Chapter 8

Courtney

The next day, I walked into the locker room and went to my locker. I put in the combination and opened it. I sat down and got my jersey out of my bag. Then, I bent down and started to get off my shoes. "Hey." I heard someone say. I looked up and saw Les.

"Hey." I said back, while I looked down at my shoes again. I got my right shoe off, then started to untie my left shoe. Les went to his locker and opened it quickly.

"So, how's your lover?" He asked. I looked at him again with a confused look.

"What?" I asked, sitting up. He looked at me with wide eyes and nodded like I was stupid.

"The Hawk?" He asked. I was still staring at him. "You know, Ducks and Hawks, don't go together, sweetie. The Hawk will be nice and sweet, then, he'll get you from behind. Do you understand?" Les asked. I just stared at him. I looked down, rolling my eyes. Then I laughed a little, biting my lip. I bet down and took off my left shoe.

"Yes. I do understand you." I snapped.

"Great." I looked back up at him. I got up and slowly started to make my way towards him.

"But Adam is a Duck. Not a Hawk. He will play, as a Duck, he will quack like a Duck, and he will stick together, as a Duck, am I clear Les?" I asked in one breath as I got closer to him. I was so close to him, I was about an inch away from his face. He stared at me with no emotion in his face. I smiled and backed up a little. "Good, now let's get ready."

__________________________

Coach called us all out to center ice to talk to us. We all skated over to him and got down on one knee. I am tired and sweaty. "That was some great practice today, Ducks. Now, like I have said before, after hard work has to come some fun, we have... Thirty minutes left, so let's get going on free time!" Coach yelled happily. We all cheered and got up. Everyone started to play around. I started to skate to the goal. Adam came up to me.

"Hey Courtney." Adam said. I looked at him, then smiled.

"Hi Adam. What's up?" I asked. Adam smiled.

"Nothing much." We stopped at the goal. "Do you think I'm a Duck?" Adam asked. I smiled.

"I don't think, I know you are." I replied. Adam smiled even more.

"Wanna race?" Adam asked. I smiled and looked the other way, shrugging.

"I don't know, are you prepared to lose?" I asked. Adam started to laugh.

"Oh man, it's on." Adam stated while laughing. We got behind the goal. "Ready."

"Set." I said. We both looked at each other.

"Go!" We both yelled at the same time. We started to sprint real fast down the ice. We were tied, so I tried to go faster. We started to make a left turn around the goal.

I thought I had this in the bag, but I was going to fast. I tripped on my own skate and fell on my side. I slid and hit the wall really hard. I started to scream in pain. Adam turned around to come to me, sliding on his knees. He put on hand on my shoulder, then looked behind him.

"Coach! Help!" Adam screamed. I put my hand on my side because it hurt so much to move my upper body. I saw Coach come running to us.

"Adam! What the hell happen?" Coach asked in a hurry and with panic in his voice. Coach bent down grabbed me softly. I felt him put me on my back. "Charlie! Get the towel!" Coach screamed. Everyone started to crowd around me. The pain started to hurt even more. I squinted my eyes in agony. I felt like my side was on fire. "I'm going to call nine-one-one. Adam, keep an eye on her, okay?" Coach asked.

"I'm not gonna leave her." Adam stated. I opened my eyes and looked at Adam. He looked down to me. "I'm so sorry Courtney... It's all my fault." I kind of smiled through the pain to make him feel better.

"Adam... It's not... Your fault, I tripped... It was an accident. That's... That's all." I gasped for air. It really hurt to breathe now. Adam grabbed my hand that wasn't holding my side. Charlie came over and lifted my head and put the towel under my head. Then, he set my head back down.

"Court, you okay?" Charlie asked.

"Yeah, I think I broke.... something. Coach might have to.... bench me." I implied. Charlie shook his head.

"Don't think like that, Court. You probably didn't break anything and Coach won't have to bench you. You and Adam are the best players on this team." Charlie suggested.

"Charlie... I'll be... Be fine. Anyways, we are the... The Mighty Ducks, we will... Will get through this." I tried to explain. Adam and Charlie smiled. I saw Coach come running over again. He got on his knees.

"Hey Courtney. We are not too far from the hospital, so the paramedics are going to be here in about ten minutes."