10: And, Hold On Tight

Chapter 10: And, Hold On Tight

She fought the demons swimming in her head. The nightmares banged annoyingly as she drowned the sequences with alcohol. There sat Lexie Jones with a bottle in hand. Alice drove to the hospital with hungover Alexandra. Jughead was confused but didn't push her to answer. He was worried but he didn't have time to deal with more matters than his hands could handle.

"Family of Forsythe Pendleton Jones junior?" Lexie's reddened eyes raised as the doctor with a clipboard came forward.

Lexie stood wobbly as her eyes blurred for a second. She got up too fast and now was experiencing shortness in breath. Her worst thoughts were coming to life before her very
eyes. "That's us." She said with a hoarse voice.

The doctor looked around the waiting room and cracked a smile." Boy he has such a family."

"Yes he does." Toni says, holding her girlfriend's hand tightly.

"Is my dad okay?" Jughead asked hoping that his gut was right. His father was okay.

The room tensed." I'm not going to lie." Lexie's stomach flipped, not in the good way when you see someone you like kind of way. No it was the one that makes your world turn upside down and throws off the turning top and flat on your ass.

"Your dad is very hurt right now. But he'll be okay. His changes of hemorrhaging surpassed and he's now in the out of the woods." Everyone's eyes and face lit up." But he's not quite in the clear yet. It's up to him to wake up. Try talking to him. We like to believe that our comatose patients can still hear."

After the doctor left Lexie stood up and walked down the hallway. She finally reached her brother's room. She sat down in the closet chair to his hospital. She started telling him about her day and how much she missed him. She hoped
he can hear her. More than anything she wants him alive, breathing and her brother again.

Her hand loosely laid on top of her brother's cold hand. It felt like he had gone, passed but he was still there with her. His hands may be cold but he's still alive. He can't be dead. Lexie wouldn't let that thought come true. Not ever will she let that happen.

"For... I'm so so sorry. I never should've said that to you." She breathed shakily. Her hands rattled against the bed frame. "Please wake up, For. You are way better than dad. Never once did you lay a hand on me or even your wonderful spawns. Man I can't even imagine what it was like to grow up so fast. You saved me for all the hits and I could never be more thankful for that, For."

Her eyes fluttered back the glossy residue leaking off her eyelid. She squeezed his hand to see if he would respond. Sadly, she got no response.

"Lex." She shifted her head slightly and sighed deeply. There she found Alice holding a book to her ribcage. From where she was seated she couldn't exactly tell what book Alice was holding.

"What Al? Do you also want to tell me I'm the worst sister ever?" She scowled. A shade of shadiest roared over her face and Alice seemed a little sadden by the sudden outburst.

Alice slowly enters the room, surveying the beeping from the heart monitor connect to wire that were keeping FP alive. She's met by Lexie's soft eyes and she fought back the river in her eyes.

"No, no, I never thought that or think it now, Lexa." Lexie sighed deeply, eyeing at her toes as small tears trickle down her rosy cheeks; due to the freezing winter they have been having lately.

"Good." Softly she states before she collapses into Alice's comforting arms.

"Shh, it's going to be okay, Lex. He'll be okay, alright?" All she does is nod along, while streams run wide across her nose, neck and onto Alice's blue overcoat.

"Alright..." Her voice was weak, almost as if she already lost herself and touch of reality.
—-x—-
A few motel stops later, Dean was snoring loudly in the backseat as his brother forcefully took the car from him and he was forced to listen to his orders. Who does he think he is, he grumbled to himself.  He blinked his eyelids wide and scoffed. Hell no. His brother didn't just put on that on his baby.

"Oh hell no, Sammy!" He shouted, reaching over the back and slammed his finger into knob. Sam turned to face him with a glare in his eyes.

"What the hell, Dean?" Sam was busy listening to the radio when his big brother went crazy and nearly made him crash his brother's beloved Impala.

"Sam, this baby." Dean states as he used his arms to hug the Impala's head. "Only listens to Zeppelin, AC/DC and of course the legendary Freddie Mercury." Sam rolled his eyes and huffed.

"So... you're not even driving." He retorted, using that leverage against him.

If only Sam knew that his plan was about epically fail. "Pump the brake and pull over, Sam."

Sam gave his brother a look." W-What Dean—"

"Pull over, Sammy!" Dean interrupted him by ordering his brother to follow his direct orders.

Sam shook his head, pulling over to the left of the interstate and pulled the gear shift into park. Dean unlocked the back door, hopping back into Baby and brought his hand to his lips and blew a kiss. Sam rolled his eyes before grabbing the atlas from the glove department. When he opened the map, the dust blew in his face and he started hacking.

"You alright. Sammy?" Dean's brotherly senses kicked and he found himself questioning his brother and asking if he was okay.

Sam nodded his head and cleared his throat," Yeah." A scratch tickled at his throat. "Yeah I am. It was very dusty that's all." He tried to sound casual when he knew he couldn't fool his brother.

It was no use to even try. It would be better to die with dignity then a lie to his brother. "Okay." Dean sounded unsure if he believed him or not. Most likely he didn't believe a single word that came out of that man's mouth.

He started Baby up and returned his head to see if there were any cars in his review mirror. It was all clear, he pulled the shift into reverse and off they went. A mile up the road he saw a sign for the nearest Waffle House. Hmm maybe he could get some pecan pie, he thought to himself as his mouth watered a little.
—xxx
Sorry my updates are so short lately. I promise I'll update more often. I'm actually off thus weekend and it's three day weekend! Hell yes! Lexie's still angry and soon her brother will be okay. I'm not sure if I will have a time jump or not. I know, I know it's going really slow. But that's why it's called a slow burn for a reason. See you next time, love Aut.