30: Coffee Stains On Tiles

Chapter 30: Coffee Stains On Tiles

Drip, Drip, Drip, Drip, the coffee spilled over as the numbers swirled together. Sam watches as time shifts slowly. He can't believe Lexie did this to herself. Timing seemed calculated and he wishes Dean was still here. He would know what to do. He felt as if He was alone in this mess. A knock clears out his head, turning his head slightly to the visitor. The girl appeared from behind the door with a soft sad smile crossing her lips. Her eyes were sluggish from lack of sleep and high alert as she looked seriously, critically at the heart monitor. He observed the girl's actions and tried to not let his mind wander back to those thoughts he was having earlier before he laid eyes on her.

The little girl gave a quick smile, " You must be Sam, if I am correct?" His eyes widen in shock causing her to let out a quiet chuckle, " Ah, I was correct! Aunt Lexa spoke about you and Dean all the time." Sam sat up in his chair beside Lexe's hospital bed.

"She did?" He asks softly, The little girl smirked, "Oh. Yes she did and ugh Dean and his music!" Sam chuckled at her distaste to his older brother's music taste. He wasn't a fan as much as his brother and father were. He liked the 90's as the best genre for music.

"Yeah." He agrees with a slight smirk on his features, "I personally think the 90's era is the best music... don't tell Dean though," She nodded in agreement," Pink Floyd and Nirvana are the legends!"

Sam didn't know about this girl but he found himself enjoying her company. It was the first time in months he actually felt somewhat content with himself. Ever since Dean died, he just felt out of place and now that Lexie was disappearing before his eyes. He knows that he didn't handle Dean's death in the best way but there was no changing what has already happened. He just needed sometime to himself, and now that he was back. His head was cleared out.

"Yeah... they are..." His tone mellowed out," I'm JB. Lexie's niece." JB shook his hand and gave him a sad smile.

He looks up in surprise," Yeah she said a lot about you too. And I see that you liked to tease my brother." He knew he almost slipped by saying like. His heart tightened at the thought but he shook his head from those dark thoughts.

JB sighed," Yeah... I miss that guy." She tries to stop her thoughts from getting too carried away. Dean did really keep her aunt happy and now— JB, stop it! She scolded herself. She knows he won't be able to come back. She only wished that he could.

"Me too..." He trailed off, JB notices but doesn't say anything. She knows that he was his brother and someone dying like that — is devastating.

Before anything else was said, a voice startled them both. They looked to the door and sigh," Alice, what are you doing here?" His sister tried to mask her hurt by the tone but she knew he was still hurt by her actions.

Alice smiles weakly," Uh, JB, I'm watching you. You can't run off when— never mind. Let's just go..." JB nods her head and storms through the doorway.

Her eyes float back to Sam,"I'm sorry about her. She's just hurting right now." Sam nods and let's Alice walk through the door.

—-xxx—

FP set down his phone on his work desk. He tried focusing on his cases but his mind was drowning. How was he supposed when his sister is lying in a hospital bed hooked up to wires to keep her wanted to yell, scream and cry at this very second. At times like this he wished his mother hadn't taken off. He needed his mom to tell him what to do. He kept reflecting back to that night she ran off. Although she chose to leave them. They didn't choose for her to leave. He had been so angry over these years. Why didn't she come back for them? Were they a mistake? All those thoughts kept popping up as he tried his hardest to work.