Surfing

(Song: Good Life by One Republic)
ELLIE'S POV
"Hurry up!" Harry whines as he runs to the end of the driveway. I'd rather not run, though. He can wait.

"No thanks. I don't like running," I inform from the top of the driveway.

He smiles and holds his hand out for me to grab once I reach him. "Then I guess we're going to have to talk for the whole walk," Harry says when I'm closer.

"Good. I like talking with you," I say with a smile as I grab his extended hand.

"If you think I'm not going to use that against you in the future, then you're sadly mistaken," Harry laughs.

"What? How could you use that against me?" I ask. We begin walking and continuing to chat.

"You know I was a teenager too, right?" Harry asks. "I know you guys think your parents are too lame to talk to, even though we're the coolest people around."

"No!" I exclaim, defending myself. "We think you're so lame so we do talk to you. Since you're lame, you can't judge us because we could just judge you."

"I didn't know that was what you really thought of me," Harry says with an overly dramatic sigh which makes me laugh.

"That's what you get when I talk to you," I shrug.

"I guess you're right," Harry says.

•~~~~~

Harry and I arrive at the beach a few minutes later. Before we enter, Harry stops.

His hand rests on my shoulder and he looks me in the eyes. "Hey, you sure you want to do this? I don't want you to do anything that makes you uncomfortable," he says.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," I say. "Thank you for also swimming in your clothes. I hate looking like the only idiot."

"What are you talking about?" Harry asks. "Swimming in your clothes is the new trend. Everyone does it."

"Shut up, Dad," I laugh.

"Yeah, yeah," he says before grabbing my hand and starting to run to the others.

"Haha, you have to run now. I'm not letting go," he laughs as I try to keep up behind him.

Eventually I give up and just stop moving completely. Harry turns around and rolls his eyes at the sight of me sitting on the sand.

"Oh my. My daughter is so lazy," he says and bends down, picking me up and holding me bridal style.

"Thanks. I really wasn't in the mood to move," I tell him, moving around to get comfortable in his arms.

"Of course! I hope you know I have charge $20 for each trip," he jokes, putting me down on the sand where the others were.

My friends surprisingly don't look like they've been in the water yet. "Ellie!" Rachel yells. "We decides to wait for you."

"Thanks, guys," I say with a smile.

"Well, it was my idea and all, but whatever," Ryan says, earning a few laughs from the rest of us.

"Well, thank you, Ryan," I say. "Come on, lets go surf! I have a lot to learn."

My friends all agree and we Claire hands me a blue surf board when I stand up. We then begin walking down to the water.

"Ellie, aren't you forgetting something?" Claire laughs a little.

Huh?

"No, what am I forgetting?" I ask, confused.

"Your clothes," she points out.

Oh, I forgot I didn't already tell them.

"Oh, right. I actually couldn't find any of my bathing suits, so I'm just wearing my clothes," I tell them with a chuckle.

"That makes sense. I was concerned for a second," Claire says. Before grabbing her board, she grabs her shirt and puts it back on, causing me to look at her questioningly.

"What? You think I'm going to let you swim in your clothes alone?" She ask.

"I'm in too," Ryan says, grabbing his shirt, covering up his toned body.

"Yeah, us too," Rachel says, referring to Evan and herself. They both grab their clothes and put them back on.

"You guys are mad," I say. "But, thank you," I add with a laugh.

I make eye contact with Harry before turning around to head toward the water. He winks and mouths, "have fun." I smile and nod my head.

•~~~~~

We arrive at the beginning of the water and stand with our feet in. "Oh my god, it's cold," I say, jumping out of the ocean.

"It's fine. You'll get used to it anyway," Evan says.

"Ok," I mumble before walking back into the freezing water.

"See, it's not so bad," Evan says with a smile. Before I can reply, Ryan splashes me with the water.

"Yeah, it's not so bad," he agrees with Evan.

There's no way Ryan is getting away with this. "You're right. It's not too bad," I say. I return the favor and splash Ryan back.

"Hey! Why would you do that?" He says, looking hurt.

I giggle and shrug my shoulders. "Just felt like it, I guess. No particular reason," I say.

"Sure," he says. "Well, I guess now that we're all wet, we can show Ellie how to surf."

"Yeah!" Rachel says. "First step is to follow me." She begins going further out into the water where the waves are better for surfing.

Once we stop, up to my rib cage is covered in water. My shirt keeps expanding as it fills with water, but I push it down with my hands.

"Ok, now just kneel on the board. This can actually be kind of hard until you learn how to balance," Rachel tells me.

I nod my head and hop up onto the board, immediately tumbling back down under water. "Pretty good, huh?" I ask, wiping the salt water from my eyes.

"Oh, yeah, totally," Ryan says. "Don't worry, I'll hold your board this time."

Ryan grabs one side of the board and Claire grabs the other. I hop on, this time not falling off due to the help of my friends.

"Hey, she's doing it!" Evan says excitedly.

Claire slowly lets go and I remain balanced on the board. Then, Ryan lets go and I, as expected, fall over again.

When I come out from under water, I brush the messy hair from out of my face and look at my friends. They all had smiles on their faces and begun to laugh.

"At least we found someone worse than me at surfing!" Claire exclaims. I look over at her and start laughing as well. Clearly, surfing is not my strong suit.

(A/N: hey! If you guys have any suggestions or events that you want to see happen, let me know and I'll try to include them.
Also, thank you so much for reading this far! 😊)