Chapter 55

Adam

We were at the ice rink for practice. We were doing warm up laps. I was in front of Charlie, and behind Connie. Courtney had to be on the inside of the circle just in case she falls again.

Her rib is still pretty bad, but good enough to play. "Okay team! Bring it in!" Coach yelled. "Okay, we have some back ups for the team. Come in guys!"

Two players came out and skated in a circle, then skated to us. One of the took off their helmets. He looked really familiar. "This is Jonathan McGill. He played for the Hawks." Coach introduced.

I looked at Courtney. She was staring at him, and she looked mad. The other one took off his helmet. "And this is James Stafford. Also played for the Hawks." I saw Courtney get up quickly and skated away.

"Courtney!" James yelled. He skated after her.

"What was that about?" Coach asked. We all looked at each other. We knew what happened, but didn't want to tell him. I spoke up.

"They dated Coach, four years. But he broke up with her." I blurted. Coach nodded, still looking confused.

"Well, is she dating anyone now?" Coach asked.

"Yeah, Coach." I said. Coach looked at me again.

"Who?" Coach asked. I paused.

"Me." Coach stared at me.

"Oh. Well, go get her and see if she is alright." I nodded. I skated over and went into the locker room. I stopped at the corner and heard James and Courtney talking.

"What the hell are you doin' here?" Courtney snapped.

"Look, Coach saw me after the game you had against Italy and talked to me about being a backup. I'm sorry, mate." James apologized. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm sorry too." Courtney snapped.

"Look, I'm sorry I broke up with you. I thought you didn't like me anymore." He explained. There was a pause.

"No! I still did. I broke after you broke up with me. I never wanted a break up. If I didn't love you anymore I would have broke up with you. I just got mad because you hurt Adam. I don't like violence. Mostly my boyfriend beatin' up on my friend like that." Courtney said. There was another pause.

"I'm sorry. Can you take me back?" James asked.

"I'm datin' Adam. That wouldn't be fair. I love Adam now. I still have feelings for you, I think..." There was a pause. "Anyway, Adam and me are datin'. I have liked him for a while..." There was another pause.

"See, you liked Adam while we were dating."

"No! I didn't talk to him for four years! Four years, James! The first time I saw him after that four years is when he picked me up to get the team together." Courtney yelled. I wanted to cry.

To tell you the truth, I think I kind of wanted to kill myself inside one time during that four years of not seeing Courtney.

"I'm sorry, Court." James apologized.

"Don't call me that." Courtney snapped.

"I'm sorry." James said again, but this time, a little bit quieter. There was a pause. Then, I heard a huge slap.

"Don't even try to kiss me either. You broke up with me! We're done! D-O-N-E!" Courtney yelled. I heard her coming my direction. I hide behind the door.

Man, I will never get on her bad side.