Chapter 1

''Haley! Wake up!! We're going to be late for school!!'', my little sister, Emily yells. ''Ugh.. I'm up, I'm up'', I groan. I rolled out of bed and headed to the bathroom. ''Come on, come on! Hurry up!'', she demands. I rolled my eyes and slammed the bathroom door.

I quickly started getting ready. I put on my makeup and ended up getting mascara on my nose. ''Are you kidding me??'', I frowned at my mistake. After cleaning that up, I fixed my hair and changed into some jeans and my favorite hoodie.

''OK, I'm ready, let's go'', I say, entering the living room. I grabbed my backpack off the couch and followed Emily out the door. I quickly got in the driver's seat and Emily jumped in the passenger seat. ''What are you doing?'', I ask. ''What do you mean?'', she says. ''You're only 8, you can't be sitting there. You aren't old enough.'' I was always pretty protective of her. After all, she is my little sister, and growing up without our parents, I had to be the one to take care of her. Our parents got into drugs, and we've never seen them since. I guess they're probably high somewhere, or maybe dead.. I know I sound a bit harsh, but they never provided for us anyway. Even if they do get sober and come back to us, I don't think I'll ever forgive them. Emily on the other hand would. She has a lot of compassion for people, even if they've done her wrong. I really don't understand how she could be that way, but I admire it.

''Come on. I want to sit in the front! Just for today... Please?'', Emily says with her light blue eyes sparkling. If there was one thing her and I have in common, it would be our eyes. ''Fine. But promise you don't brag to your friends about it. I'll get in trouble'', I say. ''How??'' ''Well, your friends will tell their parents, and I'll get in trouble. So let this be our secret.'' I smiled and turned the key, pulled out of the driveway, and drove to school.

''Bye Haley!'', Emily says, grabbing her stuff and getting out of the car. ''Bye!'', I say. Then, I left her school and continued driving to mine.

When I got there, I pulled into my usual parking space and got out. ''Haley! Where have you been? I've been waiting on you!'', My friend, Jamie, says, running up to me. ''I was running late this morning. If it weren't for Emily, I wouldn't have got up'', I say. ''Well, I was hoping you would've gotten here a little earlier. I need your help to get Levi's attention!'', she says, putting her jet black hair into a pony tail. She was completely obsessed with this guy, Levi. She's always had a thing for sporty guys, and ofcourse, he's a linebacker on the football team.

''Please, please help me! I don't know what to talk to him about!'', she begged. ''Well... why not football.. You both like that stuff, right?'' ''Are you kidding? I know nothing about football! You're the one who likes sports.'' She was completely right. I'm not the kind of girl who keeps her face stuck in a magazine all the time. Sure, I have my girly moments, but I wouldn't consider myself very peppy.

''Just be yourself,'' I advise. ''But what if he thinks I'm weird'', she mumbled. ''He won't think that! What person would think that? You're amazing, and you know it.'' ''Well, when you put it like that...'', she trailed off. Then, the bell rang to go to class. ''We can talk about this later. I gotta get to class. I'll see you later!'', I say. We both said our goodbyes and went our seperate ways.

When I got to class, I sat down in my normal seat in the back. Then, my other best friend, Aiden, walked in the room. We've been friends since we were babies and we've always been really close. Whenever my parents left, his family took Emily and I in. Since our houses are about 5 minutes away, his parents let Emily and I stay in our home while they provided. Now that I'm 17 and have a job, I'm doing most of the providing, but I'll always be grateful to them. 

''Hey'', Aiden says, putting his stuff down at the seat in front of me. ''Hey'' I say, brushing the strands of hair out of my face. Then, all of his other guy friends came over and started talking to him. Even though we were pretty close, whenever his friends came over, he'd always talk to them. It never really bothered me that much because we were just friends, nothing more. 

''Okay class, pull out your textbooks and do pages 103 to 127,'' Ms. O'Brian yelled. She was probably the craziest teacher ever, and not in a good way. She would always have us do the most work, with barely any teaching. It's suprising that I'm passing this class. Adding onto her ridiculous teaching skills was her personality. She's probably one of the most sarcastic women I've ever talked to in my life. She's also pretty moody, which isn't suprising considering she's about 80 years old. Her appearance isn't that great either. Her poofed up gray hair is always sitting on top of her head in a careless bun, her eye shadow is so green you'd think she rubbed plants on her eyes, and she wears this perfume that makes anyone but her gag everytime you get a whiff of it. Yes, it's that awful. Trust me, I know. It smells something like lavender mixed with feet.

''Can you believe we have this much work?'', Aiden says, looking over his shoulder at me. ''I know, it's crazy'', I rolled my eyes. ''Well, that's Ms. O'Brian for ya'', one of his friends piped in. ''STOP TALKING AND DO YOUR WORK!'', Ms. O'Brian yelled maniacally. Then, Aiden turned back around and started on his work.

When school was finally over, I gathered up my books and carried them to my locker. As I began packing up my stuff, Aiden came over and rested his arm on the locker door. ''So are you coming to my football game tonight?'', Aiden asks. ''I don't know.. I don't'', I started. Then he cut me off by pulling out a few tickets from his pocket. ''Have any tickets...'', I finished and took them out of his hand. I examined them slowly. ''Where did you get these?'', I ask. ''Well, being the quarterback and all, I get some pretty good benefits'', he laughs. I smiled, ''Well thanks. I'll see if Em wants to go or not, and I'll let you know.'' ''Okay, cool. I'll see you later, bye.'' ''Bye.''