Adoption Day

Hi, my name is Elizabeth, but you can call me Ellie. I'm 15 years old and have long, blonde hair and brown eyes. Currently, I live in an orphanage. It's actually not as bad as most people would think. Because I'm the oldest, I tend to get a little more freedom than the other girls.

I woke up around 7:00 today and took a shower. That is the only downside of this place; if you want your shower to last longer than three minutes without hearing banging on the door, you have to get up early. Yes, even on the weekends. After a while I got used to it, though.

Anyway, I pick out my clothes for the day: a light pink adidas crop top and high waisted, black skinny jeans. Since it was Saturday, that meant it was adoption day, so we were supposed to dress nicely. Or at least that's what Mrs. Smith wants us to do. I don't know if my outfit is actually considered nice, but I like it, so I wear it.

I walk out of the bathroom around 7:30 and start applying some makeup in my room. Nothing fancy, just concealer, eye liner, and mascara. Oh, and my eyebrows of course. Soon after my makeup is applied, I walk downstairs and start making breakfast.

It was often my job to make breakfast here, probably because I was the oldest. I guess my age makes me responsible. The younger ones would probably make a mess and burn the food, so I guess it's good that breakfast is my job. I make about 50 pancakes for the 20 of us and Mrs. Smith, obviously.

I had to admit, it smelled pretty good in here, and I guess the others thought so too considering they all came down and sat at the table. I get Anna, an 8 year old girl to set the table for me while I finish up the meal.

Little hands grab the pancakes before I could even place the plate on the table. I laugh at their eagerness. "You guys, I swear there will still be food once it's on the table," I joke. They respond with giggles and smiles. I think most of them liked me, which I was always happy about.

Mrs. Smith came down a couple minutes after we began eating to make the usual announcements about adoption day. I really liked Mrs. Smith; she was like a mother to me.

"Okay, ladies, listen up!" Mrs. Smith exclaims while trying to overpower all the little kids loud voices. Soon, everyone is quiet and paying attention. The only sound being the scraping of knives and forks on the plates from cutting the pancakes.

"I want you guys all to be on your very best behavior today" Mrs. Smith emphasizes the 'very.' "We have a special visitor today looking to adopt and we don't want to scare them away, correct?" She questions. A series of 'mhms' and nods go around the room as Mrs. Smith continues.

"Alrighty then, make sure you dress appropriately and I'll see you guys back down here is about 45 minutes," she ended her speech. "Oh, and Ellie, come see me for a minute when you get the chance."

'I wonder what that could be about' I think to myself, but I reply with, "Okay, Mrs. Smith." I clear my dish and order a handful of the older girls to help clear the table and wash the dishes since I'll be with Mrs. Smith.

I walk into Mrs. Smith's office and sit in a chair in front of her desk. "Hi, Mrs. Smith, you wanted to see me?" I say to her. I couldn't help but feel a little nervous. She's never wanted to talk to me privately before.

"Yes, I did. I just wanted you to know who the visitor was going to be since I believe you may know him," Mrs. Smith tells me with a smile on her face.

"Oh really? who is it?" I ask, smiling back. Mrs. Smith had one of those contagious smiles that made everyone around her happy. That was part of the reason I felt so close with her.

"Well, this person called me and told me that he was looking for an older girl, someone who could stand being alone for a little bit," Mrs. Smith says. "I think you definitely have a chance, Ellie."

"You're killing me, Mrs. Smith," I joke. "Who is it?" I ask again.

"Okay, Okay, I'll tell you," she says. "It's Harry Styles. Do you know him?"

"Oh! I've heard of him before. I don't know any of his music really," I admit. "But that's awesome! I hope he chooses a nice girl," I say.

"I'm glad you're familiar with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he chooses you though, Ellie. You seem to fit his description," she informs me.

"Oh, I don't know about that," I say, doubting anyone would adopt me. After all, I am 15. "Thanks for talking with me though!" I hug Mrs. Smith before exiting her office and going up to my room.

I have about 20 minutes before I had to be downstairs for adoption, so I decide to go on Instagram and see what this 'Harry Styles' was all about.

For only a few minutes of searching, I believe I acquired a lot of information. He seemed like a cool guy, and his music was good as well. If only he would think about adopting me.

I exit out of Instagram and put on my black vans before walking downstairs to the meeting room with my phone and earbuds in my pocket. When I arrived all the girls were either watching the television, coloring, or playing hand games with each other. It was really cute, I had to say.

I plop down on the sofa in front of the TV next to an eight year old girl, Amy. "Hi, Ellie," Amy said and smiled up at me.

"Hi, Amy, how are you?" I asked her, returning the smile.

"Good. What did Mrs. Smith want to talk to you about? Are you in trouble? I won't tell if you're in trouble. Will you tell me?" She questions.

I laugh at her interrogation. "I'm not in trouble, Amy," I say. "Mrs. Smith was just checking up on me, okay?"

"Oh, ok. I'm glad you're not in trouble. I wa..." Amy's sentence got cut off by Mrs. Smith's voice.

"Ladies! I need you to line up, youngest to oldest. Our guests are here!"

Being the oldest, I was at the end of the line. Harry and the other adopters would probably pick someone from the front of the line, like people usually do.

I sit down on the stool and plug my earphones in, Twenty One Pilots blaring through me ears. I always felt sad on the actual adoption part of adoption day.

I here Mrs. Smith open the door and greet someone, probably Harry since I hear squeals from the girls. I'd look up to make sure, but I don't want anyone to see the tears forming in my eyes, especially Harry.