Chapter 10: Alone In The Woods

It was 8:00. Lauren walked to Hagrid's hut. She knocked at the door.

"Ms. Carrington 'ello, cumin cumin." Hagrid said.

"Hello Professor Hagrid." Lauren said, walking in.

"Ron isn't 'ere yet, but he'll 'rive shortly."

He signaled for Lauren to take a seat. She had brought a jacket knowing good and well they would be going outside.

"Are ya 'eeling better?"  He asked, handing her some tea in a little cup.

"Yes, my back still aches a little but I'm doing much better."

"It was a brave ting ya did." Hagrid said. "Especially 'ince yar a Slytherin."

"Since I'm a Slytherin, I'm expected to hate Gryffindors right?" Lauren asked.

Hagrid lips curled into a smile.

"Just cause your 'upposed to do something, don't mean ya have to. Ya like Ron don't ya?" He asked.

Lauren had a look of shock on her face, completely blushing.

"As a friend." Hagrid added when he noticed her face.
"Ya being Slytherin shouldn't stop that. Um sure that Ron wants ter be yar friend too."

"I hope so." Lauren said quietly.

Then there was a knock on the door. Hagrid got up and answered it. It was Ron. Lauren noticed he wasn't wearing a jacket. She thought it was pretty stupid of him not to, giving that it was late November and night.

"Cumin Ron." Hagrid said smiling. "Tea?" He asked holding the pot.

"No thanks." He didn't smile. He had a serious look on him.

He was upset with me and I could tell. Not once did he smile or even look in my direction. But why was he mad. I hadn't even been talking to him for him to be mad at me. I rolled my eyes at the thought. He was being overly sensitive as usual.

"Well ten. I guess 'ere ready to go." Hagrid smiled. He had a nice smile. The little bit of it that you could see at least. He had some much hair everywhere you could barely see it, but it was there.

He walked out and I followed, Ron following me out. It was complete silence, other than the couple times Hagrid started a conversation with me. It was clear Hagrid could also tell Ron was in a mood.

"Don't worry. He'll come 'round." Hagrid leaned down to attempt to whisper. It wasn't really a whisper but with Ron being so behind I'm sure he couldn't hear. We waited a little for him to catch up.

"Don't get too 'ar behind. Ya don't know what's in yer forest." Just as Hagrid said that, we heard a twig snap near us.

"What was that?" Ron asked on his toes.

"Shhhhh." Hagrid hushed him looking around us. Hagrid pulled me slightly behind him, in case anything was out there.

Ron and I pulled out our wands ready for anything.

Then we heard a growl. I felt my heart racing, whatever it was wasn't far from us.

"Let's keep walking. Um sure it's nothing." Hagrid said. I couldn't believe it. We could be at risk and he didn't seem to care. "Try not 'tay behind Ron."

We walked a little longer.

"Don't you think we should head back. That creature didn't sound harmless-..."

We heard another growl a little bit farther up from us.

Hagrid looked in that direction and listened.