School Day Before the Audition

(Song: In My Blood by Shawn Mendes)
The next morning, I wake up to my alarm on my phone. For once, I actually got up without dreading the day ahead of me. I mean, I did have to deal with Kimmy today, but my audition is also today and I couldn't be more excited.

I dress in a grey shirt with an alien in the corner and ripped, black skinny jeans. I slip on some white adidas shoes and apply light makeup before heading downstairs.

"Hey there, love

"Hey there, love. I was just about to go make sure you were up. What can I get you for breakfast?" Harry asks when he notices me.

"Umm... I'll have a bagel please," I say while wiping the sleep from my eyes.

"One bagel coming right up," he says grabbing a cinnamon raisin bagel from the bag and putting it in the toaster.

I get a glass of water from the fridge before sitting down. "I'm staying after for my audition. Can Kyle drive me home?" I ask, hoping he'll say yes.

He takes a minute to reply, but then agrees. "Okay. Just give me a call if there's a change of plans," he says.

I smile a little, satisfied with his answer. "Thanks. And I will," I say. I see his take the peanut butter from the cabinet and start spreading it on my breakfast. I know he's just trying to add more calories to my meals.

He places the bagel in front of me and sits down with his usual cup of coffee. I begin eating right away, knowing I'd have to eventually and my friends will be here any minute. I take out my phone and scroll through my instagram feed, ignoring anything Kimmy posts. After a couple of minutes, I finish the first half of my bagel, and I decide not to eat the other half.

"Love, you still have more breakfast to eat," Harry says, eying the uneaten bagel half still on my plate.

"I'm full, Dad. Please," I say, desperately hoping he won't make me eat anything else. To be honest, I'm still full from last night.

"Not today. I want you to eat at least half of that," he says seriously. "I want you to have a good relationship with food. You're too young, too beautiful, to be doing this to yourself."

I sigh and put down my phone, staring down at the food. All I see is calories, though. "I don't like peanut butter," I say blandly while resting my head on my hand.

"You just ate it," Harry says. "Come one, Love. You can do it."

I don't move and Harry sighs. "This is why I can't trust you to eat your lunch at school, El. I'm going to have to call your school and get someone to keep an eye on you at lunch," he says. He is speaking in a calm voice, but I can tell he's annoyed with me.

"Fine, I'll eat," I sigh. I pick up my bagel taking a small bite of it. I eat about a quarter of it before the door bell rings. "Okay, I have to go," I say, quickly standing up to get away from the food. Harry looks down at my plate with a disapproving look on his face.

"Have a good day," he says, getting up and hugging me. "And eat your lunch."

"Kay," I say and walk out the door with my backpack and phone. My friends and I walk to school and talk about anything that comes to mind. Once we arrive, we split apart to go to our lockers.

"Hey, Kyle," I say, walking up to him and giving him a hug. "Thanks again for what you commented last night."

Kyle wraps his arms around me and gives me a tight squeeze. "Anything for you. Kimmy has no right to do that shit to you," he says. I smile up at him and he kisses my forehead.

We both pull apart from each other and I grab the things I need for math class. When we arrive at class we sit in the back of the class, as usual.

"How are you feeling about the audition today? I'm sorry I got a little distracted yesterday and we didn't practice much," Kyle says while looking me in the eyes.

I blush, remembering the events that took place yesterday after school. "I think I'm ready, just a little nervous," I say.

"I know it can be scary, but you're going to do great. Just imagine everyone in their underwear," he advises.

"I think you in your underwear would just make me more nervous," I say with a smirk.

He laughs and shakes his head. "Obviously, what was I thinking?" He says with a scoff.
•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•
When I arrive in Spanish class, I sit in my seat, right next to Kimmy. Ugh.

"Hey, slut. You ready for tryouts? Don't be too disappointed when you don't get the lead," she says with a pout.

"Kimmy, please leave me alone. I'm not trying out for the lead anyway," I say with a sigh. I'm surprised I actually said that. This is one of the only times I have stood up for myself in front of Kimmy.

"Whatever," She says while rolling her eyes. "You're not going to get it anyway." She places her Vera Bradley binders on her desk and sits down; a waft of strong perfume washes over me. I mentally gag and zone out for the rest of class.
•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•
English was pretty uneventful. All we did was packets and talk. When the bell rings Rachel, Ryan, and I walk out of the class.

"Thank god that class is over. It felt like an eternity," I say.

"Wow, nice hyperbole," Ryan laughs, referencing what we spent most of class on.

"Ryan, you better shut up right now," I say with a laugh. He puts his hands up in defense and we walk to lunch.

I open up my lunch to see what Harry packed for me. I find a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, some grapes, and a granola bar. I wonder if he actually did call the school to get someone to watch me. I mean, that's kind of excessive, don't you think? I look around but don't see any teacher looking at me.

I eat my grapes anyway, hoping if someone is looking that they will see I'm eating something and assume I'll eat the rest. At the end of lunch, I throw everything I didn't eat into the paper bag and throw it out. Thankfully, my friends didn't notice me not eating anything.

"Ellie, you excited for auditions?" Ryan asks.

"Yeah. I hope I get a part. Kimmy seems to think I'm going to steal the lead role even though I'm not auditioning for it," I say with a chuckle.

"That girl is something else," Rachel says. "She has to learn to mind her own beeswax." She snaps her fingers and raises an eyebrow sassily. And Harry thinks I'm sassy.
•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•
In art class the teacher gives us a new project of drawing someone who helped you or who inspired you. I choose to do Harry because he saved me from the orphanage and gave me an amazing life. I only get about halfway done the project, but we have all of next class to work on it as well.

When the bell rings, I say goodbye to all my friends and they wish me luck. I walk to my locker and pack up my backpack while I wait for Kyle to meet me.