Chapter three: Bullen"s All Girls Orphanage

At age 11, I walked into Bullen's All Girls Orphanage. I remembered that day like it was yesterday. Terrified. Terrified was the only word to describe how I felt that day. It was dark and gloomy, nothing of what I had expected.

Then again one cannot always have great expectations.

The house was rickety and old. The paint on the walls was peeling and the wooden floors creaked loudly when you walked upon it. The windows weren't washed and grime crept in the corners of the windowpanes. The scent that lingered in the air made my stomach churn. It smelt of old unwashed clothes and spoilt milk. I breathed through my mouth preventing myself from smelling that obnoxious smell.

Sadly, it didn't do much because when the air reached the back of my throat, it promptly caught and I started choking on air. When the escort who brought me here, who I learned was named Benjamin, a tall but not too tall, bald mid-thirty-year-old man, realised the situation and he spontaneously started slapping my back, trying to release me from my coughing fit.

Once that subsided, a bulky, stern-looking women with pitch-black hair and identical eyes that pierced through me in such a way it seemed as though she was revealing all my faults, history, insecurities, every fear in me revealing itself to this petrifying women before me, came down the stair directly in front of us.

She sent a cold shiver down my spine as soon as she approached us, her shoulders squared, her posture straight, her clothing formal, her whole look screamed authority. The thing that made me gulp not so subtly was the cane she bore in her hands, long and strong. She must have heard my loud fear-filled gulp because a very subtle smirk played but as soon as I saw it she quickly covered it up with a cold front mask on her now poker face.

"Hello, Mr Scott. Doctor Boulevard informed me of arrival," her voice was quite low for a woman, sharp, full of authority, stern and definitely cold, like really cold. For a second I actually felt that cold tone seep into my bones causing me to shiver. Her gaze shifted to me, making eye contact, and that same feeling of being exposed took over me. She continued-

"Ahh, you must be the little scoundrel whose parents are now rotting in jail for a few years. Isabella is it?"

I felt Ben stiffen considerably next to me, clearly affected by the words directed to me. I flinched at her words, hating the way she said my name. She spoke so smugly it somehow infuriated me.

"Well, are you gonna answer me girl, or are you deaf?" she snapped at me pulling me out of my thought. It was a bit harsh but I replied nevertheless. I cleared my throat slightly attempting to sound strong and confident. Instead, that plan went crumbling the moment I opened my mouth and replied in a shaky breath-

"Ye-es mam."

"Oh, and she speaks. Alright then, Mr Scott, you may leave now but don't forget to bring the girls bags in, that's if she has anything, she looks like she came out of the scotter camps."

She mumbled the last part but I still caught it. She really was starting to irritate me with her little two sense comments but she was far too scary for me to retaliate. I realised that I still don't know what her name is so I may just start calling her Miss Trunchbull, but of course not to her face.

As if reading my mind she starts speaking in her authoritative voice-

" Isabella, I am Miss B Bullen. You will refer to me as either Miss Bullen or Lady Bullen. I do not tolerate nonsense and disobedient behaviour. If you decide to test my patience I will punish you. The curfew is 7 o clock sharp and if you are caught out of bed after the set time you will be sleeping on the floor for a week. Am I loud and clear?"

Her tone was sharp, cold and promising. the glint in her eyes assured me that whatever she said was in fact very true. The rules she just gave me more reason to fear her, so I replied instantly not wanting to be in her presence another second.

"Yes Miss Bullen, loud and clear."

"Good. Now go to your room that you will be sharing with the other girls, dinner will be ready in about an hour. If you prefer to skip dinner, go ahead I don't care. But don't expect me to feed you later on. Now scram."

I was a bit shocked with her words but pushing that to the back of my head, I ran up the stairs, not quite ready to meet the others.

I was a bit anxious about what they would think of me, but on the other hand, I was excited about making a few friends. it would be different, but a good different. maybe we can prank Miss Trunchb- I mean - Miss Bullen together. That would be nice.

My thought came to halt as I stood in front of what I assumed was the dormitory room. I really need to start focusing on my surroundings before I end up lying on the floor from tripping or something. Fortunately, it hasn't happened, yet. I cautiously knocked on the door before grabbing the partially rusted door handle attached to the wooden door that looked like it was going to come off its hinges any second.

The door squeaked as I pushed it to open another few inches, peering inside. Immediately, about twelve pairs of eyes glanced my way. They appeared to be playing a game on a bed at the far end. All the girls varied in so many ways; blonds, brunettes, tall, short, age. Some even looked as though they only were about seven. All the girls looked at me curiously, until one stood up, a tall brunette with light blue eyes. Probably about 16 years old. She smiled warmly at me as if giving me assurance, and spoke in an even warmer and friendly voice.

"Hi, my name is Gracy, nice to meet you."

I gave her a small smile before replying softly-

"Hi."

"Well, girls," she directed her voice to the others. " are yourl just gonna sit there or are we going to welcome a new friend."

As she finished speaking I was immediately swarmed with all twelve girls.

A huge grin was spread across my pale face. I think I am going to fit in hear perfectly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHOHOOOO!!

Chapter four done.

I can't wait to introduce the girls.

Well until then fellow citizens.

Live long and prosper.

xoxo xcrazymonkeyx