four - stumped

"DOWOOOOOOOOOOOON"

I ran straight to the drum room down the hall of the fine arts building.

Percussionists have a strict, 'percussion only' rule when it comes to who can get in the drum room. So once I got there, I banged on the door as hard as I possibly could while still yelling his name.

He finally opened the door, pulling an earbud out of one ear. "What's so important that you have to deploy an attack on the drum room?"

"Permission requested." Percussion kid thing.

"Permission granted." I now walked into the drum room pacing back and forth.

"Okay, so you remember that guy from the Asian restaurant? Well he actually goes to our school and I just ran into him in the piano room and he may not have meant to say it but he said that he's sending an application to Juilliard and with his application he has to submit a song LIKE ME DOWOON THIS GUY IS ALSO APPLYING FOR MUSIC COMPOSITION AT JUILLIARD."

He gave me a funny look. "Wait, so guitar boy is trying to get into Juilliard? Well, there's no point, because you're gonna get in, not him."

"Dowoon, he's AMAZING. I'm mediocre compared to Young K."

"Young who?"

"Young K. The guy. That's his name."

"Okay, well let's look at this rationally. Around how many people get accepted into the music composition program?"

"Like four. Out of everyone in the country Dowoon."

"Okay then, never mind."

I didn't want to mention that I gave this guy my number. Dowoon would totally grill me for that.

I groaned. "I'm going home, need a ride?" I asked Dowoon.

"Nah, I'm good, Jae's picking me up. We're going to Wingstop."

Jae was a friend of Dowoon's from summer music camps that Dowoon always goes to. He graduated from high school last year, but him and Dowoon still hang out a lot.

"Alright then," I told Dowoon. "I'm out, later."

I drove home to find myself alone. My mom was at work. Oh well.

I went to my room and flopped on my bed.

All I could think of was how to manage to be better than Young K.

I'd need to write the best song I possibly could.

I pulled out my little keyboard from under bed and started up my laptop. What day was it? October 26th. I had a little under five weeks to get my submission into Juilliard.

It doesn't really need to have words, does it?

I started messing around with my keyboard. I played an E minor chord here, no, that's not right, what about F# major? No, minor, no, wait-

"Are you busy?" I called Dowoon. I needed help.

"Actually, Jae's taking me home right now, why?"

"Come over to my house. And bring him too."

Ten minutes later there was a knock on at the front door. I opened it to see Dowoon standing there with another person who I could only assume was Jae. He was taller than Dowoon, wore glasses, and had messy blond-ish hair.

"Thanks for coming guys. You must be Jae?" I asked the stranger.

"That's right, and you're Y/N, right?"

"That's me. Sadly." I led them inside to the living room. I brought out my keyboard and laptop to show them.

"Jae, Dowoon's told me that you also go to music camps, so you must have experience in music right?"

"I mean, I've played guitar for five years, I guess you can call that experience." He sounded a little sarcastic.

"Well, I'm trying to compose something. And I need both of your guys' opinions."

I played the few chords that I had decided on to be my bass. "So what I'm really stuck on is the melody-"

Jae interrupted me. "What it sounds like you really need, is inspiration. And I can promise you, you're not gonna get any stuck here at your house. I may not have a Ph.D in song writing, but I do know is that this, needs a spark. It needs something...different."

I went blank. He was right.

I didn't know that that was what I needed to hear.

"You're right," I told Jae. "You're absolutely right." I closed my laptop.

Dowoon looked worried. "Y/N, you good?"

"Yeah," I shook my head. "Yeah, no, I'm perfect."

I stood up. "I guess, I got what I
needed. Thanks Jae, thanks Dowoon. I really did need this."

"No problem, Y/N." Jae said. "You ever need anything, you know how to find me."

I showed them out the door. "See you later Dowoon. See you around Jae."

I flopped back on my bed, in the exact same position I was in before.

Inspiration? How am I supposed to get that? Where am I supposed to get that??

I heard my phone go off on my nightstand next to my bed. I picked it up. A text from an unknown number.

"Hey, it's Young K :)" the text read.

Sigh. Why did my biggest worry of getting into Juilliard have to be really attractive?
___________________________
A/N: believe me when I say I love each and every person reading this :,) it makes me happy every time the number goes up. I really do appreciate you guys reading my story.
this story is one of my biggest priorities, ch. 5 will be out soon!!