Chapter Twenty: Blue-Doughnut Men

My mind was racing. Where am I supposed to tell Ethan to drop me off?

I cannot tell him about the orphanage. Nuh huh- no can do.

But where am I gonna tell him to leave me?

"So, are you going to give me directions or am I supposed to read your mind?" Ethan said amused, as he drove down the street and nearer the school.

My head was spinning and my hands got clammy as I stressed of the possibility of him discovering the girls.

Landmarks! Any landmarks close by the orphanage. I'm stupid. 

Isabella, everyone is stupid to you, and apparently, that also includes you.

"You also stupid then." I scoffed.

"You just called me stupid..."

"oh, no did I say that out loud?" I said thinking out loud again.

"Indeed you did," Ethan said amused, not taking his eyes off the road

I sighed. I looked at him and flushed embarrassed that I was speaking my mind, literally.

"Um, sorry. Just got a bit caught up with a few things. " I then noticed we passed the school and I got an idea.

"Hey, Ethan, can you drop me off at the pedestrian crossing you once toppled me by?" I said quickly.

"Is it not too far from where you live?" he swiftly looked at me then diverted his attention back to the road. His face couldn't look more spectacular from a side angle. His jaw looked Amazing.

"Nope. It's perfect." I said giving him a small smile even if he couldn't see it.

"But it's getting dark out and I need to make sure your home safe." 

My heart jolted at the fact that he cared and I was too shocked to think of anything to say. Until-

"I mean if you get murdered on the way, I do not wanna have the Blue-donut men on my doorstep."

I rolled my eyes nut still had a smile on my face because of what he called the police.

I raised an eyebrow at him and said, "Blue-donut men?"

He threw a quick glance at me with a smile lighting up the car. Sheesh, since when have I gotten so cheesy?

"Yah! Those guys wear blue uniforms the whole day and eat doughnuts and get fat.  Some do such a pathetic job that they don't get to be called Cops or anything related to the force. And I found Blue- doughnut men quite suitable for their temporary title until they learn to pull up their fucking socks. Like seriously, those dip-shits don't know the difference between a parking ticket and a grocery receipt."

I laughed at his long explanation about the cops and just looked out the window thinking of how I couldn't have the chance to overthink on simple things rather than mind wrecking catastrophes.

When we neared the crossing, I grabbed my backpack from the back seat causing the back of my shirt to ride up a bit as I leaned over. When I plopped back in my seat I looked towards Ethan to see his eyes hardened and jaw clenched. I looked at him confused just before he spoke-

"What happened to you back Isabella?" I looked at him wide-eyed. The car already came to a halt at the side of the road.

I forgot that the bruises (from the last time Bullen went bat-shit crazy) were still visible. I quickly mumbled a "nothing" before opening the car door and stepping away.