Chapter Thirty Eight: The Date

Great.

I word I never imagine to describe the past few weeks of my life. It's been great and holy moly have I been happy. We were this unofficial couple since *eye roll* Ethan wanted to officially ask me out on the date we have today. I mean he really doesn't have to do anything special. Just having him around makes me smile like a freaking Cheshire cat.

School has now become my favourite place because my favourite person is there... so kind of a given. He would spend every break with me regardless of what his friends would say. Of course, the whole school isn't over the fact that Ethan and the mental are an item, but we don't let it bother us.

You can legit smell the jealousy of the girls whenever we walk the halls hand in hand or when he gives me a quick kiss before running off to his class (swoon again). I've got some haters and some supporters but Ethan never left my side so I never had to deal with anyone.

"Alaska! I don't have anything to wear!" this is exactly why I didn't want to go to anything special.

"Chill girly, I managed to get a few dresses the other day for you and me. Check in my trunk." She shouts back.

I scrambled from my chest to hers and threw the lid open. I rummaged scavenging for any dress. I released a breathe when I came across a lilac coloured simple dress that was both formal and casual. Laying the dress on my bed I rushed to the bathroom to have a quick shower. Alaska is the biggest so she was able to go to the mall every Saturday to shop for the girls and me when Ms Bullen was out.

Shit!

What am I supposed to tell the Trunchbull when Ethan comes to pick me up? I highly doubt she will allow me and the history with boys coming into the orphanage weren't exactly the greatest.

When I was dressed and ready I walked to the mirror and looked myself up and down.

Hmm, not too bad. Brit what do you think?

Well, your hairs a bit untidy, why don't you tie it up for a change.

I grabbed the hair tie on the small desk beside the mirror and pulled my hair back but of course, the few smaller hairs and bangs framed my face gently. It surprisingly accentuated my cheekbones and I felt a bit more open in a way. My hair was and will always be my shield. It was like a protection to me whenever I kept my head down and curtained myself. With it being tied up, I felt like I was revealing another part of myself to the world.

Maybe put some of that pink lip gloss that you never use?

I swiped it on my lips rubbing it together to spread the contents evenly. It felt slippery but I didn't mind.

Hmm... it's missing something.

And what's that?

A smile.

I blinked staring at my reflection in the mirror. I don't know why I hesitated to smile at my reflection even though it's become so natural since Ethan...

Maybe it's because I'm smiling at him and not myself? Maybe it's because I'm still this insecure girl who doesn't have a reason to smile at herself. Yes, the fact that Ethan came into my life is amazing and all and has changed me in many ways possible, it doesn't change the way I view myself or the way my mind thinks. I'm more positive and I'm more myself, but I still see myself as a broken depressed girl.

I heard a rapped knock on the door and I immediately scurried out the door and down the stairs. I swung the door open with a huge grin plastered on my face. My pony-tail swinging gently as my movements came to a standstill.