Dinner Time

(Song: The Scientist by Coldplay. I  may have already done this song. If so, sorry!)

The kiss ends and I move off his lap and sit next to him. "You're a great kisser," I say, a small smile plastered across my face.

"Right back at you," Kyle says. "Wanna sing?" He asks turning toward me with a grin.

"I thought you'd never ask!" I laugh.

He gets up and grabs the same two guitars from last time and hands me one. "Of course I'd ask," he says. "Which song are you doing?"

"I'm thinking of doing The Scientist by Coldplay," I say.

"Nice choice. I love that song," he tells me. "Can I hear?"

I nod my head and turn my head down to face the guitar. Once I find the first chord, I look up at start singing.

Kyle supports my voice by singing backups every once and a while. He sounds amazing; it is my first time hearing him sing. I smile at him as he joins me. We look in each other's eyes and finish the song.

"That was beautiful," Kyle says, not breaking eye contact.

"Yeah, it was. You have an amazing voice," I say.

"Only amazing when it's accompanied by you," he says, giving me a smirk.

"Well, you got me there," I joke. "Is there any part I should work on to get it better? I really want to be in the musical."

"Honestly, I cant think of anything I'd change. You're going to do great, I promise. And it's just going to be me and two other teachers," he says with me a smile.

"Okay. That's good. I'm just nervous, I guess," I admit.

"Don't be. I'm going to be right there in the room, you got it?" He asks. I nod my head. "Now come here," he says opening his arms for me. I gladly hop into his arms and he wraps them around me, swaying side to side. "You're going to be perfect," he says, his warm breath caressing my ear.

"Thanks," I say, gently falling back into his chest. "What time is it?" I ask curiously.

"5:45. Do you need to be home by a certain time?" He ask.

I nod. "Yeah, Harry's picking me up at 6," I say with a sigh. "I don't want to leave you, though." I pout my lip and look up at him.

"And I don't want you to go," he says. "But I need to get on your dad's good side before we cause any more trouble."

"I guess you're right," I say, defeated. "I promise Harry doesn't hate you, he is just overprotective," I tell him with a laugh.

"Well, that's good. I was worried I did something wrong," he says.

"Nope," I tell him, popping the 'p.' "He thinks seniors are crazy for some reason. It's stupid, if you ask me."

"I can see where he's coming from. Some seniors are crazy for sex and things like that, but not me. The only thing I'm crazy for is spending time with you," he says while placing a small kiss on my forehead. I feel my cheeks heat up and smile slightly at Kyle's cuteness. "Come on. Let's go wait outside," he says.

"Fine," I say, dragging out the 'e.'

We get up and walk outside. The air is warm, but there is a cool breeze as well. We sit down on the wooden chairs on Kyle's front porch. Harry pulls up soon after. "Bye, Kyle. Thanks for having me over. I'll see you tomorrow," I say while giving him a small hug.

"You're welcome. And yes, I'll see you tomorrow," he says.

I smile and walk away toward Harry's car. "Hi, Dad," I say as I get in the car and close the door.

"Hi, love," he says. "How was practice?"

"Oh, it was really good. He gave me a lot of helpful advice," I say, even though we spent most of the time doing anything but practice for my audition.

"That's great. You'll have to sing it for me tonight, yeah?" He asks.

"Okie doke," I say. He smiles and continues driving.

"How's soup for dinner?" He eventually asks. Ugh, food. I knew this would come up sooner or later, though.

"Yeah, that's good," I say.

We continue talking until we pull up to our house. Both of us get out and walk to the door. "Dinner will be like 10 minutes. I just have to put it on the stove and heat it up," he says.

"Okay. I'll play you my audition song while you do that," I say. I really hope Harry likes it. I mean, he did say that I had a nice voice, but he might have been lying because I was upset. I guess I'll find out.

Harry gives me a thumbs up before taking his key from his jean pocket and unlocking the door. We both head into the house; me going to the basement to grab a guitar and Harry going to the kitchen to start dinner.

I grab one of the acoustics and head upstairs. Harry has already begun making dinner. "Play me some tunes," he says. "I'm listening."

I nod and pull the chair out from under the table before sitting down and resting the guitar comfortably on my lap.

I begin playing the guitar and singing along just like I did at Kyle's house. Harry stops making dinner and sits down next to me while I finish the song.

"That was absolutely fantastic, love. You really are a talented singer. Way better than most people on the radio," Harry says resting a hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you, Dad," I say.

"Of course. I mean it, too," he says while getting back up and going to the stove. "Can you get us some water? I'll dish out the soup."

I nod my head and grab two glasses, filling them up with water from the fridge and placing them on the table. Harry comes over a few seconds later with two bowls of hot soup. I can see the steam rising from the bowls. He places one in front of me and sits down.

"So, El," Harry starts. I look over at him, wondering what he's going to say.

"I noticed that you didn't eat your lunch," he says.

Shit.

I probably should have thrown that away, but I guess I forgot because I was too angry and afraid. How am I going to explain this?