First Friday

I wake up to Harry rubbing my shoulder. "Wake up, love. It's your first Friday!" he says, attempting to get me up quickly.

"Ugh. Friday isn't all that great. It's kinda overrated," I mumble and bury my head in my pillow. "Saturday is where it's at."

I hear Harry chuckle. "Well, if you get through today, I'll make sure Saturday comes tomorrow," he jokes.

"You better," I say. "I'll be down in a minute."

I hear Harry's feet walk out of my room and I get up. Today was my first date with Kyle! Although I was excited, I still have to ask Harry. I'll do it after I get changed.

I put on a blue T-shirt, black skinny jeans, and white converse, figuring I'd change into something cute for the date after school. I also apply some mascara and concealer and do my eyebrows.
I comb through my hair and put it in a messy bun and head downstairs.

"Morning, Dad," I say and sit down with my phone and a banana from the counter

"Morning, love," Harry tells me, sitting down next to me and kissing my forehead.

"Dad, Kyle was wondering if I could go out tonight, can I?" I ask, probably sounding desperate.

Harry takes a minute to respond. "And where would you two be going?" He questions.

"I don't know. It's a surprise," I tell him. "I'll have my phone on me at all times, Dad, please, please, please," I beg.

"I guess so, but I want you back by 11:00 and you have to be checking you phone or letting me know how things are going during your date," Harry says, sternly. "Got it?"

"Yes! Thanks, Dad. You're the best," I say and hug him.  I didn't think it would be this easy to get him to say yes, not that I'm complaining.

"I love you too, El," he says and hugs me back.

The doorbell rings in the middle of our hug and we both break apart. "Got your lunch?" Harry asks.

"Yup," I say and point to my backpack. I probably wasn't going to eat anything. Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't say anything about only eating a banana for breakfast. I guess he didn't notice with the whole Kyle thing.

I say goodbye to Harry and leave with my friends. "Hey, Ellie. What's up?" Evan asks me. I felt bad for Evan. He came out to his father, I was the only one who knew about it, and I'm totally not making sure he's okay or anything. I'm a terrible friend. I'll ask him at lunch or art class.

"Nothing much, you guys?" I ask and receive a chorus of 'sames' go around.

"I heard you were going on a... date," Claire says, making the last word a whisper.

"It's not a secret," I whisper back. "And yeah, Kyle's gonna take me out tonight," I say, returning to a normal volume.

"Cute!" Rachel exclaims. "Where's he taking you?" She seem more excited than me.

"Ugh, girls," Ryan jokes before I have a chance to respond.

"Tell me about it," Evan says to Ryan with a laugh.

"Hey! It's not our fault Kyle is cute. And I don't know, Rachel. He won't tell me," I say.

"Ooh! A mystery. I'm intrigued," Rachel says. "Tell us where you guys go."

"Don't worry, you guys will be the first people I tell," I say. It was true. I didn't exactly have a ton of friends.

We arrive and school and all go our separate ways. I see Kyle standing by my locker as I leave my friends. "Hi, El!" He says and hugs me when I arrive.

I smile back at him. "Hey, Kyle. What's up?" I ask and hug him back.

"Oh, nothing much. Just thinking of tonight," he says and pulls away from the hug to look at me. "You excited?" He asks while pushing my hair behind my ears.

"Yeah. I am," I say, blushing. Kyle was too sweet for me.

"Good. Because we're going to have a great night," he says. I smile at him and he holds his hand out for me to grab. "Shall we walk to algebra, my princess?" He asks. I feel my cheeks heat up at his nickname for me.

I place my hand in his. "We shall, my prince," I respond. He smiles and squeezes my hand as we begin to walk to class.

"Hey, slut. Watch it," Kimmy says on our way over, purposely bumping into me.

"Sorry," I whisper. And here I was, thinking Kimmy would give me a break today; I guess I was wrong.

Kimmy scoffs and walks off. "Hey, you don't have to put up with that shit. Next time I'll say something," Kyle says, squeezing my hand. "I shouldn't have let her say that stuff."

"Oh, no, Kyle, it's fine. I'd prefer if we both just ignored her. It will probably go away if I act like it doesn't affect me," I say, although I did appreciate Kyle's willingness to stand up for me.

"Alright, that's a smart decision," he says and we walk to our desks in the back of the room.

Apparently I missed that we were having a test today, and so did Kyle. "Well, good luck," Kyle says as we move our desks away from each other as the teacher instructed.

I smile and wish him well too. It was obvious I was going to fail, though; I never pay attention, rarely do my homework, and have only been here for a few classes.

The teacher places the four page test on my test and I look at the first problem which asked me to solve using the quadratic formula.

What the hell was a quadratic formula?

I put down random answers for all the free response questions and guess on the multiple choice ones. The bell rings so I stand up and walk over to Kyle. "How'd you do?" He asks me.

"I'd be luck if I got two questions right," I answer with a giggle. "How about you?"

"I'm about as confident as you are," he smiles and wraps his arm around me. "Come on," he says. "I'll walk you to biology."