Something Wrong with Evan

Harry began to email my Spanish teacher while I remained next to him. "Okay, all done. He should probably respond before tomorrow morning, but if he doesn't, you still just come right home school, sound good?" He tells me. I nod my head.

"Why don't you go start your homework, love. I've got to finish up something for work," Harry says.

"Okay," I agree. "I'll be in my room if you need me." Harry helps me up off the couch and I head upstairs after grabbing my backpack.

When I arrive in my room I sit at my desk with my phone and take out my English and algebra homework. My English work was very easy. It was one of the only subjects I actually enjoyed and was pretty good at. I really enjoyed writing, and I like how there are no rules for it as well. I could write anything and no one could tell me I was wrong. I finished my English homework in about 45 minutes.

Algebra, on the other hand, was not one of my strong suits. If there's one thing I know, it's that you will never see me working with numbers when I'm older. I spend at least ten minutes on my first problem, but it was no use; I was lost. I groan in frustration and toss my pencil onto my desk.

Rather than starting my homework again, I grab my diary from under my bed and begin to write. I write all about Kimmy and her friends during Spanish today. I wasn't planning on making it a long journal entry, but it ended up taking three pages. Not going to lie, I was proud of myself. I pick up my phone to check my messages and see a few texts from Evan.
'Hey, Ellie?'
'Are you there?'
'I need to talk to someone. If you don't want to just let me know. I don't want to be annoying or anything."

Those were sent only five minutes ago. I respond, a little concerned. Evan was usually goofy and outgoing; I could tell something was wrong.
'Hey. What's up? Everything okay?'

He texts back almost immediately.
'Can we meet at the park. I want to talk in person. Sorry if it's inconvenient. We don't have to if you don't want to.'

I go downstairs and find Harry still doing his work. "Hey, Dad, can I go to the park and hang out with Evan?" I ask.

He looks up from his computer. "Sure, darling. Just be back by 6:30 for dinner," he says. I look at the time on my phone; 5:30. That's good; I have an hour and a half to burn.

"Okay. Thanks, Dad. See ya later," I say and walk out the door.

I text Evan.
'Yeah. That's fine. And don't worry about it! I should get outside more often anyway.'

Evan texted back telling me he'd be there soon.

I manage to find my way to the park and sit down on one of the benches. I scroll through random social media as I wait for Evan, and soon enough I hear him walk over.

"Hey, Evan," I say with a small smile. He had definitely been crying. "What's wrong?" I say as he sits down.

"I'm just going to say it," he says. "Please don't laugh or make fun of me."

"Evan, I would never. You can tell me anything. That's what friends are for," I say. I was growing more and more concerned about what he was going to say.

"Okay," he starts, rather quietly. "I think I'm gay."

"Evan, that's perfectly fine! It's nothing to feel bad about," I tell him, comfortingly.

"I-I just don't know how to tell Niall. I'm scared he's going to hate me," he admits.

"Hey, Niall is a great guy. You know he wouldn't do that. He loves you," I say. It was true, I know Niall wouldn't be rude. He is one of the most accepting people I know.

"I know he supports the lgbt and all, but I'm scared he doesn't want his own son to be gay," he says, wiping a tear from his eye.

"Evan, just because you're gay doesn't make you any different. I know you may think so, but it's not true. You're the same Evan Niall knows from when he first meet you," I say. "Nothing you say or do can change that."

"Wow... thank you, Ellie," he says. "I've never thought of it that way."

"You're welcome, Evan. I'm always here to talk if you need to," I tell him. I had to admit, it felt really good knowing Evan would come to me for something as serious as this.

He smiles. "I'm always here for you too."

I smile back. "Wanna do something. I've still got like 45 minutes till I have to be home," I say checking the clock and seeing that it was only 5:45.

"Yeah. I should probably be back at the same time as you," he say. "Do you want to go grab a tea at the coffee shop?" He asks.

"Yeah! Sounds good. I didn't even know they had a coffee shop here. You'll have to show me," I say. I really didn't know where much was around here. I guess nows a good time to learn.

Evan and I begin walking to the coffee shop. "It's only like five minutes away from here," he informs.

"Oh, nice. Everything's so close around here. I like it," I say. Evan nods in agreement.

"So, where did Harry find you? If you're comfortable telling me," Evan asks after a peaceful moment of silence. 

"Oh, he just went to the orphanage I was staying at. He chose me because he wanted an older girl who could be responsible alone. I was the oldest there so he chose me," I say. We arrive and the coffee shop soon after I finish my sentence. Both of us order an iced tea and sit down outside. The air was warm, but there was an occasional breeze every once in a while.

"You know, I'm sure Harry got you not just because you were the oldest of them all. You're actually one of the coolest people out there," Evan tells me.

"Aw, thank you," I say. That was really nice of him. We continue drinking our teas and begin to joke around about our teachers and other student. I tell him more about the Kimmy thing that happened, and he tells me about this guy, Jason, in his math class who he liked.

We start to walk back, continuing our conversation. "You could ask Jason out to homecoming," I say with a wink.

He laughs. "I don't even know if he's gay!" He tells me.

"Oh, come on. From what you told me, he has definitely been flirting with you," I tell him with a laugh.

"Whatever you say, Ellie," he says and rolls his eyes at me. I chuckle.

We finally arrive at our houses; Evan's being diagonal from mine. "Hey. Thanks again. You're a great friend," Evan says and hugs me.

"You're welcome again," I say, hugging him back. "I'll see you tomorrow." He nods and we both walk to our houses.