twelve - breaking the ice

The sun was starting to set. The sky was a mix of purple and pink, with hints of darkness.

Younghyun took a little bit of a break at a stop sign and grabbed his phone. He opened Spotify and put a playlist on shuffle.

The first song that came on was Shine by Pentagon, one of my all time favorite songs. I always start to dance and smile whenever I hear that song, but right now? I was so desperately fighting the urge to do so in front of Younghyun.

I was mouthing the lyrics along with the song. I could see Younghyun's head turn to look at me.

He started softly singing the song, almost like a lullaby.

Then the chorus hit.

"I'm a loser who loves you
Yes, I'm a misery
To you, I'm a nuisance, I'm an outsider
But in this world, I only need you."

Hearing Younghyun sing that song almost made me cry. The emotion behind the song sounded so genuine, I actually almost thought he was truly saying he's a loser who loves me.

Almost.

A few songs later, an EXO song came on, Power. It was literally killing me trying not to sing along so as not to embarrass myself. But I couldn't take it anymore.

All or nothing.

"WE GOT THAT POWER, POWER"

Younghyun looked at me and started laughing. He started singing along ridiculously loud too. And soon enough, we were both screaming our heads off to the song and every one after that, laughing and enjoying everything.

Eventually, Younghyun pulled up to a diner downtown. He turned off the car and the music went off. "This place has the best sundaes and milkshakes ever." He said before stepping out.

We both walked into the diner to be welcomed by a server. We were led to a booth and handed two menus.

"Go ahead and take a look, I'll be back in a few," our server said.

Younghyun immediately flipped to the back of the menu. "Look, all the desserts are here."

I flipped to the back and started looking. I actually wasn't really hungry, so I was only gonna get something light.

"I'm gonna get a chocolate milkshake, what about you?"

"I'm gonna get a sundae with hot fudge and whipped cream." He said, seeming pleased with his order.

I started to look around the diner. It had a very retro feel, with neon lights visible from the outside, checkerboard flooring, and even a jukebox on one side of the diner.

"I can't count the number of times I've been here." Younghyun started to say. "My father used to take me all the time when I was little. Then I started coming with my friends, or even by myself. Its always been one of my favorite places."

I looked up at him. He had a small smile on his face. He almost looked like he wanted to say more but couldn't.

I looked out the window and noticed it was now dark. "Look, the stars," I said, gazing at them. "I've always loved the stars."

"Really?"

"Yeah. When I was little, before bed, my mom would always tell me I was her star in the moonlight. She even had a whole song she would sing to me, but I forgot how it went."