[ 08 ]

E I G H T
THIRD PERSON'S POINT OF VIEW

IT HAD ALMOST BEEN three weeks since Taehee moved into her new life

IT HAD ALMOST BEEN three weeks since Taehee moved into her new life. Today a fancy dinner would be in her name to celebrate the revival of the Hwang heir. The King would be there, as well as his brother and sister and their children. No one from the Hwang family would be there except for Taehee as none members who exiled their titles were invited. A cruel dinner it was. The King even invited Ms. Oh and the head of security to join. The dress code was extremely formal. Long dresses and gold jewelry. The whole shazam.

And the stylists did wonders with Taehee. A long white dress fitted her short figure while diamond gold jewelry adorning her neckline. Her long black hair was pinned up in a bun, held by a gold clip encrusted by diamonds. If someone asked how much she was worth right now, she would honestly say millions.

Hesitantly Taehee stayed close to Baekhyun as it was all part of the agreement. Photos were going to be taken as reporters waited for the 'couple' to arrive at the palace's gates. After moving away slightly once they got into his Lamborghini, she could feel his eyes trained on her. "What?" She asked with no interest, her voice was flat and dry. "Nothing." He returned the same tone, but kept eyeing her. This was the first time he hadn't seen her in trousers, a blouse and a coat given to her by the stylists. He remembered when she was complaining last week that she had never worn a dress. And that the only skirt she owned was one from high school. He couldn't help but compare her to the actresses, celebrities and other high ranking females he had met.

And for some reason, she had come out on the top of his list. Or maybe it was just because his sexual drive had started once again. It never really shuts off. The 'couple' arrived to the palace, making Baekhyun link his arm through hers. Only resulting a sigh to escape Taehee's lips. Cameras flashed in their eyes as they walked to the gate. The princess used all of the posing tips she got from Ms. Jung to use for the cameras. She waved slightly as did Baekhyun, both people showing off their best fake smiles. "Why is your smile so square?" She told him out of her teeth, like a ventriloquist.

"Shut up. Not likes yours is any better. Why is your smile so wide? Who's dic—" Taehee pinched his arm while smiling. "I dare you to finish that sentence. Do it and I'll be stabbing your foot with these painful heels for the whole dinner." Baekhyun's eyes averted to her feet, looking at the white pairs of hell. He also remembered that she had only worn heels once, and hated them ever since. The girl complained more than he ever could.

After going quiet and finishing the picture routine with the cameras, the duo walked into the palace dining room with some of other attendees following behind them. "Our future King and Queen! Welcome!" Baekhyun sighed at voice he heard. That was the voice of his uncle and his aunt, both unfortunate siblings of his father. He couldn't believe he was actually related to them. The two bowed slightly at the other people who attended the dinner. Taehee's breath hitched when she felt Baekhyun's arm on her back. "Please ignore everyone from my family except for my father. They're all crazy for the throne. They're probably planning to kill us.

The chance that they tried to do the same with my dad is very likely. They were pretty calm when my mother passed away." He whispered in her ear, guiding her to a seat as he was eyed by his cousins. Taehee blinked, not knowing what to do with that information. It was confusing situation to be in. They sat next to each other as he kept murmuring. "Just give simple answers to their questions. They'll try to get you flustered with them."

• • •

The dinner was finally over. As soon as the duo arrived home, Baekhyun had given the maids and butlers the rest the of evening off. Taehee was taking off her dangling earrings when the prince stood at her door. She cocked a brow before going on to remove the light pink rose lipstick the stylist's applied. "I'm sorry." He apologized, his eyes looking straight at her. "For what?" She asked innocently, taking a seat at her vanity. "They insulted you. And for that I'm sorry." He said, holding back his anger. Taehee looked up at his dark eyes that seemed clouded by emotion. It scared her. Where did that cocky fuckboy go? "It's okay. Go get changed and sleep." She dismissed the subject, taking out her hair by removing the gold clip. Baekhyun furrowed his brows, walking into her room with the anger he couldn't hold back anymore.

He grabbed her wrist roughly, "They called you degrading names discreetly even though it was fairly obvious. They insulted your previous lifestyle. If I was you I wouldn't know what I would do if they humiliated you mother as well. How can you say it's okay and tell me to leave it alone?!" He raised his voice slightly, making Taehee widen her eyes. Not just because of the volume of his voice, the pure disgust and vexation he portrayed in his face and tone scared her even more. "I'm used to it. It happens a lot in a normal life. And if this is what's going to happen now... I'll deal with it. It's the only way I can survive." She patted his cheek gently, removing herself from his grip and glancing away from his frozen posture.

Baekhyun studied the resilient girl in astonishment. He knew that if other people in her status went through what she did, they would have left through that dinner right there and then. Not like her, who stayed the whole dinner through the harsh comments. "I know that we don't get along too well, Taehee. But as a real man, I will not let anyone degrade you. I hope you know that." He softly said, watching her struggle to open the zipper of her dress. He took a few steps towards, pulling the zipper down lightly so she could reach it by herself. "Let's go back to hating each other tomorrow." He faintly told her, a comical tone underlying his voice. Taehee lightly laughed as he got out of her room.

"Let's do that."