Clumsy Egg

(Bold is Chinese)

"Looking for someone?"

Meixing spun around. There he was. Xiao Dejun, the boy she'd forgotten about. 

"Xiao Dejun?" 

Dejun nodded. Meixing spotted the glimmer of hope in his dark brown eyes. Meixing smirked as she got an idea. 

"More like Xiao Ben Dan ("Clumsy Egg")," she snickered. Dejun's eyes grew wide at the sound of his childhood nickname from Meixing. That was when he knew Meixing had remembered him. 

Dejun's lips parted, speechless. Meixing's lips formed a line, not knowing what to do. Meixing was good at knowing when to apologize, but she wasn't good at dealing with her emotions in an apology. 

"I'm sorry, loser," is what she settled with for an apology. "I'm sorry that I forgot about you, Jun. I-"

Meixing was cut off by a pair of arms wrapping around her. Meixing wasn't much of a hugger, either. She stood immobile and passive, letting Dejun envelop her. She didn't flinch, her face calm. Her arms eventually lifted clumsily, patting Dejun's back. A grin formed on Dejun's face, and although Meixing couldn't see him, she knew it was there. 

Xiaojun patted Meixing's head equally as clumsy and pulled away. He smiled brightly at her. She looked around, not knowing what to do. Meixing was really awkward. She decided to make one of her lame jokes. 

"Wow, that smile is brighter than my future," she said, waving her jazz hands at Dejun. He sighed, looking crestfallen in seconds. 

"You're still making those jokes? I'm not impressed," he joked. 

Meixing pointed a finger gun at Dejun. She opened her mouth to speak, then close it. "Oh really? I will have you know that "those jokes" are quite hilarious and you can fight me." Meixing started jumping around, her hands balled into fists, trying to prove she could take on anything. Dejun smirked and placed his hands over Meixing's fists, pushing them down.

"Ma'am, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to put those away. Store policy," he joked. Meixing laughed and shook her head. Even though meixing hadn't seen Dejun in four years and barely had a full conversation with him since, the two were already joking. 

As if they hadn't been torn from each other.