78

THE GROUP CLASP on to each other as they each gaze around at the corpses stumbling around them, the walkers oblivious

THE GROUP CLASP on to each other as they each gaze around at the corpses stumbling around them, the walkers oblivious. As a walker walks past Aria, it stops abruptly, sticking its nose up in the air as the corpse turns his head before stumbling away. Letting out a small breath of relief, the group glances at each other before quietly walking down the white stairs, their hearts racing quickly.

Aria sucks in a shaky breath before squeezing Michonne's hand tighter, her body trembling slightly. She can feel the walkers bumping into her shoulder as they group weaves through the crowd and she knows in a heartbeat, one of them could take a chunk out of her arm if they were smart enough. We're going to be okay. Aria repeats inside her mind, swallowing harshly, despite the lack of saliva in her mouth. The group halt to a stop and Aria shuffles a little closer to Michonne. If Aria had to choose anyone to save her life out of this group it'd be Michonne, that's her best friend, her soul sister. Aria would throw a riot if anything happened to her.

"Alright new plan." Rick breathes out, glancing around nervously, beads of sweat falling down his face. Shifting all her weight onto one leg, Aria clutches the machete in her hand tightly. "Flares from a few guns aren't enough. Too many walkers to spread out. We're not going to the armory. We need our vehicles back at the quarry. We need to round 'em up. We leave, we come back." Michonne and Aria look around, both females on high alert.

"Mi-Mi.." Michonne turns, sending a glare down at Aria, a scowl forming on her face at the horrendous nickname. "I never thanked you for being there for me through everything." Aria whispers, lowering her eyes towards the ground beneath her. A corner of Michonne's lip twitches as she prevents herself from smiling. After Andrea had died, Michonne found herself being extra protective of Aria she promised Andrea she would do that and she doesn't want to break that promise.

Aria turns her head, looking behind her to witness Gabriel taking Judith from Carl's arms. As Jessie and Sam begin talking, Aria zones out, her teeth biting down on the tip of her tongue. Right now she just wants to get her family out of here, she doesn't care if she makes it or not, as long as the others are out, she's fine. Michonne nudges Aria's body and she lets go of the machete in her hand, grabbing ahold of Michonne's hand as the group begins weaving their way through the sea of walkers, Aria protecting the back of the line.

♚ ♛

It's dark now and the group still is trying to manage their way through the walkers. Aria is drained, her body feels like it's about to just fall to the ground in exhaustion. She hasn't been able to sleep well because of James, but he's gone now. Now the old nightmares are going to be replaced with new ones, she won't ever be able to get rid of them, she knows it. The group halts to a stop and Aria runs into Michonne's back, her face scrunching up in disgust as some walker blood smears across her face.

"Sam sam? Come on, you can do it." This is why Aria is hesitant to have kids in this world. They can either grow up fearless and strong like Carl or scared and weak like Sam. She doesn't want her kid to be like Sam because her kid wouldn't be able to make it in this world. "Sam? hey, you can do this." Ron assures the younger boy and Aria gazes around, her heart pumping in her ears. If this child doesn't come on, the walkers are going to get them. Now, don't get her wrong, she'd be scared too if she was in his shoes, but he needs to start moving his ass or they're all dead meat.

Sam begins whimpering and Aria clutches the machete tighter in her hand, her teeth grinding together. Before she can move, two walkers grab ahold of Sam, taking a bite out of his forehead and neck. Aria raises her arm and just as she begins to swing, a hand grips hers and she swivels her head around, watching as a walker pulls her arm closer to its mouth. Growling lowly, she shoves her machete upward and the blade plunges through the walker's skull, puncturing its brain.

Growls and snarls fill the air along with a scream of agony and Aria turns her head, watching as Jessie falls down, a few walkers on top of her. Well shit. Leaping forward, Aria begins hacking away at Jessie's arm as Carl struggles to get himself out of her death grip. Once she does, Carl falls to the ground and Aria moves away from the walkers, her machete held out protectively in front of her. A gun clicks and Aria swivels her head around, catching sight of Ron holding a gun out, pointing it at Carl.

"You—you." He utters, his eyes narrowing. Before Ron can pull the trigger, a blade slices through his chest, a lone gunshot going off. Aria watches in shock as she watches him fall to the ground, Michonne standing above him. Aria presses her lips in a thin line, her eyebrows flying up in shock. This plan just went to waste and it killed three people. "Dad?" Aria's eyes catch sight of Carl as he stands there, blood dripping down his face. Their group is just full of bad luck.