Chapter 19

Kat's POV:

"You're scared, I can see you tremble

Shaking like a dog, shitting razor blades

Feel the shadows like a stranger" _ Join the Club, BMTH

The wooden beam blocking the door of the kitchen won't give in no matter how hard I push or pull. My fingernails are torn and bloody, and there are tears streaming down my cheeks from the pain, the smoke, the desperation. And suddenly, the beam disappears. I gasp and lunge forward, and am just about to turn the handle when I heard an ear-splitting scream behind me. I turn around and see Amber sitting on the floor, rivulets of blood running down her arms from her slit wrists and forming a red pool at her feet. Instantly I know that if I don't do something, anything, she will die of bloodloss. I look back to the kitchen door, torn.

"You have to choose," says a voice to my right, a voice I immediately recognize as Oli's.

And there he is, leaning against a wall, an amused smirk on his face even as tall flames rise around him.

"You should hurry, they don't have much time. So who will it be? Amber or your parents? Your parents or Amber?"

Panic seizes me as I look from Amber to the door, and back again. I know it's only a matter of seconds now, but I can't bring myself to choose. The voices of my parents are fading, and Amber's face is getting paler by the second. Fear paralyzes me and clouds my mind; I can't make a decision.

"Tic toc," Oli says.

The wall of flames is getting nearer and nearer, and still I can't move.

"Run!" comes my mother's voice from behind the door. "Save yourself, Kat!"

"No!" I scream. Mom!"

I start towards the kitchen door again, and am just about to open it when, at the last second, I look back at Amber. She gives me a small, sad smile.

"It's okay," she whispers.

No. It's not okay. I can't let her die. But just as I think that, she gives a little sigh and falls to the side in a pool of her own blood. A small cry escapes me.

"Amber!"

"Too late," Oli says simply, his head cocked to the side. "You should have chosen."

My eyes widen as I realize there is no sound coming from the kitchen anymore. I bang the door open, but behind it is nothing but ashes. When I trun around, Amber's body is gone.

"It's too bad really. You could at least have saved one of them," Oli says before disappearing too, leaving me alone.

I fall to my knees, and smoke fills my eyes, my mouth, my throat, my lungs. I can't speak, I can't see, I can't breathe. Everything goes black.

I woke up with a start, and immediately strong arms folded around me and a voice shushed me gently. Ash. Though I wasn't cold, I was shaking. I took a deep breath, trying to get my sobs under control. Ash held me until I calmed down a little, then loosened his grip on me, but kept whispering soothing words in my ear.

"It's okay, Kitty. It's over. It was just a bad dream. It's over. Shhh, it's okay. I'm here."

After a while, I turned around to hug him tightly.

"Thank you, Ash. I love you."

He gave a little laugh.

"Right back at you, dear."