Chapter 17

Jamie's P.O.V

"Maybe you should take a pregnancy test just in case", Haley says after I tell her about what happened with Levi and I. "Haley, there's no way I'm pregnant! We used protection", I said. "You sure?" I thought a moment, trying to go back in time. "Yes.. I'm sure", I replied confidently. "Okay. If you turn out pregnant, it's on you", she says, lifting her coffee mug to her mouth. I nodded, rolling my eyes.

As the days passed on, I started getting worried that I might be late on my period. So, I decided to travel to university and talk with Levi, but first, I'm going to get Haley. I put my keys in the ignition and dialed Haley's number. It rang a few times, then she answered.

''Hello?'', she says. ''Hey. Pack up your stuff. We're going on a trip'', I declared. ''Where?'', she asked. ''University.. I need to talk to Levi about.. things.'' ''Are you late?'' I bit my lip, ''We'll talk later.. Just be ready when I get there, bye.'' I hung up the phone and shoved it back into my purse

Haley's P.O.V

As I sat my phone down, I leaned against the kitchen counter for support. Could my best friend really be pregnant? ''Hey, who just called?'', Adam says as he entered the room, drying his dark wet hair with a towel. ''Jamie.. She wants me to go on a trip with her this weekend'', I replied. ''Oh.. Okay. Are you going to go?'', he asks. I nodded, ''Yeah. She needs my support right now.'' He nods, ''Okay. Well let's go get your stuff packed before she gets here'', he says, and I followed him up to my room.

"Should I even ask why she's going?", Adam says, folding some of my t-shirts. "She might be pregnant..", I answered. "Pregnant? Why does she think that?" I grabbed some jeans and folded them, "She says that she's almost late." He nods, still in shock, "Wow. That's crazy. Who's the dad.. I mean, if she's even pregnant.." "Her boyfriend", I replied, "Do you think he'll be okay with it?" Adam shrugged, "I don't know. People react to things differently." I sighed, "Yeah.. I think he will be okay with being a dad. I mean, why wouldn't he be?" Before Adam could answer, there was a knock at the front door, and I zipped up my suitcase and we went down to get it.

"Hey", Adam smiled at Jamie. She smiled back, "Ready to go Haley?" "Yeah.. just let me get one more thing", I say. "Okay.. I'll be in the car. Nice to see ya Adam", Jamie said, grabbing my bag and walking out the door. I closed it behind her so Adam and I could have a private goodbye.

"Come home safe, okay?", Adam says, rubbing up and down my arms. I smiled, "I'll be fine.. And I'll call you when we get there." He nods, "Okay." Then, I stood up on my tip toes and kissed him deeply. When I pulled back, he whispered, "I love you, Haley.." I stood quiet a moment, surprised by his words. "I.. I love you, too.." Then, I walked out the door and left with Jamie.

Jamie's P.O.V

A few hours later, we arrived at University, finally. I sighed in exhaustion, and turned off the car. As I sat there in silence, I couldn't help wondering how Levi would react to all of this. I should be having my period right now, but that's obviously not going as planned. I'm sure we used protection, but a part of me wonders if that was just a mistake, that we didn't use any. What would life be like with a child? Am I ready for all of that responsibility?

"Ready?", Haley asks, breaking my concentration. I nodded nervously, and exited the car. Her and I walked side by side into the dormitory, and went to room 367, Levi's room. I quickly knocked and put my hands back in my coat pockets.

As the door swung open, the person standing there was Levi. "Hey! What are you guys doing here?", he says, inviting us inside. "Jamie needs to talk to you about some stuff.. So, I'll just go look around", Haley says, walking out of the room. "Ok. What do we need to talk about?", he asks me. I hesitated, "I'm um.. I'm late." It took him a moment to realize what I'd just said, but once he did understand, he went hysterical. "You're pregnant?! Oh God.. This can't be right.. I can't be a dad. I don't want to be a dad!", he says frantically. I felt tears filling my eyes as he said more. "You... You don't want this baby?", I whispered. "No! I have my whole life ahead of me! I can't be tied down like this! For all I know, that baby might not even be mine!" I raised my hand and slapped him across the face. "How dare you", I snarled, as he rubbed the side of his cheek. "You know what? Fine. You don't want this baby, fine. Were done, and you can forget ever getting me back." I stormed out the door, tears falling down my cheeks rapidly. Then, Haley joined me and put me in her arms comfortingly.

Haley's P.O.V

When we got back home, I had finally convinced her in taking a pregnancy test just in case we were wrong. "It's positive", she muttered. I took the test out of her hands and saw the two parallel lines. She was pregnant.. "Well, everything's gonna be alright. We are going to make it through this, okay?", I said, hugging her tightly. After a while longer, she drove me back to my place because she said she needed time for herself. It was understandable, considering everything that happened today..