Chapter 18

Adam

We all stared at him. I saw Charlie drop his stick. "What?" Charlie asked in shock.

"Courtney will not play for the Ducks anymore. She will be seeing us at the championships as a Hawk, not a Duck. I'm sorry guys, but I tried." Coach apologized. I was ready to burst. Madness was going though my mind.

"She's a Hawk?! What?! We need her on this team!" I yelled.

"I tried Adam! But I couldn't! It's not my doing! Look, she can play for us next year, but not this one." Coach explained.

The locker room door opened and Courtney walked in. We all stared at her. She was wearing a Hawks jacket, Hawks bag, Hawks everything. She stared back.

"I need to get my things out of my locker." Courtney said hoarsely. She put her had down and walked over next to me because her locker was next to mine.

She opened it and put her skates in, then her stick, then she got her jersey. She started at it. She flipped it around to the number and her last name.

I saw a tear fall onto the jersey. Right by #32. She put it into her Hawks bag real quick, then she put all her pads in there, then slammed the locker. She went in front of me, and stared at me.

She put her head down. "I'm sorry." She apologized. Then, she left. That fast. I sat down on the bench. I stared inside my locker. Even though I wasn't looking at everyone, I knew they were staring at me.

"Let's get on the ice guys. Leave Adam alone." Coach sighed. I heard everyone shuffle out of the locker room. "We'll be out on the ice if you want to join, Adam." I didn't say anything, I didn't move either. I just sat there like a statue.

I heard the door close. I shot up and slammed my locker super hard in anger. So hard, I heard Jesse yell, "what the hell was that?", then everyone laugh. I sat in front of Courtney's locker.

I then realized it wasn't closed all the way. I opened it slowly. I looked at the bottom of the locker. A note. I picked it up and opened in up. It read:

Dear Adam,

Hey look, I'm super sorry this had to happen. I never did want this to happen. I can't see y'all till really, the championships. I mean, since there is three games of championships. Well, that's what my new Coach says.

I already know who the jerks are of the team. I already had four boys hit on me. This really sucks. Coach (my couch) just is in this to win, not to have fun. I don't like it.

Tell everyone on the team I'm sorry and I miss the team. You guys are the closets friends I have ever had. Mostly you and Charlie. Anyway, I got to go. See you at the championships.

Xoxo,

Courtney Ocean Jane