Chapter 19

As we stepped into the banquet hall, we were both amazed by its decor. Big, crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling, with matching table centerpieces of candles. I kept looking around, noticing how many people were actual here. I held onto Adam's lower bicep as he held his arm across his chest. ''Jamie said there was only going to be a few people'', I said to Adam quietly. He laughed lightly, ''I know. It seems she might've exaggerated a bit.'' I nodded, ''Well. Let's go find her anyway.''

We walked confidently past the groups of dressed up people in search of Jamie. When we'd finally found her, we saw that she was talking to a tall brunette guy. I could see her blushing as she smiled at whatever he'd said. ''I'll go get us some drinks'', Adam said, and I nodded, releasing his muscular arm from my grip. Moments later, Jamie walked up and hugged me.

''So.. Who was that handsome stranger you were talking to?'', I asked curiously. ''His name's Brett, and no, there's nothing going on. I haven't even had time to worry about dating'', Jamie said. I nodded, ''Well.. How are you holding up?'' ''Besides crying every hour, I'm doing pretty good I guess.'' I gave her another comforting hug, trying to let her know that things would work out. ''What's this dinner thing for anyway?'', I asked, trying to change the subject. ''It's my aunt's engagement party'', she replied, ''But I can't understand why anyone would want to marry someone as crazy as her.'' I let out a laugh, ''Well, they say love makes you do crazy things.'' ''Is that true.. for you and Adam?'', she asked. I looked over at him, grabbing 2 glasses of champagne and replied, ''Well, yeah.. We wouldn't be where we are without doing crazy things.'' She smiled and nodded, ''That gives me hope that maybe I'll find somebody that will do crazy things for me, too.'' ''Well, I think there's someone for everybody, and that includes you.''

Then, Adam walked up and handed me a glass of champagne. ''Alright, well.. Follow me to our table'', Jamie said, and we nodded. She started walking and we followed. She lead us to a table seated for 6 near the back. As we sat down, the other guests, one of which included Brett, came and sat down.

As I sipped on my champagne, the others at the table were busy chatting and carrying on conversation. "So, what did she say about him?", Adam asked as he leaned towards me. "Just a friend..", I shrugged. "Oh.. How's she doing.. with the whole Levi thing." "She says she's doing okay.. kinda", I replied. He nodded, "Well. I have no idea what any of this on the menu is.. I guess you can say it's been a while since I've had such fancy food." I smiled, "I don't know what any of it is either, so you aren't alone."

After we'd been told what things on the menu were, we ordered and ate our food. Then, someone tapped a microphone, forcing everyone's attention over there. It was Jamie's aunt's fiancé and he had prepared a speech just for her. Then, he finished and slow music came through speakers, followed by couples getting out of their seats and walking to the dance floor. I looked to Adam, and he asked, "Would you like to dance?" I nodded, feeling butterflies fluttering in my stomach, along with my burning cheeks. He took my hand into his and lead me out to the balcony of the banquet room.

"Why here?", I asked as he shut the glass door behind him, sending the cascade of white, silky curtains flowing over it. "I thought it'd be nice to get away from the crowd", he smiled, putting his left hand on my waist, then grasping my hand into his. My free hand lightly rested on his shoulder, and I stared up into his brown eyes. Following his lead, we started swaying back and forth, left to right. Then, I let him pull me in closer, until my head was against his shoulder and our bodies were gently pressed together. I breathed in slowly, smelling his beautiful, mesmerizing scent of cologne.

''This reminds me of prom'', I said quietly. ''Yeah.. Except I was pretty wasted then'', he laughed. I smiled, ''I was, too.. I can't believe I let you talk me into doing that.'' ''Well, I can be pretty convincing.'' I could tell he was smirking, and I rolled my eyes, still following his lead as we danced. ''God, we were so crazy, and somehow you had managed to take care of Emily, despite the parties and everything else'', he said. ''Stop being so sweet'', I said, staring up into his eyes. He smiled down at me, ''Sorry.'' ''Who am I kidding, you're sweet all the time, which makes me want to kiss you'', I frowned. ''That sounds pretty good right now'', he chuckled. I laughed, and slowly started leaning up to him. He responded by putting his lips on mine. 

Before letting things get heated, I slowly pulled back and looked down. ''We should go back inside'', I said. He nodded and opened the door. As we stepped back inside, we noticed that the room was almost completely empty. I walked over to Jamie, who was sitting at our table, scrolling on her phone. ''You okay?'', I asked her. She looked up, ''Well finally! I thought you guys might've left.'' ''We had just stepped outside for some fresh air'', Adam said, shoving his hands in his pockets. She nodded, ''Alright, well the party's pretty much over, so I'm going to get going.. I'm pretty worn out because of everything''', Jamie says. I nodded, ''Okay. I'll call you tomorrow.'' As she stood up from her seat, I gave her a hug and watched her exit the room.

Jamie's P.O.V

As I stepped out of the shower and wrapped my towel around me, I started feeling a bit sick to my stomach. No, no, no.. I thought and swallowed down some throw up. This can't be happening.. Not now.. I braced myself on the counter and breathed in slowly. Before I knew it, I was on the ground, throwing up into the toilet. ''Ugh..'', I groaned, whiping the spit off of the corners of my mouth. I felt like calling Haley, but I decided not to. It was too late at night, and I knew her and Adam were probably busy doing whatever they do. When I had finally recovered fully, I lifted myself off the ground and changed into my pajamas quickly. Then, I went into my room. Flipping off the light, I rolled into bed and fell asleep, suddenly feeling more alone than ever.

Levi's P.O.V

Maybe being a dad wouldn't be so bad.. Maybe things would actually work out, and I could persue my career with football. Jamie was probably the best thing that had ever happened to me, and now, I was sad and mad all at the same time. Aiden and I haven't even been talking lately.. It's like everything's spiraling out of control, with nothing to hold on to. Without Jamie, there's nothing to keep me grounded. 

As I laid in bed, I rolled over on my side and stretched my arm out, feeling how cold the bed was beside me. It was an unfamiliar feeling, since Jamie and I were together almost every night. I knew what I needed to do.. I need to swallow my pride and get her back.