55

WATCHING CAROL CRACK the pecans, Aria pulls her feet up onto the recliner, sinking farther into the cushions

WATCHING CAROL CRACK the pecans, Aria pulls her feet up onto the recliner, sinking farther into the cushions. Carol had demanded the female to relax because 'she was getting sick.' But Aria didn't feel sick; she just felt exhausted and drained.

"Well, we got plenty of water." Tyreese informs the crew, walking into the living room. "Now all we got to do is bag one of them deer and we're all set." Aria subtly nods, her head held up by her hand. Tyreese stands in front of Aria, his back facing her. "What's wrong?" Mika asks, looking up from the doll she had found. Tyreese shrugs gently, his hands wiping on his jeans. "I'm not used to this. We're in a living room, in a house." He points out and Aria shakes her head, a small smile on her face. "Yeah — so relax."

Before Aria knows it, Tyreese's body is sitting down on her and she groans, his body weight sinking into her. "Fuck — Tyreese! I am not a chair." Aria scowls, pushing the bigger man off of her. Standing to her feet, she walks over to the couch and plops down, her arms crossing over chest. After a few silent moments, Aria sighs lowly. "Mika, come here. I want to braid your hair." She speaks up, motioning for the young female to come sit by her.

Grabbing the blonde locks in her hand, Aria begins to french braid Mika's hair, also humming a soft tune. "Did you have a sister?" Mika asks and Aria nods, a smile making its way on her way. "Yeah. I had two." Aria softly replies, her eyes settled on her hands as she works her magic. "Do you miss them?"

"I miss them more than anything."

♚ ♛
(2 days later)

The knife scraps against the cutting board as Aria cuts the peaches into slices before pouring them into a bowl. Humming a small song, Aria slides the bowl to the side before peering out of the window, her eyebrows furrowing. "No — no." Aria whispers, grabbing her pistol off of the counter and rushing out of the kitchen, running out of the house. Swooping in, Aria swiftly picks Judith up and away from Lizzie and the knife, her eyes wide in fear.

Her eyes dart between Lizzie's bloody knife and Mika's dead body and she swallows the lump in her throat. "Aria! I was just about to do Judith." Clutching the baby tighter in her arms, Aria takes a step back as Lizzie advances. "Lizzie — no!" Carol steps in, her hands held out in surrender. Judith begins to cry and Aria gently rub the baby's back, her eyes not leaving the knife in Lizzie's hand. "Don't worry. She'll come back. I didn't hurt her brain." Aria shushes the crying baby in her arms, bouncing Judith in her arms. She's trying to distract herself from the fact that Lizzie just stabbed Mika to death.

After a few moments of patronizing silence, Carol steps forward to grab the knife out of Lizzie's hand. In fear, Lizzie drops the knife and pulls her gun out, pointing it at the chest of Carol. Oh hell no. Aria clenches her jaw, her eyes narrowing slightly. She can't do anything with a baby in her arms. "No — no, no! We have to wait. I need to show you. You'll see. You'll finally get it. We have to wait." The three adults look at each other, shock and worry evident in their eyes. "Lizzie, put the gun down." Tyreese says, his body frozen in place.

"I just want us to wait." Lizzie pleads, the gun still pointed at Carol. Carol nods slowly, her eyes fixated on the little girl. "We can wait — we can wait. You just give me the gun. We can wait, I swear." Carol states, tears welling up in her blue eyes. Sticking her hand out, Carol holds her palm up towards the sky, waiting for Lizzie to hand her the black gun. With trembling hands, Lizzie hands over the gun. "You and Tyreese should take Judith back. It's not safe for her." Aria hands Judith over towards Tyreese, the warmth of the baby leaving her arms. "But Judith can change too. I was just about to — " Carols shakes her head, cutting the pre-teen off. "She can't even walk yet." Lizzie looks away from the small baby, her eyes meet Carol's. "Yeah, you're right."

"So, you two take Judith inside. And we will just tie Mika up. You know, just so she won't go anywhere." Carol concludes, her voice shaking. Aria bites her lip, her eyes trailing over to the body of Mika. The poor girl didn't deserve to die, she was learning. It makes Aria sick to the stomach when she thinks about it. Tyreese and Lizzie begin to walk away and Aria swallows back a lump building in her throat. Carol throws down the two guns she is holding and leans on her legs, tears falling down her face. "It's okay." She whispers, grabbing ahold of Carol's body and pulling the older female towards her, wrapping her in a hug.

After hugging Carol, Aria walks forward, crouching down next to Mika. Brushing some of the young female's hair out of her face, Aria places a gentle kiss on her forehead before standing to her feet, backing away from the body. The little girl had a life to live and it was all taken away.