[ 01 ]

O N E
THIRD PERSON'S POINT OF VIEW

"HOW WERE YOUR CLASSES?" The aunt asked her niece, who had just returned from the 'educational' place which was another form of hell

"HOW WERE YOUR CLASSES?" The aunt asked her niece, who had just returned from the 'educational' place which was another form of hell. Taehee brushed her long straight black tresses behind her hair, placing her school bag in the corner of the living room. "Fine. Same as always." She murmured, acquiring an apron and putting it on. Her aunt clicked her tongue, her head shook as she watched her niece immediately get ready to help her out. "You know... if you won't make any friends, you might as well at least change out of your good clothes to 'hang out' with me." The young university student looked down at the clothes she wore, then back at the buckets and bottles of paints along with the white canvases that sported them.

She knew her aunt was right. These were some of her few good clothes, she needed to keep them clean to wear for classes. Taking a few steps on the polished wooden vinyl floor, she had arrived to her bedroom. Her aunt's house was one story only. But it was pretty big as it should be for her aunt's workshop. Her occupation was making large canvases to put in rooms and exhibitions. Basically an artist.

Taehee removed the apron and clothes she wore, placing the worn clothes gently aside. They only did laundry twice a week to save up on money. It was best not to get clothes stained or smelly till then. She slipped on an oversized shirt, because of her short figure it reached just a inch above her ankles. The shirt was covered in paint stains she could probably never get out. "Can't you hang out with your friends? As much as I enjoy your company, your lovely aunt deserves time alone too. Preferably with men. In bed." Taehee scrunched her nose up in disgust, scrutinizing her sexually driven aunt who feigned an innocent look.

"What? It's not my fault you have like no friends." She said nonchalantly, a humorous tone underlying her rough voice. A frown sprawled across the girl's face, "I do have friends. I have Kyungsoo oppa, Jihyo, Jongdae oppa and Sunyoung unnie. And if you're really that lonely, I'll take a day off tomorrow." She listed before pouting at the older female, who had just finished cleaning her hands for the next painting. She chuckled, ruffling her niece's long hair. "I love you, Taehee. Never forget that."

• • •

"Whoa... what the fuck is going on?" Taehee asked herself once she got home from her classes. Today was different. Instead of the nice view of her house, she could only see a black limo parked in front of it. Mini flags of South Korea swaying with the wind on its roof. But what was even more strange was when she found two bulky tall men dressed in all black were on each side of her door. They looked down at the female, "Are you Eun Taehee?" The one on the left asked, making her nod timidly. The guy on the right gasped at his co-worker, "She's so small. And adorable- I mean, we've been waiting for you. Ms. Eun and Ms. Oh are waiting for you, your royal highness." He cleared his throat as he regained his firm and gruff tone.

Taehee cocked her brow at the two men, who opened the door for her. "Ms. Oh? Your royal highness? What type of joke is this?" The student was really bewildered. Her environment was seriously simple. Nothing ever happened to her and her aunt. So this was really something. "Oh? You arrived." Her aunt said nervously, an agitated giggle escaping her lips. Which made her even more confused then she already was.

The slender woman next to her stood up, bowing at the twenty-three-year-old female. "Good afternoon, your royal highness. I'm Oh Chaesoo, but please call me Ms. Oh. I assume you're wondering what's going on?" Taehee eyed the sophisticated woman who was dressed in formal attire. "With those clothes, I really do." She murmured, making her aunt exchange nervous glances with the dressed up female. "Please take a seat, your royal highness. You'll need it. I'm about to tell you something that will change your life forever." The student furrowed her brows, taking a seat next to her flustered aunt. She observed the two faces. One came off has nervous, curious and scared. The other came off professional, composed, a bit agitated. In other words, both women had something to tell.

"You are aware of your mother right? Hwang Jiyoo? I'm also sure you know the Hwang royal family?" Ms. Oh told her slowly. Now Taehee wasn't stupid. She could see how the lady was trying to link the two names. But she continued to raise her brow. The lady took out a tablet, displaying a photo on the screen. "This is your mother in 1994. She's was eighteen at the time. She also was in line to take over the throne for the royal family. Do you understand what this makes you? A princess."

"Me? A princess?- shut up!" Ms. Oh pursed her lips, cocking a brow at the female. Taehee's aunt put a hand on her niece's back, "Sorry about that. She may need to learn a lot." The formally dressed female nodded, dismissing the sudden outburst. The aunt turned Taehee to face her. "Look, she's not lying. My brother and your mother loved each other dearly despite the two different worlds they lived in. They had you to prove it. It will always be unfortunate you could never meet them. Your parents would have loved you. And they do. But you really are royal blood, Taehee. We don't even need to see the DNA tests. It's right here. You're almost a carbon copy of her." The student widened her eyes at her aunt's tone. She had never seen the woman be so serious. Hell, she was tearing up while explaining the truth.

Taehee cleared her throat, her eyes landing on the woman in front of her. "If I really am a 'princess', why are you telling me now? Why have I not been living in a castle my whole life?" Ms. Oh released a faint sad smile. "Former Queen Heeju was aware of your mother's relationship with your father. She kept it hidden from everyone. The love she had for her daughter was unbreakable. But as you know, in 1996, a year after you were born, Princess Jiyoo was in a car crash. She had passed away. And your father had committed suicide upon the news. And on that very year, Queen Heeju had passed away due to a heart attack. While dying, she kept a hidden will. In the will, it had all the birthing documents about you. Sadly, we only found it after daring to clean her room after twenty-two years."

"After that the Byun royal family took over the kingdom. For a family who should have many heirs, the Hwang family was very small. Small and powerful. Since Princess Jiyoo was the last heir and Queen Heeju was the current heir, both of their deaths lead up to no Hwang heir being left to take over. A lot of the Hwang family members exiled their royal title. And legally they weren't able to take the throne. But as of now, you are the rightful and immediate heir to the throne. Moreover, your grandmother signed an agreement forty-three years ago. It was between the Hwang family and Byun family. That the next Hwang heir will be immediately betrothed to Byun heir in line. Because of all the exiled titles and your mother's death, that agreement falls to you. You, Princess Eun Taehee, will be marrying Prince Byun Baekhyun according to the Hwang and Byun Betrothal agreement in order to perform your rightful duties as a royal member of the Hwang family."