The Song

(Song: Sweet Creature by Harry Styles)
ELLIE'S POV
I watch as Harry grabs an acoustic guitar from the wall and sit down on the piano bench. He motions with his eyes for me to sit next to him, so I do.

Is he going to teach me how to play guitar?

"So, you know how yesterday my mom was asking about new music from me?" Harry asks while tuning his guitar a little. It seems as if he's just tuning out of nervousness, not because it actually needs to be tuned.

I nod my head. Why is he so nervous? I don't like when Harry is anxious.

"Well, my album is complete, and I wanted to show this song to you before the album is released... because I wrote it for you," he says, adding the last part on quietly.

My eyes go wide. I can't believe he wrote me a song. That's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. "Dad... you wrote me a song?" I ask, bewildered.

"Of course I did. You're the most important person in my life," he says.

"I want to hear it," I say, happily.

He chuckles and nods his head. "Good. Because that's why I brought you here," he says.

He moves his leg over top of the piano bench and rests his guitar on his lap so he's facing me.

"You ready?" He asks taking a deep breath. Though, I think he was more asking himself since he still seems a little nervous. I nod my head anyway.

He nods and looks down at his guitar, placing his fingers on the correct frets and then looking back at me

He nods and looks down at his guitar, placing his fingers on the correct frets and then looking back at me. He begins fingerpicking the intro to his new song. It sounds beautiful. It's relaxing, but upbeat. Something I just can't explain.

"Sweet creature," he starts singing the verse. "Had another talk about where it's going wrong."

He continues playing, looking up at me every once in a while. "When I run out of road, you bring me home. You'll bring me home," he finishes.

Harry sets the guitar down so it's leaning against his knee. His mouth opens and he begins to speak, but I cut him off before he can even say anything. "Dad, that was beautiful," I say, jumping into his lap and giving him a hug.

He hugs me back tightly and I hear him let out a breath. "I'm glad you liked it, love. "I wanted to make sure it's perfect for you," he whispers into my ear.

"It was," I reassure him. I stay in Harry's arms as he continues to hug me, rocking me back and forth gently.

Tears threaten to spill from my eyes as I realize how lucky I am to have a parent as amazing as Harry. A single tear falls and I wipe it with my hand.

"You made me cry," I chuckle.

Harry pulls back so we are looking at each other again. A small smile dances on his lips. "Im sorry, that most definitely wasn't the intention," he says.

"I guess I forgive you," I say. "How long have you been working on that song?"

He lifts his hand to his chin and thinks. "I started only a couple days after I adopted you. I knew you were going to fit in just perfectly here, and that you were going to keep me sane," he says. "There was no better way for me to explain how important you are to me other than a song," he adds.

I don't even know what to say to that response. He's been working on this for almost as long as he has known me, I can't believe it. "Dad... Dad, I don't know what to say, other than thank you," I say, a few more tears sliding down my face.

"Aw, baby, don't cry, don't cry," Harry says, using the pad of his thumb to wipe the tears on my face. "You don't need to say anything, you don't need to do anything more than be yourself. That's all I could ever ask for."

I nod my head. Harry has done so much for me, I definitely need to make it up to him one day. "Will you teach me the song?" I ask, hesitantly. I hope he won't mind. It's obviously really personal to him, maybe I shouldn't have asked.

"Of course I can!" Harry says. "Why don't you go pick out a guitar from the wall," he says. I nod my head and stand up. I end up choosing the sea foam green guitar from the corner before walking back to Harry.

"How'd I know you were going to choose that one?" He asks with a laugh

I shrug my shoulders and giggle. The other guitars were all natural colors or black, so I guess my choice was pretty obvious.

I sit back down on the piano bench and face Harry. "Teach me your ways," I say.

"Okay, well, we should start with the intro," he says. He takes my hand and places it on the third feet of the sixth string. "Now, you're going to alternate between these three strings," he says, pointing to three strings he was referring to.

He slowly shows me the order using his own guitar to demonstrate before letting me try. "Show me what you got," he says.

I nod my head and place my first finger back on the guitar. Slowly, I play the first bar of the song. I repeat it a few times to make sure I completely understand.

I look up at Harry with an unsure look on my face. "You're doing great," he says.

"Not as good as you," I say back. Sometimes I get annoyed with myself, even when I shouldn't. I know it's dumb to be insulting myself when this is literally the first minute of me practicing the song, but I can't help it.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, love. This is your first time playing it. And, I'm not going to lie, you're playing a lot better than I had when I was first practicing," Harry says.

"I know I shouldn't do that, it's hard not to, I guess," I confess to him. It's my low self esteem's fault not mine.

"It is difficult to stop thinking certain ways. Especially if you've been thinking that way your whole life. It's nothing we can't work on together, though, got it?" Harry tells me.

"Got it," I say.

Harry gives me a thumbs up. "I'll show you the next part of the song," he says.

I nod my head and he continues teaching me the rest of his song.