Chapter 15

A few days later

Alex's POV 

For the past few nights I haven't been able to sleep, well, less then usual. I've been lying awake just thinking. Lafayette thinks I like John, but I don't know what to think about him. All I have to do is think about him and it makes me happy, but I don't know is I like him. I get sort of nervous around him, I don't know why, but I still haven't talked to him since I left him at Dream and Bean. I hope he doesn't hate me for that.

I glance over at Maria, she's sleeping peacefully. It seems like I'm the only person awake. I sigh decide to go for a walk to clear my mind. I pull on a sweatshirt, grab my phone and exit the dorm building. 

The sky is clear and there are a few stars out. The moon is shining brightly, lighting the way. I look around at the quiet campus and breath in the peaceful night air. I slowly walk into the town and to a small park. I decide to sit on a bench and enjoy the silence. 

Minutes pass and nothing changes, it is quiet, it is calm. 

"Alex?" I jump at the sudden noise and turn towards the source. 

"J-John?" I say in disbelief as I stare at the brown haired boy in front of me.

"Hey," He sits down next to me.  "Is something keeping you up too?"

"U-uh, yeah," I say slightly surprised that I stuttered, I never do that. "Something like that."

"Hm, so how have you been? I haven't seen you in a few days." 

"Uh, I've been ok, but I'm really sorry that I ditched you at Dream and Bean the other day, a lot was going on and-"

"Hey it's ok, Thomas told me that something came up and you had to go." 

"Oh," I exhale.

"Were you two a thing?" He asks.

"What? No, I- He just, pissed me off, that's all." 

Oh ok, the way he was acting made it seem like you guys broke up."

"It was more like a rejection." I say. 

"Oh that sucks, do you want to talk about it?"

"He tried to kiss me and I pushed him away, I don't like him like that." 

"Ooh, so I'm guessing that you left because he showed up and you didn't want to talk to him." 

"Yeah, I'm sorry I ignored you texts as well."

"It's ok, you had a good reason" 

We sit in silence for a few minutes. 

"So, are you gay?" John asks, seeming slightly more timid. 

"I'm Bi, but I think I lean more towards guys." I say. His face seems to light up a bit.

"Oh cool, I'm gay." A huge wave of pure happiness washed over me, I don't know why, but I feel so relived after hearing that. 

A few more minutes pass in silence. 

"Hey, can I tell you something?" I asks.

"Yeah, what is it?" He looks up at me. 

"I-" I open my mouth to try and tell him that he's the reason why I haven't been sleeping, why I've been so happy, but the words seem to get caught in my throat. 

"What is it?"

"Haveyouheardofelementals" I blurt out.

"Uh, what was that?" 

"Have you heard of elementals?" I repeat slower. He seems shocked, but hesitantly nods his head.

"Y-yeah, I-, they were a race of people who could control the elements, but aren't they extinct now?"

"No, I'm one of them." I say, lifting up a small group of leaves to show him. His eyes widen in surprise. 

"Can I tell you something that I've never told anybody else before?" I look at him and he's looking down nervously fidgeting with the hem of his adorably oversized sweatshirt. 

"Yeah, of course." He takes a deep breath.

"I- I'm also one, I'm also an elemental."  I knew it. "P-please don't tell anyone!" He looks up at me, his eyes swimming with tears. 

"John, what's wrong? No ones going to care, but I won't tell anyone if it means that much to you." 

"I just, no one can know, because my dad would find out." He says, his voice quiet. I wrap my arms around him and hug him tightly. 

"I won't tell anyone, I promise."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."