Chapter 29

Courtney

It was night, I was sitting on my bed, reading a book. I love books. It's my favorite thing to do to pass time. I was re-reading That Was Then, This is Now, by SE Hinton. "Courtney! Phone call!" Dad yelled.

"Okay!" I ran out of my room and to the kitchen. I saw Dad still holding the phone.

"He says his names James. Know him?" Dad asked. I nodded and started to reach for the phone.

"Yeah. He's a hockey player." I replied. I grabbed the phone.

"Ducks?" Dad asked.

"No." I blurted. Dad stared at me.

"What team is he on then?" Dad asked. I swallowed hard. I became hesitate.

"Hawks." I said with a horse voice.

"Courtney..." Dad said.

"He's nice!" I yelled. Dad rolled his eyes. That made me smile. I grabbed the phone and put the phone up to my ear. "Hello?"

"Hey Courtney. It's James." James said.

"Hey James."

"Are you still free for tonight?" James asked. I looked at Dad, who was walking away, then I looked back at the floor.

"Uh, yes. Yes I am." I said. There was a pause.

"Great. Wanna go ice skating? Or go to the movies?" James asked. I thought about it, then shrugged.

"I don't care. You can choose." I said. There was another pause.

"Okay, let's go ice skating. Where do you live?" James asked. I gave him my address. "Okay, I'll see you later."

"Bye." I hung up the phone and started to run to my room to get ready.

"Courtney. Stop." Dad demanded. I stopped. "Why did he call?"

"He wants to go ice skating, that's all." I said.

"Courtney..." Dad said again. I turned and faced Dad. He had a newspaper in his hand, and he was looking at me.

"Dad, please. I know you want me to go out with Charlie, but can you just give James a chance? For me?" I asked Dad. He stared at me, then sighed.

"Courtney. I don't know. Let me see what he looks like and his attitude, then I'll decide." I smiled.

"Thanks Dad!" I ran to my bedroom and opened my closet. I got out my good shirt, a plaid shirt that's red, white, and black, and my jeans. I took off my clothes and put on my new ones. I pulled on my jacket and scarf.

I put on my converse too. I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth and brushed my hair. I heard the door bell ring. I ran to the door and opened it.

"Adam?" I looked at his right eye, and it was black. Adam has a black eye. "Adam, come in, you must be freezing." He walked in and I closed the door. "Adam what happened to your eye?"

"Got into a fight." Adam answered. I stared at him.

"With who?!"

"Stafford. Me and him got into a big fight after you left." Adam replied.

"Who threw the first punch?" I asked. Adam stared at me. "Adam... Who threw the first punch?" I asked again. He looked down and sighed.

"I did." Adam answered. I stared at him.

"Why? Why did you do that?" I asked.

"Because he said we didn't have a chance together, and that just got me so mad." Adam said. I sighed. I heard Dad walk in.

"Oh hi. Courtney, is this James?" Dad asked.

"No, this is my team mate. Dad, this is Adam Banks, Adam, this is my dad." I introduced. They shook hands. I heard someone knock on the door.

This can't be happening.

I opened the door and James was standing there with skates over his shoulder and a rose in his hand.

"Hi Courtney..." James said. He saw Adam. "What's he doing here?" Adam looked at him, then at me.

"What's he doing here?" Adam asked, pointing back at James.

"Me and Courtney are going ice skating." James replied. I looked at James lip. He cut it. I'm guessing from the fight, but I didn't want to say anything.

"Courtney, can we talk," Adam asked, then he looked at James. "In private?"

"Sure." We walked into my bedroom and Adam closed the door.

"So, you and James are a thing now?" Adam asked.

"No, we are just, going out for some ice skating, doesn't mean anything." I said. Adam put his head down and sighed. "Look Adam, I can't just hang out with you. You can't just be the only guy in my life. I need some other friends in my life too.

Look, I do still like you a lot, I'm, just, going ice skating. Nothing big." Adam nodded. I grabbed his hand. He looked at me. I smiled. He leaned in and kissed me. I kissed back. He was a very good kisser. He leaned back. But where our lips were still touching. I closed my eyes.

"Wanna go out for lunch after practice tomorrow?" Adam asked. I smiled.

"I thought you'd never ask." I pecked his lips one last time. I let go if his hand and left the room. Adam followed. I saw James and my dad hitting it off. They were laughing and everything.

"Oh, hi Courtney. James is an okay guy. You guys can go out tonight." Dad said. I started to giggle.

"Bye Courtney." Adam said. I looked at Adam and waved softly.

"Bye Adam." I said. Adam opened the door. He left, closing the door behind him.