Meeting Harry

Ellie's POV
I knew it was Harry when he began to speak. He had a deep voice; I had noticed that in some the short interviews I watched of him a few minutes ago. I sigh and rub my eyes, hoping my mascara doesn't smear. I don't know why I'm so upset right now; it's never usually this bad.

Harry's voice grew louder and louder as he moved down the line. Honestly, I'm surprised he passed on so many of the young ones. He'll probably go back for one of them I guess. Only on rare occasions did people get farther than the first ten girls. They were all less than six years old, so families wouldn't have to worry about them remembering they were adopted because they were too young to understand.

As I'm looking down I see two large black boots standing to the left of me. Harry was talking to Juliet, the 12 year old, next to me.

I felt really uncomfortable all of the sudden. I don't know if it was the fact that he had gotten this far down the line and I'm just not used to actually having to talk to people, or if it was because I remembered that Mrs. Smith told me that Harry was looking for someone older and that I may have a chance. Whatever it was, it caused my breathing to become heavy. I feel like I am going to have a panic attack, so I run upstairs before he has the chance to talk to me.

As I was escaping to my room, I hear Mrs. Smith say, "Ellie! Where are you going?" I didn't bother turning around to explain because I didn't want to draw any more attention. Harry wouldn't want me anyway. Not after I just ran away from him. He must think I hate him or something.

I slam my door shut and crawl onto my bed. Great, I totally blew my chance at getting adopted. If I had a chance to begin with. I let the tears spill from my eyes and cover my mouth so I wouldn't  make too much noise.

HARRY'S POV
I got to the second to last girl named Juliet. She was very sweet and all, but I couldn't help but notice the last girl. She was likely about two or three years older than Juliet. I was almost finished with Juliet when I notice the girl run up the stairs. Then I hear Mrs. Smith yell for her. I quickly say goodbye to Juliet, being as polite as I can and walk over to Mrs. Smith.

"Hi, is everything all right with her?" I question in a worried voice.

"Oh, she should be fine. She just has bad anxiety. I'm assuming she got scared. She's a sweet girl, I think you should meet her," Mrs. Smith responds.

"Yes, I'd love to meet her. Thank you," I say. She beckons me to follow her up the stairs, and I do.

We stop at a wooden door at the end of the hallways. Mrs. Smith knocks on the door, "Ellie, are you there?" The girl, or Ellie, doesn't respond, but her whimpers are obvious from outside the door. "She's in here. I'll let you talk to her," Mrs. Smith says, giving me a sad smile. I nod my head and she walks away.

I take a deep breath before slowly opening the door. It was a small room, which makes sense, and it was painted white. I find Ellie curled up in a ball on the wooden bed in the corner of her room, so I walk over and kneel down next to her.

"Hey, Ellie, right?" I ask her, already knowing the answer, but just wanting her to communicate with me. She peeks out of he ball and nods. "It's nice to meet you Ellie, I'm Harry. Can you sit up for me, love?" I tell her. She takes a minute to process the information I told her before slowly sitting up in her bed.

She looks at me and I notice her eyes are red and puffy and her mascara was smeared. I feel so bad for her. She shuffles to the end of her bed and wraps her arms around her legs. I don't blame her, she's probably been through a lot. "Hey, Love, you don't have to be scared of me, I promise, I would never hurt anyone," I say, giving her a soft smile.

"I -I know. I'm s-sorry. I don't know wha-what's wrong with me," she whispers and wipes her eyes.

"No, no, no, there's no need to apologize, love. There's nothing wrong with you. You're a very lovely girl, okay? It's normal to be a little nervous," I tell her, trying to provide at least a little comfort.

"Thank you, Harry," she says, very quietly.

"Of course, love, anytime." We sit in silence for a few minutes while she wipes away the last of her tears. I break the silence by saying, "I see you have a nice guitar over there," I point to an acoustic guitar in the other corner of her room. "Do you play?"

She nod her head. "My Mom gave it to me," she tells me. Her voice was still soft, but I felt like she was beginning to feel more comfortable with me. I wondered what happened to her mom, but I figured I'd save that for another day.

"That was nice of her. Maybe we could play together someday, alright?" I say to her. She gives me a soft smile and nods her head. I move to sit next to her on her bed. "So, how old are you, love?"

"15," She says. That's actually a great age for me. She'll be able to handle herself on her own, but still needs some guidance.

I nod and say, "I have one final question for you, okay?" She nods her head and looks over at me. "Would it be okay if I adopted you?" I ask, hoping she'll say yes. Her eyes go wide. I can tell she was surprised.

"Yes! Please!" She says. "I mean, yes. That would be great," she corrects herself.

"Hey, it's okay," I say while rubbing her back. "I'm glad you're excited." She looks at me and smiles. We just sit there for a few minutes before I say, "how about we go and find those adoption papers, yeah?"

"Can I stay here and pack while you do that. I don't have a lot so I should be down soon," she says.

I nod my head. "Of course, love, take your time," I tell her with a smile before leaving her room to sign the papers.

ELLIE'S POV
Harry leaves and I grab my backpack from under my bed. I can't believe I am being adopted; I've been dreaming of this day for 7 years and it's finally happening.

I pack my five shirts, sweatshirt, and two pairs of pants in my bag along with my undergarments. Then I throw in my sketchbook, diary and toiletries.

Lastly I grab my blades from under my bed. I know I should harm myself, but sometimes I feel like I have no one else to go to. I move them to the bottom of my bag for extra security.

I take one last look at my room before heading downstairs to meet Harry, Mrs. Smith, and the other girls all waiting for me. "Oh, hi," I say.

Mrs. Smith is the first to come up to me and hug me. "I don't know what I'm going to do without you! I'll miss you!" She says. I hug her back.

"I'm sure you'll be okay," I laugh. "Juliet can take over," I look over at Juliet.

"Yeah, I'll help Mrs. Smith," She says.

"Ok, well you have fun with your new parent. Don't forget about us," she gives me one last hug.

"Of course. And I'll never forget you guys. You're like family to me," I say. I walk over to Harry and smile at him.

"Are you ready?" He asks happily. I nod and he grabs my hand. "Alrighty then, let's go!"