Chapter 20

Courtney

The next day was the first day of the championships. We were all on the bench. The Ducks weren't here yet, my old team. "Okay guys! Today's the day we what?" Coach asked real loud.

"Kick some Duck butt!" Everyone cheered, except for me. I saw the Ducks come out. They were all looking at me. I just stared at them. I saw Adam, but I saw something on the shoulder on the jersey, I couldn't read it.

Two minutes till the game. We all went onto the ice to do the Star-Spangled Banner. After, we did warm up laps in circles. Stafford was in front of me, and McGill is behind me. I was the only girl on the team, of course. After the warm ups, we all went back to the bench.

"Jane." Coach snapped. I looked up. "Center ice." I sighed. He told everyone where they were going to be on the ice. "Okay guys, get on the ice and win! No losing!" Coach yelled. I got out first.

I heard Coach stop Larson (who's first name is Alex) and McGill. "Watch Courtney, you never know. And take care of Banks too, if you know what I'm saying." I got super mad, but I didn't say anything.

I went center ice, and Adam came in front of me. I looked at his shoulder. It said: in memory of Jane, #32. Forever a Duck. I was about to cry, but I snapped out of it. We both bent down.

"Adam." Adam looked at me. "Be careful, something might happen, like-" and before I could finish my sentence, the referee threw down the puck.

I got it real fast and passed it to McGill. He took it and started to sprint down the ice. Connie was right behind him.

Come on Connie.

McGill shot it, and it made it in. We all skated back. McGill came to me.

"Pretty impressed, huh?" McGill asked, trying to act tough. I rolled my eyes.

"No, I'm actually disappointed." I snapped. McGill gave me a dirty look and skated away. I went back to my spot.

Adam came in front of me. We didn't say anything. The referee threw the puck down. Adam got it this time. He started to race down the ice.

I saw McGill sprint down the ice after Adam, but McGill was charging at Adam. "Adam watch out!" I screamed. Adam looked behind him. McGill rammed into him.

Adam went down onto his stomach, but he did what I did when I fell on the ice, he slid, he slid right onto the goal. His head hit the pole of the goal.

I stopped skating and gasped. The alarm when off to say he made a goal. The Ducks started to cheer. But Adam wasn't getting up.

He was staying still on the ice.