Chapter 22

Oli’s POV:

“It’s hard to say which side of me is in the right

With these two different people inside of me” _ Identity Disorder, OM&M

“Middle fingers up! If you don’t give a fuck!”

A sea of middle fingers rose up to meet my call and faced my own as I screamed my heart out. This song always gave me a surge of adrenaline and judging from the expression of the fans, it was the same for them. The song held power and strength because it was a rebellion, a big ‘fuck you’ to the world. I loved it.

I gave a small smile to Matt K as he joined in on the chorus, too taken by the song to actually realize what he was doing. It was totally understandable, as the atmosphere at Warped was like nothing else. There was a special energy to the crowd, with so many people gathered around looking for a release in the music, singing along, jumping, headbanging, moshing… It was great and one of the biggest reasons why I loved Warped so much. Another one was that I got to see old friends again. Not to mention that, at Warped, we got to see our good friends again. Speaking of, I spotted Austin, Phil and Tino from OM&M near the back of the crowd and smiled at them. This caused several people to look in their direction, and soon they were surrounded by people, who were probably asking for pictures and autographs. Oops, sorry guys.

But as we started on the next song, the attention turned away from the guys and back to the stage. We ended the concert with Chelsea Smile, an old song from our second album, and it made me happy to see the crowd shout the lyrics back at me. As soon as the concert was over, after thanking the crowd, we left the stage. Despite it being around 7pm, the air was blazingly hot and we were drenched in sweat. We went straight back to our tour bus, where we watched a funny movie while stuffing our faces with pizza.

“Hey, do you guys want to host a party soon?” Matt N asked, to which both Lee and I grimaced.

“Don’t feel like cleaning up afterwards,” he said, and I nodded approvingly.

“Why host a party when you can just go to other people’s?” Jordan asked.

“Well, you get to decide who to invite,” Matt N pointed out.

“How about we do what SWS and PTV did?” Matt K proposed. “We just take over the party of another inexperienced band, but still hold it in their bus. That way they have to clean up.”

“Clever,” Matt N said, and they high-fived, grinning at each other.

“Yeah, but do we know any inexperienced band who’d be willing to host a party?” Lee asked.

“Well, Oli does.”

They all turned to me expectantly, and I sighed.

“Yeah, I’ll ask them.”

I was pretty sure Dan would be up for a party, and Cam too. Ethan probably wouldn’t mind either. I didn’t really know about Chris or Kat, but it could work out. Of course, thinking of going to a party with them made me remember all about the last one we’d been to together. Why must things always go back to that stupid kiss?

I shook myself out of it and told the guys I was going to take a time out.

“Me too,” Lee said and we made our way to the bunks together.

When I woke up a few hours later, only the two Matts were in the bus. Apparently Shona, Lee and Jordan had gone out for a drink before we moved on to the next destination. Yawning, I went to sit next to the guys and started up a conversation about our next album, which we were working on in the studio back home. We’d had to take a break because of Warped, but we still used a lot of our time talking about the different songs and ideas we had in mind. After a while, Shona and the guys returned and we ate dinner (again) as the buses left the parking one by one. Soon we were back on the road. Since we were playing again tomorrow morning, we only drank a few beers and played a few video games before going to bed, figuring it was best we got some rest.