99. Secrets of Canterlot

Star Twinkle just came home from work a few minutes ago. He was tired and just wanted to relax for the rest of the day. He already laid in his bed, some snacks next to him, and a book ready to read.

An adventure here and there was unavoidable, that much he was getting used to but still, he needed a day to relax and recover from those things. Today was one of those days.

That's what he thought...

As soon as Star Twinkle was ready to "start" relaxing, somepony knocked on his door.

"Of course..." he just mumbled to himself before he got out of his bed to answer his door.

Seeing a certain pony standing on the other side of the door did not really surprise him. It was Twilight, who had a serious expression on her face.

"Star Twinkle, you need to come," she simply said.

"Of course..." Star Twinkle repeated with a bothered tone in his voice after he figured that the relaxed part of the day was over. "Let me guess...the map?" He asked annoyed.

But Twilight shook her head. "No...it's the princess," she explained.

Now Star Twinkle's attention was grabbed. Whenever Princess Celestia wanted something from them, it usually meant something very serious and threatening for Equestria. It was not as if the stallion could just say "no" now, not if it came from the princess. It looked like another adventure was afoot.

Later in Canterlot...

As usual, the princess was calling not only Star Twinkle and Twilight but the rest of their friends as well. They had to go to the throne room to meet the princess and have her tell them what reason she summoned them to her.

"Whatever could the princess want from us?" Rarity wondered.

But Rainbow Dash claimed to know the answer. "I bet she tells us that some big evil from the past returned and that we need to beat it up!" She said, getting excited to just think about it.

Star Twinkle figured that this would also be the case. Princess Celestia would not call for them if it wasn't important. Something dangerous must be going on that the group has to deal with. Knowing that made Star Twinkle feel rather worried.

The group entered the throne room and the princess was sitting on her throne, but as soon as the group of ponies entered, she stepped forward to them, in order to greet them.

"Princess Celestia, we are here!" Twilight announced towards the Alicorn Princess who was of course already aware of this.

Princess Celestia smiled at Twilight. "I'm glad you could all show up," she said before she decided to cut to the point quickly. "I'm sorry to trouble you with this but I have a task for all of you," she added.

Rainbow Dash got quickly excited. "You want us to beat up a bad guy? Or Rescue a whole country? How about fighting off monsters?" She asked in her excitement before Applejack looked at her as if she wanted to tell her to calm down.

But Princess Celestia paid that no mind and explained. "Something is happening in Canterlot for a while now. I...kinda feel embarrassed to not have done anything on my own so far but things...are complicated..." she said with worry colored on her face before she explained further. "Ponies are disappearing," she said.

The group felt rather surprised to hear that. "Disappearing?" Star Twinkle asked.

The princess nodded. "Ponies seemed to have disappeared for a long time now but they always showed up days later without any memories about what happened to them. That is why I ignored it for so long. But I fear that something or someone is behind all of this and I fear for the citizens of Canterlot," she explained.