six - friendly competition

The Flux was hands down, the coolest place I'd seen in my life.

There were classic arcade games everywhere, from Pac-Man to Doom, and at least a million skeeball machines.

Younghyun walked up to the counter and started talking to whoever was behind it. I was too dazed by the whole place to pay attention to what he was saying.

He turned toward me now holding a cup with some tokens and two wristbands.

"Put your arm out." I listened. He started adjusting one of the wristbands to my wrist. He looked up at me. "Does that fit okay?"

I don't know why but I was struck with a wave a shyness. I couldn't speak. His hands being really close to mine made me choke up.

I realized I probably looked extremely stupid not being able to speak next to a cute guy and I just nodded.

He laughed off the situation and closed the wristband.

I finally gained some sanity to speak. "Younghyun, what's this for?"

"Laser Tag," he said with a smirk, and started walking to the back of the building.

Before I knew it, Younghyun was strapping on a vest with a laser gun attached to it to himself.

"What are you waiting for? Strap up!" He took another vest hanging off the wall and threw it at me.

It's not like I really had much of a choice. I started to put on the vest but struggled as it was pretty heavy. Younghyun started to help me and adjusted it so it could fit me properly.

"Younghyun?" I asked him. He lifted his head in acknowledgment. "What's the point of you bringing me here?"

He looked at me baffled. "There is no greater teacher in the world than games. And to teach you to be less doubtful of yourself, we," he pointed a finger back and forth between the two of us, "are gonna play a little friendly game of laser tag."

"Besides," he grabbed the gun that was hanging off my vest and pushed it to my torso, "who doesn't like laser tag?"

We started to walk the enclosed area for laser tag games.

"Wait," I told Younghyun. "How does this work? Are we solo? Are we on teams? What?"

As soon as I said that, my vest started flashing blue, and his red. "I think you have your answer," he said as he started backing up from me with his gun pointed.

I ran. I started looking for more people with a blue vest, but everyone seemed stuck on surviving by themselves. It was one shot and you're out.

I had two options, fight on the offense or lay low on defense.

Despite my competitive nature, I wasn't risking anything. I'm going defense.

I walked around the area, which had walls and obstacles with openings all over the place. I found myself a good place of cover where I could easily defend myself.

I saw many people go down before my own eyes. Some on my team, which I tried to help, on some on the opposing. I hadn't seen Younghyun since I ran from him in the beginning. Did he get out?

I was starting to see less people around. I decided to switch tactics. It was time to go offensive.

I got up from my spot and held my gun close to me, up at my face, with my hand on the trigger. I moved slowly but surely. Scouting the entire area, I couldn't find anyone.

"I guess it's just you and me."

Without hesitation, I jumped as I turned around and pulled the trigger.