31.

They'd been travelling even further than the elf portal, miles and miles further. None of them knew exactly where they were yet but Taehyung suddenly caught a whiff of a smell he could only recognise as a wolf, back where Jimin was taken.
The scent was fading so he was lucky to catch it, but they were following that trail that must lead them to where Jimin is.

It was a weird sensation Taehyung was feeling. All his senses were heightened. He could hear things from miles away, like other dogs barking or people talking that the other two couldn't hear. There were so many smells he never knew a human could smell that it was overwhelming at first. He wondered how the wolves put up with this but then again they'd had their whole lives to get used to it. He'd not even had a day.

His body also felt a lot stronger as he noticed when he ran he was a lot swifter than he usually was, able to jump really far and also be very agile. He'd never been able to do things like that and he honestly liked it so much.

Jungkook was extremely fast too, yet he was growing thirsty for blood. It was weird because Jungkook described it as just the feeling of growing thirsty, but a lot stronger and with the repulse of any other liquid. That night when they stopped for a break, he couldn't take it any longer and he had to go out to hunt, although he was under strict rules for it to be an animal like a deer or rabbit of some sort.

Whilst he was gone, Taehyung and Jin set up a little fire to keep them warm whilst they stopped for their break in a tree trunk, Taehyung sitting down just outside what looked like an entrance as he saw a trap door buried under the leaves.
Jin caught Taehyung staring at it as he smiled.
"That leads to where the fairies live" He spoke, Taehyung turning to him and nodding silently.

Taehyung didn't have much to say to Jin as he was slightly mad at him for letting all this happen, yet he understood why. Jimin broke the rules. But all he needed was his friend to listen.

But Taehyung grew curious over a certain topic as he sat next to Jin that night, the fire gently cracking in front of them as its light shone through the darkness that was surrounding them.

"My mom..." he began, Jin's head lifting slightly to signal he was listening.
"Was she your protector?" He asked
"Was? She still is" Jin smiled before looking up at the sky.
"I remember when I met her, she was the most stunning girl I'd ever laid eyes on and-" he thought about how to word it
"I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her" Taehyung smirked as he felt exactly the same way about Jimin. But then he remembered that Jin left her and that made him turn a little snappy. He was protective of his mother and he realised now she had two men walk out on her.

"But you didn't" Taehyung spoke up, a little solemn as Jin caught on, turning to him and seeing the small tinge of anger on Taehyung's face and he knew exactly why.

"I had to go back. I wish I could've stayed but I had rules to obey and a job to do, besides if I hadn't have left then you wouldn't have even been possible" Jin spoke and Taehyung realised that was true. Jin wasn't his father after all and if Jin had stayed then-
"And Jimin may have never had a protector"

Jin took the words right out of Taehyung's mouth, shocking him that. But it was true. If Jin stayed, Taehyung and Ailee would have never been born and none of this would have happened. But Jimin would have nobody to save him.

"D-did you know?" Taehyung spoke up as Jin turned to him
"Did you know who I was this whole time?"
Jin nodded almost immediately, surprising him once again. He knew Jin gave him a look of recognition but he brushed it off.
"When Jimin walked in with you, I saw you and I knew those eyes from miles away" Jin spoke
"You said your name and I knew it my lovely Minji's son"

"Do you miss her?" Taehyung asked, Jin nodding.
"I always have, but it's my- was my duty to be leader and I had to stick by it" Jin told Taehyung quite sadly.

He paused for a moment before frowning.
"At first, I was jealous because I thought she'd moved on but.. then I was glad because of the way Jimin looked at you" Taehyung turned to him
"He looked at you the way I looked at her and I was over the moon when I saw you look back at him in exactly the same way" Taehyung's eyes widened. Was it that obvious to other people?
"I was glad my best friend had found his protector, he'd been dreaming of having one for a long time" Jin sighed
"I wish I didn't have to split you up"

"Then don't! Change the rule!" Taehyung exasperated
"It's not that simple. I would have if I could by now" Jin told him
"There's so much to go through when changing a rule. You have to consult with every other group like the trolls and fairies and whatever, see if they agree with the rule or not" Jin explained it all
"It's so much hassle and for not much since humans aren't exactly the most welcoming"

"Well me and my mom are" Taehyung opposed
"And think about it. You're related and share the same kind heart. What about other people, do you really think they're all gonna invite elves into their homes with open arms?" Jin asked and Taehyung knew he was right
"See what I mean when there is a lot to go through and why it is such a long process?" He asked, Taehyung nodding his head in response as it did seem very long and complicated for one thing.

"I was very lucky Minji took me in and Jimin is lucky he has you" Jin spoke
"Well, it might be had" Taehyung spoke as he began to worry Jimin was dead again, despite his gut once again telling him he was alive.
"Hey" Jin put his arm around him, trying to offer him support.
"He's alive and you know he is"

Taehyung nodded as he did know he is. He had no idea why they would keep him alive but he was sure they were.

"Are you gonna see my mom again?" Taehyung asked, Jin shrugging.
"I'd love to visit her, but rekindling what we had might not be possible" Jin told him, Taehyung growing confused.
"I had my protector all my life and Jimin never had his and dreamed of one. He has one who's learnt well from his mother" Jin smiled at Taehyung
"So you're gonna give her up?" Taehyung asked with wide eyes
"I love you mom, but Jimin loves you and your love is not stuck in the past, it's right now" Jin told him
"I'd much rather he be with the love of his life happy than me right now"

Taehyung was so surprised by how much Jin would actually give up for his friend. He gave up his leadership and he's willing to give up his love for Minji if it means Jimin can be happy with his protector. Jin was a true friend after all and Taehyung had nothing but respect but also gratitude.

"How far away are we?" Jin asked as Taehyung took a few deep sniffs, smelling the air around him as he looked off into the distance.
"I want to say a mile away" Taehyung spoke as Jin nodded, picking everything up.
"Lets keep moving Okay?" He spoke, giving Taehyung a hand up as Jungkook came back, looking a lot better and refreshed as he had a little bit of redness around him mouth, Taehyung and Jin deciding to not ask about it, un sure if they wanted to know.

With that, they carried on along the scent trail, trying to find Jimin as Taehyung was more determined than ever to save him.
———————

I've just put tan on and I feel like I'm the only one who loves the smell of fake tan lol

Dance shows are fun and that is one of the reasons why. I get to smell like fake tan and live for it