19

ARIA JOGS AFTER AN determined Lori, trying to stop her before she reaches Daryl

ARIA JOGS AFTER AN determined Lori, trying to stop her before she reaches Daryl. "Lori." She calls, reaching out to grab her arm but fails. A groan comes from the female's mouth as she starts speaking to Daryl. Aria knows for sure Daryl isn't in the mood for anything and she just doesn't want him to lash out on the pregnant woman. As Lori crouches down next to Daryl, Aria awkwardly stands a few feet away, unable to do anything.

"Your bitch went window-shopping. You want him, go fetch him yourself." And the start of the lash out begins now. Crossing her arms over the black tank top, Aria licks her lips, watching them intently. "What's the matter with you? Why would you be so selfish." Aria sighs, drooping her head down to the ground. Wrong thing to say, Lori. Does anyone know how Daryl is?

"Selfish? Listen to me, olive oil. I was out there looking for that little girl every single day. I took a bullet and an arrow in the process. Don't you tell me about me getting my hands dirty." Daryl exclaims, a vein popping out of his neck. Aria blows out a breath, fiddling with her thumbs. "You want those two idiots? Have a nice ride? I'm done looking for people." Daryl sits back against the stones, getting back to carving with his knife. Lori brushes past Aria, her brown hair blowing in the wind.

Why doesn't anyone listen to her when she tries to give them advice? They think just because she's quiet, she doesn't know anything. Aria walks forward, plopping down on the grass in front of Daryl. Tapping her nails against top of his boots, she hums a small tune to herself, unknowingly calming Daryl.

After a few minutes of that, she finally looks up, meeting his eyes. "Are you okay?" She quietly asks, concern dancing in her blue orbs. Daryl blankly stares at her, his emotions hidden. Aria sighs, setting her hand on his knee, his body tensing under her touch. "You're mad and I understand that. If you need to let your anger, you can yell at me, I can handle it. It not good to keep your anger to yourself—trust me. If you want to be alone, I also understand." She whispers, sliding her hand off his knee. Silence continues and she nods, standing to her feet.

Daryl watches as she walks away, his jaw clenched so he can prevent himself from calling her back. She's the one person in this camp that knows how it feels to feel alone and he knows that. She gives him his space when he wants it, but he doesn't want space right now. He wants her to stay and just let them sit in silence, keeping each other company.

"Aria!" He calls, mentally cursing himself for calling her back. The heart wants what it wants, he guesses. Merle would be picking on him so much right now, it wouldn't even be funny.

Aria turns around, her head cocked to the side. Just one look at his face and she nods, walking back to her place and sitting down, comfortable silence consuming the two.

♚ ♛

"You gonna go eat?" Daryl asks Aria, speaking the first word between the two. Aria shakes her head, continuing to draw random things into the ground. "I'm not hungry." She lies, staring down at the dirt. Truth is, she's starving but she's so comfortable right now, she doesn't want to leave the spot she's in. This is the most she's been comfortable mentally since Amy had died and she's enjoying it for the time being. Because she knows come tomorrow, there will be more hell.

Aria looks at the makeshift arrows, her eyebrows furrowing. "Can I try?" She asks, her voice low like a child talking to their mom after they gotten in trouble. Daryl hands her uncarved stick before going back to his. Aria pulls her knife out, pressing it against the stick. Once the end of the stick breaks off, she frowns, looking up at Daryl with soft blue eyes. "I don't think I am doing it right." She utters, motioning towards the broke off piece of the stick. Daryl chuckles lightly, shaking his head.

"You don't put all your pressure on the knife, you glide it across the stick, shavin' off some." Aria takes in the advice, nodding. Putting the knife back on the stick, she glides it down, some shavings coming off. She perks up, her eyes lighting up like a child on Christmas day. "I did it." She says, excitedly, continuing to shave off some of the bark.

Daryl stares down at her, his eyes holding amusement. He's not quite sure what he's feeling right now because it's foreign to him, but she's making butterflies appear in his stomach.

Okay so before some people call me out. I know this is out of character for Daryl but this is fan fiction and it's really hard to write Daryl falling in love with someone, so cut me some slack please, haha.