Chapter 10

He hung up the phone slowly and stayed silent. "Well? What did he say?" "You might want to sit down..", he began, and I did. "Jamie and Levi got in a wreck.." "WHAT?!" "They're at the hospital.. Levi's okay, but nobody's saying anything about Jamie", he finished. "We have to go.. right now!", I say, grabbing his car keys. "What about Emily?", he says, following me out the door. "I'll call her in a minute.. Just get me to the hospital."

About 10 minutes later, we finally arrived. As soon as he parked, I jumped out of the car and ran to the door, with him close behind. "Aiden! Thank God you're here", Levi says, walking up to us. He had cuts and bruises on his face, along with some bandages here and there.

"Where's Jamie?", I say. "Intensive Care..",Levi said slowly. I fought back the tears and made my way through the waiting room and to the Intensive Care Center.

"Miss.. you can't be back here!", a nurse says, grabbing my arm. I pushed her away from me and ran down the corridor, looking in every room desperately. Finally, I saw her name on the top of a door, so I quickly opened the door and went inside.

I burst into tears as I saw her. She was laying there hooked up to too many machines to count, she had a breathing tube in her mouth, and she had cuts and bruises all over her. She didn't look like the beautiful, vibrant Jamie I knew.

I walked over to her bed and knelt beside it. I grabbed her hand and kissed it. "Please.. please be okay", I whispered through tears. After another 20 minutes there, my sadness turned into rage. I ran out of Intensive Care and to the waiting room, where I found Aiden and Levi talking.

I went up to Levi and slapped him hard. He fell back a bit, rubbing the side of his face. "It's your fault! She's hurt because of YOU!" I ran out of the hospital, tears flowing like a waterfall down my cheeks. I stopped in the middle of the parking lot, fell to the ground, and sobbed uncontrollably.

Then, I felt warm, muscular arms go around me and I instantly knew it was Aiden. I fell onto him and cried into his jacket. "Don't cry... she's going to be okay Haley", he says. I shook my head, "You don't know how bad it is, Aiden.. I can't barely even recognize her." He lifted my chin and wiped off my tears with his thumbs. "I can't live without her Aiden.. she's my best friend." "Stop.. Don't talk like that.. She's going to make it through this. She's a fighter, you should know that better than anyone", he says. I collapsed into his arms again, not knowing what else to do.

Aiden's P.O.V

After I finally got her to stop crying, I took her back to my house because that's where she wanted me to go. I had never seen her act like this before. The only thing I could do was try my best to calm her down. As we walked up to the front door, she broke down again. I held her tightly, whispering soothing words into her ear.

"Come on.. let's go inside", I say, as she finally stopped sobbing. She nodded and followed me. I took her up to my room, where I shut the door behind me and sat down on the bed beside her.

"I need something to sleep in", she murmured and wiped her tears. I nodded and went to my closet. I took out one of my t-shirts and handed it to her. She stood up, took off her shirt, and put on mine. Then, she removed her shorts and threw them in her pile on the floor. I kept watching as she put up her hair in a pony tail.

"Come here", she says, pulling the covers down for me. I nod and removed my shoes, then crawled into the bed with her. I stretched out my arm and let her snuggle against my side.

"Are you okay?", I ask after a few minutes of silence. "I think so..", she mumbled. "You should sleep.. You can't lay here awake all night." "Why not? We don't have school this week", she says, propping up on her elbow. "Because.. you need sleep." She looked at me, "You need sleep too." I slightly smiled, "I'll be fine." She sighed, and laid back down. She slipped her hand up the bottom of my shirt and rested it on my stomach. Then, I closed my eyes and fell asleep.