Home From Kyle's

(Holding On To You by Twenty One Pilots)
We pull into the driveway and both get out. The warm air felt nice, but even that couldn't remove the thought of Kyle from my mind. Maybe I should have just done it. It's not like I'm never going to do it again. I was just being selfish.

I must have looked deep in thought because Harry comes over and stands in front of me. "El, you here?" He asks.

"Yeah, sorry," I say and start walking to the door.

"Are you sure you're okay? I want you to tell me if something is wrong," Harry tells me as he catches up to where I am.

"No, Dad. I'm fine, really. Just a little shook up from the past few days," I say. Part of that is true, actually. I'm just not telling him the full story.

"Alright," he replies. He sounds a little unsure about his response, though. I'm not mad at him for being skeptical; I wouldn't trust me either.
•~~~~~
We get inside and I drop my backpack on the floor by the stairs. "Why don't you go start your homework? I know you didn't do any at Kyle's. Dinner will be ready in about twenty minutes," Harry says.

I nod my head and grab my backpack, bringing it to the kitchen table. I didn't feel like being without Harry right now. He always makes me feel better.

I sit down with my algebra homework and look at the astonishing amount of problems on the page. How the school expects me to do thirty-five questions in only two days is beyond me. It will take me forever to make it look like I'm doing work, let alone actually do it.

I try my best at the first equation, but fail miserably. For the next ten or so problems, I write down random numbers to make it look like I knew what I am doing.

Harry thankfully interrupts my homework by saying, "Ready for dinner?" It wasn't really a question, more of a 'move your math homework, I'm trying to give you your dinner' demand.

I take my algebra papers and shove them in my backpack which is sitting on the ground next to my chair. Harry puts a plate in front of me and another by his chair.

"Tell me how school went," Harry says as he walks around the kitchen counter to his seat.

"It was good for the most part," I tell him. "Kimmy was being annoying sometimes, but nothing more than usual. She didn't know the reason Dan wasn't here either," I say. If she knew I told someone about Dan, she would have literally killed me today.

"That's good, and I informed the school about the drugs today," Harry says. He seem hesitant to tell me any more, but he continues. "There is going to be a meeting between you and Kimmy tomorrow. I'll be there and so will Kimmy's parents."

"Dad, no," I say, dropping my fork on my plate which made a loud noise. "Dad, you can't. She's going to send the pictures to people," I say fearfully. My breath quickens and my eyes tear up.

"Love, calm down. We got it all figured out," Harry says, placing his hand on my back and rubbing it in circles. "The principal is going to take Kimmy's phone before we begin talking, and she's not going to give it back until those pictures are deleted," he finishes.

"Oh," I say calmly. "Sorry for sorta freaking out," I say, slightly embarrassed at my outburst.

"It's okay, love. I know this whole situation has been stressful for you. Once it's all worked out, you'll have nothing to worry about," Harry tells me while moving his hand away from my back.

"Okay," I say with a sigh. It's most likely not true, though. It seems like I'm always stressed about something.
•~~~~~
After we finish dinner, I help Harry clear the table and load the dishwasher. "I'm going to go do some more homework upstairs," I say and pick up my backpack.

"Wait, I'm going with you. We need to talk about something," Harry says. He runs his hand through his hair, showing he's nervous.

I have a strong feeling I know what it is. "Oh, okay," I say. He walks over to me and takes my backpack from my hands so I don't have to carry it. "Thanks," I mumble.

We walk upstairs and to my room. Harry sits on the side of my bed and motions with his hands for me to join him, so I do. I sit down next to him and lean into his side.

"El," he says I can feel him taking a deep breath. I don't respond, but he continues anyway. "I-I don't know what to say to make all the pain in your life go away. Believe me, if I knew, I'd say the words forever. Am I doing something wrong? I need you to tell me. I just can't bare to even think of you intentionally hurting yourself." His voice cracks at the end and I look up at him to notice he is crying. Great, that's all I ever do, make people upset.

"Dad," I say, looking up at him, my eyes welling up with tears. I hate seeing people cry, especially people I love. I shake my head. "No, it's not your fault. I promise," I choke on my words as they come out. "I-I've never been happier, actually."

Harry wraps his arms around me. "Love, I need to know why you have been harming yourself. I need to know how to help you. Can you do that for me?" he says. I feel Harry's unsteady heart beat as my head rests on his chest.

I guess I have to tell him my past. That's when everything started to go downhill. "I think so," I say, wiping my tears.

Harry moves from the side of the bed to the center to be more comfortable. "Come here, love," he says. I move so I'm sitting in front of him.

"I... I need to tell you the other part of my past," I say.