Chapter 1

Courtney

"Pass it to me! I'm open!" I yelled on the top of my lungs. The puck came rushing over to me. I stopped it with me stick and started to skate across the frozen ice.

This is it.

If I scored this, this would be my first time ever scoring a goal in hockey. I was racing down the ice. I could feel to cold wind of the soon-to-be December air hit my face. Every time I got closer to the goal, my heart rate would go up a little more. I got about five feet away from the goal. I lifted my stick to shoot the puck.

"Courtney! Stop!" I heard my best friend, Charlie Conway, yell from across the lake. I stopped real fast, put the foot of the stick down on the frozen lake and looked at his direction. I sighed in frustration.

"Man! What ha-" I stopped talking. I looked beyond Charlie to see a limo drive slowly onto the ice.

A limo.

I skated over to the group, not losing eye contact with the black, shiny limo. "What are they doin'?! They're gonna die!"

"I know! Who ever is driving that limo is stupid and out of their mind!" My other friend, Peter, yelled. The limo stopped in front of us. We all skated up it quickly to see who was inside. For a while, the limo sat still, as if it was like no one was even inside.

Then, all of a sudden, a man with a nice suit came out from the back seat. We all stared at him in amazement, but he said nothing to us. I still couldn't get my head around the fact that he could drive a huge limo like his onto the ice and be not nervous about it. I then started worrying about the ice below.

"Who are you?" Les asked. The man looked at Les sharply, then looked back at us.

He did look scary.

"I am your new coach, Coach Bombay." He introduced quickly. We sat in silence for about a minute, then we all broke into laughter.

"You? The coach? You got to be kidding me." Peter laughed as he looked at all of us.

We are a team, by the way. Our former coach left from a heart attack, so we have been playing on the ice for fun, waiting for a new coach.

"No. I'm not kidding you." Coach Bombay snapped. He started to reach into his breast pocket.

"Look out! He has a gun!" Dave yelled with panic. We all started to back up. Charlie put his arm in front of me for protection. Coach Bombay kept a straight face as he pulled out a piece of fold up paper. We all sighed and came a little closer.

"Now, here's what's on my list. Charlie, Dave, Peter, Les, Connie, Courtney, Guy, Terri, Goldberg, and Jesse. Now," He paused. "Wait, what happened to your old coach?" We all giggled quietly. Peter broke away from the group and coughed loudly to get everyone's attention.

"Well, he kept on yelling at us, then, while he was yelling he did this-" Peter explained. He acted like he had a heart attack and fell over. We all started to laugh harder, but Coach Bombay didn't take it to well.

"Great, a heart attack." Coach Bombay sighed as he rolled his eyes to the right. He then looked at the group and sighed once more. "Okay, let's see how you guys play. You five." Coach pointed at Charlie, Peter, Dave, Les and me. "Verses you six." Pointing at Goldberg, Jesse, Peter, Terri, Connie and Guy. Everyone left to go to their spots. Les and I skated up to Coach.

"Just to tell you, we kinda suck." Les stated in his sarcastic voice.

"I'll say who sucks around here." Coach snapped, still looking out onto the ice. I shot him a confused look.

"Do you even like hockey?" I asked. Coach Bombay looked down at me, which actually made me jump a little and grip my stick even tighter in fear.

"Let me get this straight; I don't like hockey and I don't like kids." Coach snapped. I looked down at my skates quickly. Les let out a little frustrated laugh.

"Was that suppose to be a pep talk?" Les asked.

"Just go out and play."