.

"Don't cry" I beg. "We're on our honeymoon, I don't want you to cry" I insist.

"I'm sorry, I'm so happy" he sniffles as he sets me down. I look into his eyes and see the tears sitting there. I catch one before it falls as he grabs my waist.

"When it is due" he asks with the biggest smile on his face.

"December, a little before Christmas" I say and he lets out a long sigh.

"This is... amazing. It's incredible. It's one of the best days of my life" he insists.

"If we can get to the beach it really will be" I insist.

"Alright. Let's grab our things and we can go" he promises.

So we grab our beach bags and head to the beach. We find a nice spot to set up shop and sit on the beach. I sit in his arms as he softly kisses my shoulder.

"Who all knows about you being pregnant" he wonders and I laugh.

"Just you and the doctors. I didn't trust anyone else to keep their mouths shut" I admit and he laughs.

"You're not wrong" he agrees.

"Do you want a girl or a boy" I wonder.

"Both" he insists making me laugh.

"I didn't know you wanted a kid so much" he admits.

"I want it all with you. Individually we've both been able to do what we wanted. Since I've met you I've won two cups and a Olympic gold medal and you've won every competition you've competed in. As athletes we've done it all.

Now I can focus on being a husband and being a father. And I know it's not going to be easy, I know I'm probably going to lose my mind. But I can't wait to look up in the stands and see you in a Mrs. Toews jersey and our little baby in a jersey too. Nothing in my life would make me happier than that" he claims.

"I just don't too much to change, you know? I don't want these labels to help us forget who we are, where we came from" I explain.

"You're forever going to be my girl, nothing can change that. Whenever someone asks me what makes me happiest, it's my girl. Whenever someone asks me what I hold closest to my heart, it's my girl. Whenever someone asks me how I can do what I do, why I do what I do, it's always going to be my girl" he says. I smile big as I look from the ocean and into his eyes. I always could tel when he was bullshitting me. He doesn't do it often but he will say anything to make me happy.

But this was true and it was adorable. I knew he would never let me go, every second he's around he's got his arm around me to assure me that he'll always be by my side.

"You saved me, you know that right" I ask.

"I'm not a super hero" he defends.

"No, you're not. But your love is a super power and your intelligence helps you be the best you can be. That's the closest any of us will be to being a super hero" I insist.

"That is probably the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me" he teases.

"Wow... I thought my vows were pretty great" I insist.

"They were, you are" he promises.

"Well thank you baby" I smile.

"Anything, for my girl" he replies.