49. Gabby Gums

It was another simple working day in the Iron Hammer...
Star Twinkle and Steel Hammer stored away their tools and were about to end their work.

"Another day, well spent!" Steel Hammer said overly enthusiastic, making it almost look like as if he just started his day.

Star Twinkle, on the other hoof, was glad that his work was finally done and that he could go home to relax.
But when he saw how three familiar fillies walked up to him and Steel Hammer, he instantly feared the worst.

"Oh, no!
It's Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo!
Please, tell me that they don't want me to join on another hunt for a Cutie Mark.
I rather want to go home now!"

He quickly tried to come up with some excuse but before he knew it, the Crusaders already stood right in front of him with excited faces.
They were all wearing reporter hats and had notebooks in their hooves.
Star Twinkle was thinking what this get-up was supposed to mean and how it would affect him, though it was painfully obvious for somepony who wasn't completely stressed out right now.

"Well, hello there, Cutie Mark Crusaders," Steel Hammer greeted cheerfully.

"What are you up to, this time?" Star Twinkle added a little annoyed as he walked up to the three fillies, knowing that they somehow would get him into some annoying trouble with their search for a Cutie Mark.

"We are researching some stories for our school paper," Apple Bloom replied while waving with her notebook in one of her hooves.

"Oh," Star Twinkle reacted surprised.
"That actually doesn't sound dangerous or crazy, unlike most stuff that you attempt,"

"It's just that we have to hurry!" Scootaloo said.

"Yeah, it might be our last chance to get our Cutie Marks!" Sweetie Belle added, frustrated.

"Last chance?
What are they even talking about?" Star Twinkle thought confused.

"Star Twinkle, can you believe that Featherweight got his Cutie Mark before us?" Apple Bloom said also frustrated.

"No, I can't...
Mainly because I have no idea who that is..." Star Twinkle replied in disinterest.

They may take this whole "getting a Cutie Mark" as serious as always, but at least they chose something normal and not dangerous where Star Twinkle had to worry about them.
He bit into the sour apple and asked if he could help them in any way but thankfully they declined.
They were working for the school so there was no way that he could help anyway.
Star Twinkle would lie if he would say that he wasn't relieved to hear that.

They walked off again in search of a story and left the two ponies with their work.

"They sure have lots of fun," Steel Hammer said as he waved the three fillies goodbye.

"Yeah..." Star Twinkle replied bored.

"I'm sure you have a lot of fun with those three,"

"Fun" is not the word how Star Twinkle would describe all the annoying things that they made him do in order to get a Cutie Mark.

Of course, Star Twinkle figured that he was harsher to them than they deserve.
He only spent time with them like this, once or twice in a week so it could be worse.

"Don't you think it's a little weird that a full grown stallion hangs around with three fillies to find his special talent?" Star Twinkle asked with narrowed eyes.

"You are never too old to have fun!
Besides, it's nice to see how you decide to find your special talent," Steel Hammer said with a proud smile on his face.