5: Conference

Press conference day came like a flash.

It was all too quick for me to be able to comprehend everything inside my head. I was wearing this lilac coral embroidered dress that reach above my knees, paired up with rose gold glitter block heel sandals.

In a few minutes, I had to be out in the sea of camera flashes and press but what am I doing feeling nervous and unsure in the restroom?

I thought I would be fine by now but my hands wouldn't stop trembling. My lips were quavering as if I was out there in the snow, naked. This awful feeling inside my chest is starting to resurface again.

No, this won't do. I promised that I would be fine. I can't chicken out now.

I'll be fine. I'll be fine.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror, a fake smile forming on my lips. All set.

Just like that, I exited the restroom and searched for the manager who was supposed to guide me the way.

I stood in front of a huge door that will lead me into the ballroom where the chaos awaits. I saw Yerin walking towards my direction, worry written all over her face.

"You sure you're gonna be okay?", she asked.

"Of course I will be. I am a strong independent woman who—"

"Alright! Alright! Good to know you're fine.", she cut me off, causing me to giggle. Behind her, I saw Taehyung in a navy blue tuxedo, his blonde hair kinda curled, looking absolutely stunning.

My heart was beating so fast. I swear. If it were the old me, I would scream on the top of my lungs at the sight. Time really changes people, huh? Including to be able to hold in my hormones.

He seemed busy fixing his watch, a small little pout visible on his lips as he was walking towards us.

"Hey.", he flashed a smile and I gulped.

"Hi-hi.", I squeaked, feeling intimidated by his angelic presence.

"You look beautiful.", he said and my cheeks flamed in pink, mind going blank at his sudden compliment. He chuckled, making me feel slightly embarrassed.

"Sorry. I sometimes forget that I can make you heart flutter.", he teased and I looked at him in disbelief.

"You're one cheeky man.", I scoffed, causing him to laugh.

"Ahem.", Yerin cleared her throat and our attentions diverted to her.

"The poor manager over there looks like he want to say something.", she said and that was when we noticed the man beside Taehyung, looking troubled.

"What is it, Mr Han?", Taehyung questioned.

"It's time for you guys to head outside.", he said and Taehyung nodded. "Got it."

The manager hurried towards the door and placed his hand on the door handle, before looking wearily at me and Taehyung.

"Ready?", he asked and I glanced at Taehyung who was also staring at me with a small smile on his face.

Seeing his warm smile, it made me less anxious. I gave him a small nod and Taehyung grinned before turning his head to the manager.

"Ready.", he announced.

With that, the door slammed open, the brightness of the room almost blinding my eyes. The room was packed with hundreds of journalists.

Taehyung walked out first while I followed him from behind, my eyes trying to adjust the brightness of the room. We walked up the stage and Taehyung took his seat first and I sat next to him.

"Good morning, everyone.", Taehyung smiled and the room was filled with all sort of camera flashes.

My chest felt stuffy but I took deep breaths, trying to conceal the feeling.

The press was hungry for our answer. Everyone kept asking so many questions at the same time, making it unable for us to understand.

"One question at a time please.", Taehyung sternly said.

On the other hand, I felt like I was hearing sirens. My fingers tightly clutched the edges of my dress, breath becoming unstable.

"What is the point of holding this press conference, V? She is a sasaeng. Having her this close to you, isn't it dangerous?", one of the journalists asked and the rest nodded in agreement at his question.

Taehyung let out a little laugh, confusing everyone in the room.

"She is not a sasaeng, everyone.", he said and the crowd gasped.

"I was on a vacation in London, which nobody knew. Not even my own entertainment. That means no one had a clue about me being in London. And Minhee happened to be flying back from London to Seoul because she finished her degree.", he explained.

"Miss Kang, I heard that you are the daughter of SAMSUNG company owner and Haesung hospital. Why would you launch a fashion brand when it's easier for you to just take over your mom's hospital?", one of the journalists asked.

I heard his question but I couldn't move.

My lips wouldn't move. My hands wouldn't move.

Breathing became difficult for me each second and it started to hurt.

"Minhee?", Taehyung softly called.

I couldn't respond. I was sitting still like a statue, staring into a blank space.

"Miss Kang?", the journalist called but still, no answer.

Taehyung's concerned eyes trailed down my hands that were gripping my dress so tight.

The crowd started chattering, everyone confused by my actions. The cameras zoomed onto my face and that one video camera from a whichever channel....

It's flash was so bright. So bright that all the dark and ugly memories that were buried somewhere deep inside my mind resurfaced.

The pain inside my chest got worse and I started to hyperventilate.

"Minhee?!"

I heard Taehyung's worried voice amidst the blaring sirens in my ears. I turned around and our gazes locked.

He was saying something but I couldn't hear him anymore. My vision started to spin and the sirens became louder.

I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't—

Everything went black.