Chapter Thirty Five : Secrets

Life.

Life seemed so kind to him. Looks, money, popularity.
Everything...

But a perfect heart.

I wasn't breathing. My breath got stuck in my throat at his words. His gaze was fixed on the dark abyss above us.

A gust of wind broke and I felt the air rush back into my lungs. My hair whipped in the night, dangerous locks flying back.

Silence surrounded us and seeking the warmth that he radiated, I shifted closer to his side and rested my head on his shoulder. There were no words spoken and even so, words were of no use. The actions and silence itself held a thousand words within them.

Ethan sighed a heavy burden until I felt the weight of his head on mine.

Then and there I knew I could trust him. For him to share such big news to me, I wanted to open myself whole to him. He didn't have much time, from his physique and dark eyes, I knew that. But my heart still pounded in my chest and I was determined to let it beat for both of us.

***

(Ethan)

Countless doctor appointments, countless heartbreak. Each time was the same-

"He isn't improving."

"We don't have a transplant at hand."

"I'm sorry, there is no change to his heart."

"The irregular beating hasn't changed."

Every fucking time, the same goddamn news.

I didn't want anyone near me. I didn't want to fall in love. I didn't want to let anyone in.
And then I saw her brunette locks shielding the beauty I was yet to discover.

I saw a glimpse of dark brown eyes holding so many secrets. Her tall slim figure made my eyes sparkle. Her flawless pale skin. Her pink full lips. Her high cheekbones. Her everything.

And then I just had to kiss her. That's all it took to light the furnace inside of me. Her gaze was all it took to make my body burn. Her scent itself made my knees weak.

Her closed doors, opening with every step I took towards her, I knew I was gone. Because the closer I got, the closer she got to me.

I fell in love, something I was not supposed to do, but it happened anyway.

I breathed in the night air and allowed my hand to skim her small waist to bring her fragile body closer to mine. She stiffened but immediately relaxed when her head rested on my chest. I melted. I fucking melted.

My heart thudded profusely, an irregular pattern, but beating none the less.

We sat in silence caught up in our thoughts.

I felt her take a deep breath before filling the silence with a soft-spoken story-

"The orphanage has been my home since I was eleven. My parents were abusers. Every problem, I became the cause. The day it all ended, they wanted to kill me but my neighbour called the cops just in time. I was scared to step into this house. I was scared shitless." She chuckled slightly and I felt her breath pick up. I shifted a bit getting comfortable.

"Then the-there was this girl." Her voice broke and I immediately pulled us away from the edge of the roof and next wrapped my arms around her waist, setting her body on my lap. Leaving my legs outstretched, she wrapped her arms around my neck and nuzzled her head into my neck, finding home.

I kissed her head encouraging her to be strong. She shivered, making me tighten my hold on her.

"Her name was Gracy. Gracy was my sister, my everything. She was the first person I spoke to, she was the first person to make me feel safe in a long time. She had these beautiful ocean eyes and long dark hair. She was perfect in every which way."

She went rigged recalling the demons hidden inside. Pouring them out and ridding them from her head.

"Then he came. He came and ruined everything. She fell in love with him and he was always here. He was everyone's friend and my-" she took a deep breath, " my brother. I adored him and the way he treated her. It made her happy, so I was happy. And then it happened. They went out on a Friday night, I didn't know that was the last day I would see her. They crashed. He lost control in the rain and went flying into the wall of a building. She took most of the impact... he, well he survived. He didn't only just survive and not her, he left right after. He didn't come back to tell the girls he didn't come back to me. I saw him at the hospital and that was it."

My blood ran cold. My suspicions grew. " What was his name?" My voice sounded distant but she answered and I saw red.

"Ryan Shaw, his name was Ryan Shaw."

The memories of her screaming at him in the classroom made me want to get up and find out where he lives just to beat the shit out of him. He left his sister when she needed him most. Fucking bastard.

I took a deep breath before allowing her to continue. Mindlessly I felt my rough fingers run through her hair, calming both me and her from the nostalgic weight pulling us down.

"Bullen was upset ever since. She became stricter, drank often. One day she took it out on me. Not only did I have to deal with Gracy's passing and Ryan's disappearance... I had to deal with more abusing. She wanted to beat the others, I refused. I made myself the target. I couldn't let them get hurt. Years I took it. Years no one noticed. The girls had to witness it first hand, to terrified to interrupt, even so, I didn't allow them... And then you just had to make me your mattress in the cafeteria."

I remember it like it was yesterday. The bruises on her face and on her back. The vulnerability in her stare and frail body against the wall. Gosh, even in her imperfections she still is beautiful in my eyes. I smiled recalling the memories of our first encounter. Doug pushed me into her because he knew my obsession with the girl at the back of the classroom.

"You came and changed everything. From no life, you gave me more then I've had in ten years. You make my heart beat Ethan. You make me hope. Hope Ethan! I haven't hoped since Gracy. You cared. I can't seem to fathom why and how. But in true honesty, I don't know where I would have been without you. I was ready to give up, you gave me a reason to move forward."

My breathing became heavier with her words. I closed my eyes letting it all sink in. I felt her head rise from my shoulder. Her stare burned into my face and her cold fingers clasped my cheeks. Her touch sent jolts of unknown electricity through my body.

With a sharp intake of fresh air, I opened my eyes to meet with the most beautiful shade of brown that I could get lost in forever.

Her eyes gleamed and I felt my heart stop with the words that left her kissable lips.

"I'm in love with you Ethan, and I wouldn't change it for the world."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow.

Every bit of this chapter either made my body mush or left tears in my eyes.

What are your thoughts with these revelations and Ethan's insight on everything? Let me know and comment.

Love you all.

xoxo xcrazymonkeyx

P.S. sorry for the late update. Exams are started real soon and I'm going to be busy busy busy.