Kyle's Place to 'Practice'

(Song: Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls)
I walk into my house after my friends drop me off. I didn't talk much on the walk home.

"Hey, love! How was school?" Harry asks. He is sitting in the kitchen with his phone. He probably just got off a call for work.

"Good," I say. "I'm going to go work on my audition for the musical," I say. I don't want to be around anyone right now. I've never felt more alone, even though I know I have so many people who care about me.

Harry scrunches his eyebrows together in confusion. "Wait, come here," he says. I sigh, but obey his instructions.

"What's wrong?" He asks turning so he is facing me. Ugh, why am I so transparent. I might as well be wearing a sign that says 'emotional wreck.'

"Nothing," I say with a smile, trying my best to convince him I am fine.

"Sit down," he demands. I sit down, tossing my backpack to the side and look straight forward so I don't have to make eye contact. "Look at me and tell me what's bothering you. You know you can trust me; I'm your dad," he says softly.

"I just got in an argument with a friend," I lie.

"Who was it?" He asks, tilting his head to the side slightly.

"Claire," I lie.

"I'm sorry, love. What was it about?" He asks, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"We just disagreed about something. It's kind of personal," I say. "It's nothing big. I just need to cool off."

Harry sighs. "You'll come to me if it gets any worse?" He asks. I'm surprised he actually believed me.

"Promise. It will probably be over tomorrow though. It's just a dumb friend fight," I tell him.

"Okay, love. I want you to know that I also called the cops today about Saturday night. They want us to contact them if we learn anything about the man, got it?" he says.

I nod my head in response. He smiles at me. "Okay, all done. You can go do your teenager stuff now," he says.

I nod and give him a light chuckle. "I'll be in the recording studio," I inform him before wandering downstairs into the basement and into the studio.

I grab the acoustic guitar from the wall and sit down on one of the stools. I begin to strum the chords to 'The Scientist.'

"Come up to meet you," I sing when it gets to the first verse. My hand gently strum the guitar as I continue to sing, putting all the pain From today into the music I am creating.

I finish the song and put the guitar down with a sigh. I miss my mother. I just want to hug her one last time. If I knew she would've died that day in the car, I never would have let her get in.

My phone interrupts my thoughts of my mother with a ding. I grab it from out of my pocket and turn it on. It's a phone call from Kyle. I answer quickly.

"Hi, Kyle," I say, standing up and hanging the guitar back on the wall.

"Hey, darling. How's Harry treating you?" He asks.

"Oh, he's good. I was probably overreacting a little today. I'm sorry," I tell him.

"No you weren't. I would act the same way if my dad was mad at me," he says. "Anyway, I was wondering if you wanted to come over. If Harry's okay with it and all. We can work on your audition."

"Yeah, I d love to. I just have to convince Harry to let me go," I say with a chuckle.

"Sounds good. Let him know that I can drive you if he's busy," Kyle says.

"I think he's going to want to drive me myself because he's really overprotective unfortunately," I say, already knowing Harry isn't going to trust Kyle to drive me places.

"That's fine. Just text me what's happening," he says.

"I will. Love you," I say.

"Love you too," he says and we both hang up.

I walk upstairs and don't see Harry in the kitchen where he usually is. I walk upstairs and see that his door is closed. I knock lightly, hoping I don't disturb him too much.

"Come in!" He yells. I turn the doorknob and slowly walk in. I haven't really been in Harry's room much, but it is really nice. "Hey, love. What's up?" He asks, walking out of the bathroom. I think he was fixing his hair or something before I came in.

"Um, I was wondering if I could go to Kyle's," I say. I quickly add, "to practice for my audition tomorrow."

He thinks for a minute before responding. "I guess so, but only until 6:00. Then I'm picking you up," he says.

"Okay! Thanks, Dad," I say with a smile.

"You're welcome. I'll be downstairs in a minute. You can go get in the car," he says. I nod and walk out of his room and to the first floor. I grab his keys, which are hanging on a keychain, and walk outside to the car.

I sit in the passenger seat and grab my phone, texting Kyle, 'coming over! See you in ten.'

'Awesome! I'll be here,' he responds.

Harry gets in the car and I hand him his keys. "Thanks, love. Now, how do I get to Kyle's?" He asks. We begin driving and I explain how to get there.
•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•
"Bye, Dad. See you at 6:00," I say, closing the car door and walking up to Kyle's house.

I ring the doorbell and he opens it a few seconds later. "Hey, darling. Come in," he says. I smile and walk in.

"Wanna head down to the basement?" He asks.

"Yeah. Sounds good," I say.

When we arrive in the basement we both sit down on the couch. "I remember last time we were here," Kyle says softly while turning to me. I blush, remembering when he kissed me here last week. It was one of the best moments of my life.

"Me too," I whisper, making eye contact with him.

He places his hands on my back and carefully lifts me into his lap. He moves his face closer to mine; our faces are only inches apart. I feel his warm breath on my face as he tells me, "how am I so lucky as to be able to call you mine."

"I could say the same about you," I say. My face is probably a million degrees. Kyle never fails to give me butterflies whenever he's around.

Kyle pushes back the hair that is covering my face with one hand while keeping the other on my back

Kyle pushes back the hair that is covering my face with one hand while keeping the other on my back. He slowly leans forward more and his soft lips collide with mine. I kiss him back, moving my hands to both sides of his face. Kyle gently asks for entrance with his tongue, which I gladly accept. His strong arms hold me tightly as the kiss continue. I have never felt closer or more connected with Kyle before today. I think I am truly in love.