47

HER ARMS UNWRAP themself from her legs and she steps out of the truck, her hands trembling

HER ARMS UNWRAP themself from her legs and she steps out of the truck, her hands trembling. With bloodshot and teary eyes, she wipes at her nose, her body leaning against the cold exterior of the truck. She's always hated death; always. Even now, when it's a daily part of her life, she still hasn't gotten used to it. It's worse now because you know the death they go through is a horrible one. No matter how you die, it's not going to be peaceful because unless you shoot yourself in the brain, you're coming back as one of those monsters.

"I—I'm gonna go lay down." Aria stutters, her thumb jabbing back towards the cell block. Rick raises his head, his eyes meeting hers. "We're about to bury her." Aria nods, her lip quivering slightly. "Just, come and get me, please." She whispers and Rick nods his head slowly, the female walking away from the group of people. Crossing her arms over her chest, she navigates her way through the sea of new people, uttering an apology each time she bumps into someone.

Rushing up the metal stairs, Aria darts into her cell, pulling the barred door close behind her. Plopping down on the mattress, Aria runs her tongue over her chapped lips, her blue eyes beginning to sting. Her fingers pull at the loose threads in her jeans and her vision becomes blurred as memories flash through her mind. The creaky door pushes open and Aria raises her head, blinking the tears back. "They're ready." Nodding, she stands to her feet, her body feeling weak from the lack of sleep.

"You alright?" Daryl asks her as she begins to walk forward and she stops abruptly. Does she lie and tell him she's just fine or does she spill out everything? "I'm fine." And the lie blurts out.

♚ ♛
(TRIGGER WARNING; MENTIONS OF RAPE)

Aria sits back against the wall, her mind drifting in and out of consciousness. They had buried Andrea and now it's completely dark outside, leaving Aria to her thoughts. Her thoughts are deafening and she hates them because they bring back old memories.

A gentle tap on the wall beside her cell block causes her to look up, her eyes staring at the shadowy figure in the doorway. "Come on." She whispers, instantly recognizing the body. Daryl sits down by her and she scoots forward, her bare feet hitting the cold ground. "I'm sorry about Merle." Aria speaks up after a few silent moments and she hesitates before grabbing his hand in hers, their fingers interlocking.

"I want the Governor dead." He admits and Aria nods, agreeing with him. "The other day—I snuck out of the prison because I needed to be alone. I found a house and I was looking through it.. this — this guy appeared out of nowhere and he tried to rape me, Daryl. He was one of the Governor's guys." Her eyes well up with fresh tears and her voice becomes shaky. First a guy tried to rape her and then her sister died, this world hates her. She had to tell someone and she trusts Daryl with everything, this isn't different.

"What'd you do?" Daryl utters, anger at the guy boiling up in him. He said he would protect her and he failed. This is the first time he's ever felt anything for a woman and he's failing to protect her, he hates that. "I had to kill him." Her voice trembles and she lays her head on Daryl's shoulder, tears silently falling down her pale face. "Can you stay?" She whispers, needing him. She doesn't want him to leave and him not come back, she wouldn't be able to bare that.

The couple lay back in the bed, Daryl's arm wrapped securely around Aria's waist as if she'd disappear from his arms.